HybridZ

Drill press recommendations? Either cheap/used!

I don't literally mean cheap! I would like a quality unit with no runout on the chuck. Drilling triangle holes is something I can do with my hand drill!

*gasp* harbor freight has some higher end models that look alright.

I really think I want a floor stander, thoughts? I have had trouble before with long drillbits and a smaller stroke cheapie drill press. Do I really need a floorstander? I dunno.

Some level of precision is very important, I want to be able to drill nice straight and round holes! Most use will be metal, with some wood/plastic.

Thoughts or advice? I searched and read a post from about 3 years ago, but thought things may have changed since then.

My budget is 250 or so.

Thanks - Evan

BTW; I do have 220v in my garage if thats a must!

When I bought mine years ago I replaced the motor with a reversable one so I can drill/tap stuff and then back the tap out. I also put a foot switch on it to free up both hands. The time will come when your part that your working on will get away from you and you wished you could turn the drill press off real fast. With the foot switch I can just tap it for better control and the motor has a lot more torque when on the starter winding

A cross slide vice is very usefull as is a V block.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32997

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=2182&keyword=43369&cm_mmc=undefined

I have an appointment to see an older (Read decent quality) craftsman floorstander with a dead motor. Guy wants $50 for it, said everything is good and no rust. He had two presses and killed this one.

A foot switch would be amazing, thats a great idea. Since I will be changing to a bigger motor anyway.

Evan

check your local craigslist for an older floor unit, people tend to get tired fo these things sitting aroudn adn sell them barley used for a fraction of the cost new, if you are lucky you might find a heavy duty older model, i got a walker turner (fromt he 50's IIRC) from a shut down shop with a new motor on it, it's beig and heavy and quiet and smoothe, and I paid $75

If you wait you can get the HF 12 speed floor model on sale, and use a 20% off coupon and walk out the door for ~$290 like I did.

It's normally $459, goes on sale for $329...

Love mine.

I bought their 12-speed bench model for $100 2 years ago and have absolutely no complaints. In addition to the drill press you will need something like a drill press vice to hold the part while you drill. Additionally, good drill bits go a long way as well to drilling a clean, straight hole.

If you replace your motor with a reversable heavy duty motor and PS, you can drill at almost any speed. I use a sewing machine pedal with mine. that way I can control the speed with my foot, and when I'm not using it, it's off. Reverses with a switch on the counter.

Phar