HybridZ

Vq35hr??

Pharaohabq

I'm starting to amass parts for my VQ powered 280z. I've got a 280, I just bought what they said is a VQ35HR from an 07 350Z. The engine should be here next week and I can post better pictures. From what I can tell this engine uses two throttle bodies. I'll have the wiring harnesses, but I'm going to be looking for ECU/BCU for it, since the engine didn't come with it. (I'm paying $900 for the engine alone, so that's a pretty good deal, if it is all that they say it is.) Though there's another 03 VQ on Ebay right now for 900 as well, but I wanted the 07.

How much do you all know about the VQ35HR, as compared to the VQ35DE? I would assume most of it is the same, though I imagine a DE ECU won't work with an HR engine right?

I want to stick with stock electronics, just for the ease of wiring, but an HR ECU isn't very common.

Aside from the throttle bodies, are there any other obvious differences between the engines?

I'm looking for a 6sp tranny cheap, if anyone has a line on one.

240hoke, I might want one of your tranny adaptors too.

Phar

Updated HR picts:

Plenum:

post-4150-0-91433600-1372719118_thumb.jpg

Engine front:
post-4150-0-29538400-1372719188_thumb.jpg

Intake ports

post-4150-0-13999000-1372719832_thumb.jpg

Left side of engine sans PS, Alt.

post-4150-0-02577700-1372719962_thumb.jpg

Engine Wiring harness:

post-4150-0-60127800-1372719920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pharaohabq

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HR engines are far superior internally to the DE engines. They have 20mm taller decks/longer rods for higher revs, better rod bolts, better water passage/cooling setup, oil pumps, cams phasing on intake & exhaust, blah, blah, blah.

Great engine, but yes, it will be hard for you to find an OEM ECU to run it.

Also, the 6spd trans has to be from an 07-08 as well since earlier 6spds. have different bell housings.

The HR engines are far superior internally to the DE engines. They have 20mm taller decks/longer rods for higher revs, better rod bolts, better water passage/cooling setup, oil pumps, cams phasing on intake & exhaust, blah, blah, blah.

Great engine, but yes, it will be hard for you to find an OEM ECU to run it.

Also, the 6spd trans has to be from an 07-08 as well since earlier 6spds. have different bell housings.

Thanks, yeah, I'm still learning the differences in the trannys n such. The ECU/BCM combo will be the hardest part I think. but maybe I'll get lucky..

Where do you find your information on the HR?

Oh also, The wiring harnesses, Does anyone know if the passenger compartment harness changed between 06/07? I imagine the ECU and BCU are probably paired, so I'll try to find the brains from the same source. but if the interior harness didn't change then it'll be a lot easier to find one.

Anyone know where I can find a 350z FSM?

Thanks,

Phar.

Phar

Thanks, yeah, I'm still learning the differences in the trannys n such. The ECU/BCM combo will be the hardest part I think. but maybe I'll get lucky..

Where do you find your information on the HR?

Oh also, The wiring harnesses, Does anyone know if the passenger compartment harness changed between 06/07? I imagine the ECU and BCU are probably paired, so I'll try to find the brains from the same source. but if the interior harness didn't change then it'll be a lot easier to find one.

Anyone know where I can find a 350z FSM?

Thanks,

Phar.

phatg20.net will have fsm... maybe not 08's but should have 05/06 maaybe 07

I would recommend getting getting the wiring diagrams from AHDOL.com thats where i got mine for my 02 maxima since thats the ecu i'm using.

nice! found the 07 FSM on there, that'll help a lot. I'll look into the wiring diagram, that could be really helpful. I might be interrested in the BCM, but I'll need to check on model specifics, and see if I can get one with an ECU or not. I understand if I get them all from the same car, then likely I wouldn't have to have a dealer reset them for me. that may not be possible tho.

Phar

Here are the main differences to be exact:

• HR stands for High Response (or High Revolution)
  • 5th Generation of the VQ.
  • Redline increase to 7500rpm
  • Higher compression ratio: 10.6:1 (previously 10.3:1)

• Redesigned block for increased rigidity: ladder frame reinforcment
  • Increased height of cylinder blocks
  • New cylinder heads
  • Improved coolant system flow

• Worldwide first hydrogen free DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating for lowered frictionon valve lifters
  • Stronger valve springs
  • Larger valve diameters

• Hydraulic CVTC on intake side
  • Electromagnetic CVTC on exhaust side

• Adoption of isometric exhaust manifold
  • Equal length exhaust manifold

• Reinforced Chain cover
  • Sound insulating engine cover

• New oil pump rotor
  • Reinforced oil pan

• Enlarged crank journal diameter
  • Enlarged diameter crank pin

• Twin knock sensors
  • Symmetric intake system
  • Straight inlet port

• Iridium spark plugs
  • Spark plug modified into M12

• Asymmetric piston skirt
  • Longer Conrod
  • Processing PVD Piston Ring

Definately a much more stout engine, but a 6HP increase from the VQ rev-up is dissapointing.

Myron,

The VQ35HR is actually using the SAE new standard of measuring hp. So if using the older standard used for the VQ35DE, the 306hp/260tq (SAE) is more like 315hp/270tq.

WOOOT! balls is balls man.... both ways this thing will be a rocket if I can make it run. Shipping company says tuesday or weds is should get here..

Really though thanks EMWHYR0HEN for the run down of differences. it really makes me happy I bought this one rather than the 03, tho the 03 came with engine mounts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130275460237&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.search.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D130275460237%26fvi%3D1

It's got 15 hours left on it as of 4:30PM on 12/18/08 is anyone's looking for an engine... $900 bucks and free shipping.

Tho that one doesn't look like it comes with an ECU either, or cats. The one I'm getting comes with cats but no ECU.

Phar

okay, so I guess nobody bought that 03 off Ebay, ended w/ 1 bid, lucky guy.

So my engine showed up today, I was going to take some pictures when I got home, so I'll post those later.

Initial look, it looks prettty darn good. No shipping damage. clean clean too, looks new. The intake needs to still be tightened down, but it looks like it's all there. I thought it came with Cats, but I guess those weren't included. I'll have to see what I can find there, later on. Wiring harness, I need to go through, but I didn't see any cut wires. It has the flywheel, but no clutch bolted on so I'll have to find one of those too. All in all it looks pretty sweet. I gotta find an engine stand, to make it easier to go through the engine. I was thinking I might take off the oilpan and look at the bottom of the cylinder sleeves. I'm not sure if I should risk opening the bearings to check them out n risk anything. I guess if there's a problem w/ the engine there might be shavings in the pan. Always stuff to worry about when buying a cheap used engine. Anything else you guys think I should check out before continuing my build.

I'll post picts soon.

yeah, so I didn't get a lot done this week since I've been down w/ a cold, and there's no heat in the garage. I did inspect the new VQ a little. looks like I'll need to find some Cats, a clutch pressure plate and clutch assy. the Wiring harness doesn't look to be cut, but it's going to be fun figuring out where everything goes. I know I won't need everything, but since it's there, I might leave a lot of it, but just put labels on everything. We'll see. So, for now, holding on health, weather and parts.

Now an 07 ECU is proving difficult to find too. cheap that is.

Phar

• 2 months later...

Okay, so I found a 6sp that will fit the HR, that was a task, since there's a change in the bell housing for 07+. I'm looking for a stock shifter for it though. I'm also looking for an ECU (07-08HR) I got the alt, AC pump and stock mounts. so the pile keeps getting bigger. I've got a line on the cats and I want one of austin's relocators.

I'm going to have to get on this project soon or I'll run out of space in the garage to store the parts. That or I'll get to talk my wife into letting me build a larger workshop :wink: hehe.. riiiight. not likely. I have to finish the bathroom remodel before she'll let me build a workshop I'm sure.

phar

• 2 weeks later...
phatg20.net will have fsm... maybe not 08's but should have 05/06 maaybe 07

I would recommend getting getting the wiring diagrams from AHDOL.com thats where i got mine for my 02 maxima since thats the ecu i'm using.

whoa wait you have an 02 max are you on the .org for maximas?

They have 20mm taller decks/longer rods for higher revs

shorter stroke/wider bore = higher revs, doesn't it? I think nissan just managed to extract a bit more revs out of the engine with the strengthened parts and decided that the longer stroke will go a long way in keeping torque and hp numbers in spec with what's current and the fact that everything is stronger allows them to rev higher. I don't think it's the length of the rods that allows them to rev higher, it would be quite the opposite from what I've learned over the years of reading technical text

• 2 weeks later...

okay, looking for a source for bolts... I need the bolts to bolt the tranny to the engine, and other misc M10 and M14 bolts. Anyone know what grade the engine/tranny bolts should be? 5? I've never had to worry about these before so it's hard to say even what size I need. I guess I need to hit the dealership up and ask a lot of questions.

Phar

okay, looking for a source for bolts... I need the bolts to bolt the tranny to the engine, and other misc M10 and M14 bolts. Anyone know what grade the engine/tranny bolts should be? 5? I've never had to worry about these before so it's hard to say even what size I need. I guess I need to hit the dealership up and ask a lot of questions.

Phar

and I bet they're gunna tell ya hu? sounds like a good idea with the engine swap but I dont know what to do.

and I bet they're gunna tell ya hu? sounds like a good idea with the engine swap but I dont know what to do.

Yeah, I know. Getting info from them is kinda like pulling teeth. it's kinda annoying, but hey, what can you do.?

It would be nice if the junkyards around here actually kept the 350z cars they get in, but most of those go to the big yards on the coasts.