HybridZ

Electric Power Steering

Mike Mileski

• Administrators
that is beautiful. but i still favor the first one. does not have that extra welded on the intake.

There is nothing "extra" welded on the intake. The first picture is slightly disassembled and has no air filter.

Edited by RTz

The only question I can think of is does that Unisteer unit have a variable effort control? It looks like its designed to be bolted to the firewall in the engine bay which is a plus, if there is spce for it to fit of course.

Any word on this? I'd like electric power steering, but not if I lose all feeling through the wheel.

The unit that was installed is a variable assist electric power steering. The faster you go the less assist is needed. From the small amount of time I have driven it so far. When up to speed it steers pretty much the same as before the change.

Zbuff

The unit that was installed is a variable assist electric power steering. The faster you go the less assist is needed. From the small amount of time I have driven it so far. When up to speed it steers pretty much the same as before the change.

How does it know how fast you're going?

cause it's from japan and very smart:mrgreen: [sorry i couldn't resist].

i believe it ties into the vss- vehicle speed sensor. my car has one that comes off the t56 into the gm pcm, i tapped into it to provide the vss signal for my cruise control.

How does it know how fast you're going?

Yep, The first post was accidently sent before I was finished. Please excuse my clummsyness. Thank-you so much for your compliments it is always nice when you work is appreciated.

As I was saying. It was through the efforts a team of individuals that have made this car. I have owned this car for approx. 27 years and at one time it was my daily driver, now it is a weekend cruzer that my wife and I love to tool around in. With that being said; here are the people responsible for the engine compartment.

Paul Raushman aka (Braap) Paul rebuilt the low end and ported and polished the N42 head (See thread on Hybridz) This head was ported even more when Ron Tyler designed and built a custom plenum and runners for this application (see thread). If you look closely on the head, you might notice the cam inspection cover and fuel pump cover are no longer there. Paul removed and welded up these ports so I could polish with fewer blems to worry about. Paul is also the source of the Rick Davis raditor

Ron Tyler aka RTz Ron designed, built and installed a custom plenum, runners and fuel rail. He then installed Wolf V4 ignition and injection management. This is then backed up with J & S ignition controls. The J & S system with monitor and adjust on the fly and cylinder that might be getting close to predetonation. Another system that Ron T. designed was the 6 coil Denso igination as shown

Rick Mendez was my painter. Lots and lots of hours were spent in prepping and painting the engine compartment. Where do you hide or eliminate everything and still make it work. If you notice there is no battery to be seen.

As for me, what did I do. Oh ya. Everything that was not chromed was polished by yours truly and yes there are some more hours but I believe the product is getting close to what I want.

Yep, The first post was accidently sent before I was finished. Please excuse my clummsyness. Thank-you so much for your compliments it is always nice when you work is appreciated.

As it happens I'll be using a T56 so that might be a convenient way to go. How did you hook up a speed sensor to an old Datsun transmission? Sensor on driveshaft? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really curious about what all is needed to get this system up and running.

I know with the setup I got from Japan (yet to be installed, and I believe the same source that Brain gets the units as shown by Zbuff) was supplied with a speed sensor that connects to the standard mechanical output from the gearbox. This sensor then passes the mechanical drive to the speedo cable.

So gearbox drive ---- new speed senor ---- speedo cable

For me I will not be running the speedo cable as I have a new electronic speedo.

• 2 weeks later...
My PS is too light so no feel, electric may be a solution?
I guess one of the good things about the electric assist setup's is that they stop working at some speed/point. So you can use some PWM circuitry to change the speed sensor before inputting to the EPAS ECU (Electric Power Assist Steering) and thus giving you the feel/feedback you require.

• Administrators

I recently went for a short drive in Zbuff's car... sort of. Wet roads, with scattered patches of ice. Just toodling around surface streets and empty parking lots. It's very Camry-like. Easy, pleasant, and no fuss (not a hint of noise either). However it's damping is also very Camry-like. When pushed hard enough to scrub the front tires, the feedback is there, but highly subdued.

If you're looking for the ultimate in feedback, a performance oriented hydraulic system might suit you better. Otherwise, its very very nice.

• 2 months later...

OK. Wow.

1. Nice Z.

2. I want one of these kits - how much did you pay?

3. Where the heck did you get it? Through zcarbum? Whats the best way to get one of these ordered?

Very keen to get my hands onto something similar. Would appreciate a pointer in the right direction

Cheers!

Shan

• 1 year later...

WaaaaaaHooooooo:mrgreen:

Today I picked up my '76 280Z 2+2 from the shop with my new electric power steering installed. Wow, does it make a difference on how the car handles. I purchased this unit from Brian K. of zcarbum@aol.com fame. Thank you Brian your product it is a seriously very nice addition to my car.

[

th_IMG_1266.jpg

The unit was installed by Dustin Rinehart of Peak Performance in Eugene, Oregon. All work was extremely well done with a very nice custom application. No wires are showing, in fact I don't think anyone would notice the car even had power steering unless they got behind the wheel and drove it.

th_IMG_1267.jpg

I have driven it very little presently as the rain is still coming down and I have a lot of clean to do after the car has sat for the last few months at Dustin's shop.

From the driving that I have done however, it is now a very manageable car. The feeling in the steering wheel is very solid and gives you confidence in the handling of the car. Now instead of using muscle by armstrong when trying to steer the car at a stop, it is a two finger job. Very easy, but not too easy to the touch. There is no noice associated at all with the opertation of the ps when in use.

I will be painting the bottom portion of the (motor) black just to hide it from the most discerning eye. Now on to my next project.

th_IMG_1327.jpg

th_IMG_1328.jpg

th_IMG_1330.jpg

th_IMG_1329.jpg

th_AutzenFront.jpg

th_P1010022.jpg

I'm interested in buying one of these units - I saw the unit on the JDM site and also the Unisteer unit - I like this one best (ZBuff's install) ! How can I get one? Zbuff can you "steer" me in the right direction?

• 7 months later...

I bought this power steering elc.rack motor off ebay its for a 07 cobalt ($57) I plan on coupling it to the BMW pump with a reservoir and then I can mount it anywhere.

post-19941-073540500 1337536112_thumb.jpg

post-19941-073816200 1337536727_thumb.jpg

Edited by ckrell