HybridZ

Surge Tank Lift pump

ArizonaZ

Im going to be megasquirting my 260Z and im going to be using a surge tank with my 260Z tank. I know that I will need a surge tank, and I plan on using a 280ZX fuel pump to feed my injectors. My question is will a 42 GPH fuel pump be sufficient to feed my surge tank, or would I need a higher rated pump.

Thanks

Brad

I used the stock electric pump that came in the 73 240 and 74 260 to feed my surge tank, along with running the return line into the top of the tank.

I have never had an issue with that setup. Frankly, I think once that tank is full, just the return flow on it's own is likely to sustain the main pump.

I set up another 240 some years ago with a low-pressure carter fuel pump for carburettors that had an internal 4psi cutout switch. At idle I could hear that pump come on before I started the car, and then shut off at idle. I eventually put a light on the circuit, and found that unless I was on boost, the pump usually was shut off! But in corners it would come on... so it's there 'if you need it'!

• 6 years later...

I would like to bump this old thread for a related question.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend what I should use for a lift pump 

Here is some info about my car

approximately 340hp 3.35L stroked L28 built by rebello

It's fuel injected

This is what I have for a surge tank

http://store.034motorsport.com/fully-enclosed-fp34-044-fuel-surge-tank.html

It has a internal bosch 044 fuel pump inside which puts out 80 gph. The enclosure holds about 1 Liter. I will be running the return line back to the surge tank.

I have this fuel pump in mind to use as a lift pump to feed the surge tank.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NISMO-Electric-Fuel-Pump-DATSUN-510-1200-240Z-B10-280Z-B110-S110-120Y-Nissan-/221407112643

The pump puts out about 20GPH

Think it's enough?

Or should I aim for a pump with more flow?

Thanks!