HybridZ
stevo_gj

L26 Running 240z Carbys with SM Needles?

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a pair of 240z SU carbys to clean and use to replace my flat top 260z carbys. My engine is a stock L26. The SUs are in fairly good condition and I really only intend to replace the gaskets, but a few people have suggested that I look into SM Needles.

I have searched hybridz trying to learn more about SM needles, but so far I have only found that they are not ideal to be running on an L24, but are perfect for an L28. No one has mentioned how they perform on an L26.

The needles on the SUs seem to be in good condition, but I wouldn't remind replacing them with these SM needles if there really is a power boost.

What do you guys think?

Merry Christmas,

Steve

The SM needles are widely regarded as too rich by many on this forum, for even a stock L28. The original N54 needles are fine for the L26, and even good for the L28 too, as long as the carbs are set up right. Start with the N54 needles, and if you need more fuel (use a good wideband to determine this) then look into the british SU needles for something between the N54 and the SM.

On 12/25/2008 at 6:17 PM, Xnke said:

The SM needles are widely regarded as too rich by many on this forum, for even a stock L28. The original N54 needles are fine for the L26, and even good for the L28 too, as long as the carbs are set up right. Start with the N54 needles, and if you need more fuel (use a good wideband to determine this) then look into the british SU needles for something between the N54 and the SM.

+1 SM Needles didnt work well for me on a 260z L26 engine with rebuilt dome top carbs. 

Far too rich at idle, and if you lean down to get that right- the top end beyond 2600 RPM suffers.

I’m happier with the N57 needles and the carbys synched with a meter and fuel/mixture set by the lift piston methods, and then a colour-tune.  Wants to get up and go now, fuel economy is better tham with SMs.   Plus - my eyes dont water from a fat fuel/air mixture.