HybridZ

Bee*R Rev Limiter Opinions

Midnight-280Z

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I can get your opinions on this rev limiter product. It's called Bee*R Rev Limiter (Reputable performance shop and parts in Japan) and I'm so curious about this product that I might buy it.

So there are 2 functions that this was designed for. Launch control (similar to MSD 2 Step) and rev limiter. Here's what it does and what I have found out. You can also Youtube Bee-R rev limiter for videos.

Rev Limiter

When set to X RPM (increments of 500) this unit will cut off ignition when that specific rpm is reached thus limiting your rev. However, fuel is still being delivered. The raw fuel is then burned by your hot exhaust resulting in BANG BANG (flames and popping sound).

Launch Control

You will need to wire this to your E-Brake switch in-order to get this to work for the launch control...Works the same as the rev limiter but your E-Brake has to be on (I'm sure you can wire it differently).

Unit has 3 dials

1. Rev 1 (this knob is used to set your RPM for the rev limiter)

2. Rev 2 (this knob is used to set your RPM for launch control)

3. Gain (The lower you set it, the quieter the BANG and quicker popping sound. Higher setting has louder BANG. I believe this also controls the ignition cut off time as lower settings will have a rapid popping sound and higher setting will have more of a single BOOM)

Electronically controlled. Unit is placed inside the cabin for simple and easy adjustment. On/Off function.

!THIS IS IN NO WAY A TURBO ANTI-LAG SYSTEM!

Some questions I wanted to ask as I'm sure there are many different answers, but as stated I'm looking to see what people think about this product.

1. Is ignition cut off better than the OEM ECU's way of rev limiting (leaning)?

2. Rumors are you may damage your vehicle's engine (similar to anti-lag damage). Is this true? (Damage to the catalytic is guaranteed if you have one)

3. How important is it to have a rev limiter for a RB25DET? (This car will be used for daily driving, auto-cross, track every now and then, spirited mountain driving and I might even try to drift this bad boy every now and then)

4. Do you see any downside?

Remember, this is not a Turbo Anti-lag System nor was it designed to be one. The BANG, BOOM, and flames is a result of the outcome.

Your guys' feedback is greatly appreciated and welcomed...Thanks again

Well this product is more of a novelty then anything and I personally would advise against it especially if you are putting it on a car you drive daily. If it engages anywhere near a cop you will probably get a ticket and would give them a reason to pull you over and search for more reasons to ticket you. As far as I know it is harmless to your exhaust system and such. The stock RB25 ECU is already equipped with a factory rev limiter so you really wouldn't benefit. If you are worried about it then a shift light would be more sensible option, Im putting one in my car. A friend of mine has one on his civic (theres your sign) and it is so loud that he sold it on ebay because its sorta embarressing haha.

I've installed one of these in my buddies 240sx w/sr20det. It makes a loud bang when you get it to hit the limiter but I've never been able to get it to spit out a flame like in the videos. The launch feature is a nice feature. I hooked it up to the clutch switch so when you have the clutch all the way down it it kicks it on until you dump the clutch. It just takes a negitive trigger so you could just hook it to a push button if you wanted to.

I've installed one of these in my buddies 240sx w/sr20det. It makes a loud bang when you get it to hit the limiter but I've never been able to get it to spit out a flame like in the videos. The launch feature is a nice feature. I hooked it up to the clutch switch so when you have the clutch all the way down it it kicks it on until you dump the clutch. It just takes a negitive trigger so you could just hook it to a push button if you wanted to.

if your friend has a catalytic converter, it may be blocking the fuel from igniting in the tail pipe enough to cause a flame to fire out.

there was a company that had the launch control feature for s13's. damnit, i need to find it. it should work on RB25's

I was wondering if I can get your opinions on this rev limiter product. It's called Bee*R Rev Limiter (Reputable performance shop and parts in Japan) and I'm so curious about this product that I might buy it.

So there are 2 functions that this was designed for. Launch control (similar to MSD 2 Step) and rev limiter. Here's what it does and what I have found out. You can also Youtube Bee-R rev limiter for videos.

You already got a number of answers for this but I don't see this as much more than a gimmick. A soft rev limiter generally retards the timing of a cylinder or cylinders to get the engine to not go over a certain RPM (your limit). When this happens you are retarding the timing and if dumping raw fuel into the exhaust will increase the exhaust temps a lot (as in glowing headers, etc.) and this is not good. The engine will also see torque reversals. If you've ever done this with the hood open you'll quit soon after watching the engine rocking violently from side to side.

So yes, you can damage parts from the heat, the explosion is hard on mufflers, and this can ultimately damage a motor. I wouldn't do this to any car I cared about. A rev limiter is a good thing to have but using it for show is asking for issues down the road.

Cary

Thanks everyone. I don't plan on using this as an toy....This will strictly be used when needed to, most likely when I'm at a track, drift, and auto-crossing. I'm in search of a better rev limiter than the stock ecu. As when the mixture gets lean tempatures rises causing detonation which is not good. Retarding timing for a rev limiter does damage your engine this has been stated multiple times by people who have the Turbo Anti-Lag System (TALS) most rally people use this because it still builds up boost when you are off the throttle or shifting between gears. On top of that they have the funds to build engines over and over again..The only alternative I have found is this unit which CUTS IGNITION, does not retard timing or lean out mixture. I know the best rev limiter is a driver. However, when at the apex at a corner and you want to apply full throttle you sometimes are very close to redlining..At this point what you think is do I floor it or do I shift gears and possibly lose some speed. I don't want to over rev my engine and have it go boom at the exit of a turn or damage the motor because I decided to hold it in gear. I'm trying to protect my investment from those "What If" situations. Now, I've been doing some research as I was going to use MSD..When reading their info, it states that MSD uses the retard method for launch control (2 Step). which is what I wanted to avoid so that's out the door. I found this unit and don't mind paying a little more to protect my investment. Even though I'm probably going to end up buying this, it will only be used rarely. It seems like Ignition cut for a rev limiter is the best way to go.

BTW, the name Bee*R (Bee*Racing)was because that was the founders favorite drink.

There has been some discussion about RB oil pump damage due to holding the engine on a rev-limiter. Either way through ignition cut or ignition retard limiting, you will still have fuel burning in the exhaust. Neither is particularly good for stuff downstream of the exhaust valve. You generally want a soft limiter for the situations that you are describing, as a hard limiter is pretty violent. I have boost-cut hard-limiter as a safety on my car and when it cuts, it's harsh.

I would doubt that the stock RB rev limiter leans the mixture - most of them are a fuel-cut, which doesn't lean it out. It cuts the fuel off, period. It re-introduces injection after the engine rpm has dropped to a lower threshold.

Doug