HybridZ

Cutting Exhaust Tubing

NCchris

I personally would not do it. If you have a harborfreight near you buy one of their cheap reciprocating saws $39 (sawzall knock off) and it can handle all you want to do. My best guess is the wood miter saw is going to be damanged because it is not really made to do that.

Do not buy the harbor freight sawzall knock offs. I bought one and after minor use went and bought a Skill because it stripped the drive gear.

we had one of those cheapo's from harbor with our demo derbey stuff and never had one issue, crazy huh? The new dewault is nice but the regular Milwaukee Super is still the standard IMHO. When we have to cut a line of tubing in the plant we also use saw-blocks. A saw-block wraps around your tube by a clamshell design with both sides of the block fixed shut with vicegrips ans 1/16" slot to just get a sawzall blade in, very handy.

Chris, nevermind. I wish I had read closer. Blades are expensive!

Evan

Still prob a good deal, Milwaukee stuff is high quality.

Chris, I've got access to several different bandsaws if you want to bring your pipes up to High Point I can cut them for you.

Thanks so much for the offer! I'm attempting to equip my own garage and I'm somewhat of a tool junkie too. I like the cold saw.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an old woodworking compound miter saw for cutting tubing, with a 12" fiber wheel. Yes the plastic parts took a bit of a beating but it still worked OK, except that it is a good idea to pull a big sock over the cooling vents in the motor. The metal particles flying around get sucked into those ports both by airflow and by the magnetic forces generated by the motor, and they cause a lot of damage to the brushes and commutators once they get in there.