HybridZ

guess on weight??

ok so it is the dead of winter and getting my car to a scale would be about impossible. i have searched a little with no straight answer....

i have a 280z with a narrowed 9'' 31/18.50/15 and skinnies iron head 355 with a power glide. the rear of the car is all aluminum flooring. and it still hase the big ass steel bumpers:rolleyesg what kind of weight do you guys think i am at???? my guess was around 2800... your thoughts??? thanks...

some pics..sorry for the poor quality

0425081128.jpg

1003071111.jpg

P6280224.jpg

I am going to guess maybe higher than that, but under 3000. I wouldn't bet any lower than 2800, but I am clueless on the weight of the motor/axle train (not a domestic guy)

But I have to ask, what do you mean by all aluminum flooring in the rear??? Also, any more thorough pics of the roll cage/T top setup (including the window seal at the top; IS there a pair of tops that go in there or is this a dry weather vehicle?)

My LT1 4L60E with stock rear end and no roll cage weighs in at 2905 with 17 gallons of fuel. I have added bad dog frames and a lot of metal for the Z28 fule tank I added. I replaced the rear floor on mine too but it is truck bed sheet metal. I would think with the rear sectioned and an all cast engine you're going to be right around there or over. If you wnat to drop over 100 pounds get rid of those stock bumpers!

basicly from the seats back is all aluminum sheet metal. my goal it to be at 2700 race weight with removing all of the dash and heater core hvac ect and yes those big ass bumpers have to go.....there isnt much to see on the roof the dude who built it thought it was a good idea to cut out the roof :rolleyesg i will be welding that back in before spring...i dont have much for good pics sorry...

P6280221.jpg

a little video before the tranny was fixed....(1st gear only)

th_P4250005.jpg

it is taking me a bit to find them all but here are some more.....btw the dyno session was a complete waste of time the car ran like tottal crap and only made 265rwhp/275 rwtq :cry: car felt like is was running on 5 cyl. but i guess thats what i get for trying to get the car ready the morning of the dyno event lol ( by morning i mean 3am)100_6290.JPG100_6289.JPG100_6228.JPG

The stock fenders and quarters are steel. However, you have got some nice Jim Cook Racing fender flares. Car looks the business, just hope you'll be getting her there soon :D

Davy

i am not sure what kind they are to be honest:cry: i know it is 15+ years old....i was told once it was a california z wide body??

i am not sure what kind they are to be honest:cry: i know it is 15+ years old....i was told once it was a california z wide body??

Yes, it is a California Z kit, which was manufactured by Jim Cook Racing. Don't go changing that either--it adds to the Z's collective badness.

Davy

The AC control unit is one, large unit that weighs, oh, around 20-25 pounds or so? The core in the heater box is about 10 pounds or so (plus water weight.) The dashboard, complete, is probably something along the lines of another 35 pounds or so?? I *may* be lowballing (if anything) and your equipment on a '77 *may* be a tad heavier than what I have held in my hands (semi-stripped late 260 dash, but I've handled numerous dashboards and they all seem about the same)

If you REALLY want to shed weight, the window glass and crank mechanisms are one more place to look. My two brothers pulled the window glass, regulators, and cut the interior door skin out, as well as removing the heater core from the box, and "some small wiring stuff" to the tune of 50 pounds.

If I have time and remember, tomorrow I will try to get some rough weights on 240 dashboards and the semi stripped 260 dash, as well as a clearer definition of "semi-stripped." Unfortunately, the only complete, 280 dashboards that the family has are installed in my 75, and my dads 78. BUT.. these ARE good questions, and I DO have a complete AC control unit that I need to pull out of my passenger seat to get the car off the trailer tomorrow.. we also have a couple complete 240 dashes, that semi-stripped 260 one, and a scale all already handy there at the shop, and one day fairly soon the complete dash will be pulled from my 75..... so I really need to make a mental note to collect all this data.