HybridZ

Electric Power Steering

Mike Mileski

• 4 weeks later...

Electric power steering is amazing! I have in my new F-150 and I honestly never want to drive with hydraulic power steering again. Amazingly smooth and responsive and you get none of the steering shudder that you would with hydraulic. not to mention you have less strain on the engine, no power steering fluid to deal with and clears up your engine bay. I'm buying this without a doubt!

• 2 years later...

This is an older thread, but since there has been progress in this area, I thought I'd add this update.  I just installed this unit into my Z and when it's off, it's exactly like stock.  You can dial in the amount of assist, so it gives you flexibilty in that regard.  Now you can just send in your column for a core and get a ready to go unit, making it a simple upgrade that pretty much anyone can do.  They have sold many to Z owners overseas and here in the USA, along with many 'o hotrodders, '60s Mustangs and the like.  Very cool. 

post-505-0-40957700-1402692424_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-48597900-1402692425_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-99615100-1402692750_thumb.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the unit in Gary's pics above came from here:

http://zpowersteering.com/

I just (finally) installed one of these in my Z as well, and it's a HUGE difference!  My 4" downpipe meant that I had to pay a little more attention to fitment of the column and clearance of the steering shaft than most, but it's in and working great.

• Like 1

I had 265's up front and a Momo Wheel...that MSA Auto-X at Pomona.... My hands were shot, stopped counting after 28 passes... I pulled out of line and by that time you were literally making a run and getting in line behind 4-6 cars at staging. With three cars on the course at any given time...it was almost like the drive from the timing box to the start line was just a technical low speed section...

Man, Power Steering would have been nice that day!

If I'm not mistaken, the unit in Gary's pics above came from here:

http://zpowersteering.com/

I just (finally) installed one of these in my Z as well, and it's a HUGE difference!  My 4" downpipe meant that I had to pay a little more attention to fitment of the column and clearance of the steering shaft than most, but it's in and working great.

Actually, I got mine locally, which is the manufacturer of the units for a wide variety of cars, but the Zpowersteering guy is a distributor/seller of just the Z unit. Either way , it's the same setup. The original used the top & bottom halves of the stock steering column and firewall mounting flange, but the new version now just uses the top part. Nice piece, for sure and he is selling quite a few for lots of different cars. Good stuff!

I'm interested in the steering feel and how it operates when you let go of the wheel.  In the ones I have driven they feel numb.  I'm looking for the same feel as manual but with some assist and no damping when you release the wheel.  Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Cary

• 4 weeks later...

I drove a car with the same setup and it gives you nearly the same feel, just with less effort.  When off, it feels exactly like stock and is controlled manually via the dial, does not have speed sensing, so the feel is linear. 

Of the couple of race teams using this setup, they actually commented on how much better the steering feel is, even in road race conditions and is better than hydraulic PS.  On cars with big flares and slicks, it was an even better improvement and offered better feel & control when pushed to the limit under high loads. 

These guys (http://www.usautoperformance.com/epas/ ) have the different amperage units and control modules for different applications, specifically developed the product for the racing and high performance vehicles and NOT the mass consumer market that isn't worried so much about feel & performance, just less effort. 

That's my 2 cents. 

Good to hear.  I drove a Honda with EPAS and it  sucked.  The steering was numb to me.  At low turning rates you could feel pulsing.  Did you upgrade your steering joints to deal with the extra torque?  That would be one concern using older parts with this.  And my final question what amp range did you go for?

Cary

I don't like the price but it sure is interesting. I am very intrigued but would like to hear from more people that have used it. Their website has a place for testimonials but there is only one. 

Would it react fast enough for autox use?

The torque applied to the steering components would be the same or very close, it's the input torque (from your hands/arms) that is reduced through the use of power steering such as this.

Not true. Since your input torque is multiplied, you can put much more torque on the steering components and the chassis with power steering. You can pull the wheel just as hard as you could before, but the power at the rack is increased. Exacerbated more if and when you make the steering faster.

I ended up getting a Woodward hydraulic rack because it did both faster and power assist, and in their tech info they talk about beefing up the chassis where the rack bolts on to handle the extra loads. It shouldn't be too hard to add in a steering quickener box to one of these electric systems, but then I wonder if you'll be pulling the rack apart, wrecking the bushings and joints.

Edited by JMortensen

Good to hear.  I drove a Honda with EPAS and it  sucked.  The steering was numb to me.  At low turning rates you could feel pulsing.  Did you upgrade your steering joints to deal with the extra torque?  That would be one concern using older parts with this.  And my final question what amp range did you go for?

Cary

I have the 45 amp unit and every part of the suspension is new, aside from the rack.  No pulsing and is much smoother than the stock hydraulic setup in my BMW 540i M-sport.  I drove a '60s Mustang with it and it makes a BIG difference, as the steering in those things is awful. 

• 4 weeks later...