HybridZ

1984 300zx turbo overheating problem:

Guest boosted84

Guest boosted84

Hello guys and gals.. I am new to the site. I just recently purchased a 1984 300zx turbo. It has the jim wolfe ecu upgrade ,fmic, manual boost controller, and rfl bov..Since I purchased the car it has overheated.. They had a electric fan in the car that was a push fan not a pull fan. I replaced the fan.. But the car still gets overheated. I did notice the reservoir was completely fulll. I am going to flush the system today. And the color of the antifreeze was pretty sick looking..I checked the thermostat by placing it in water till it boils and it does open fine... Are there any other things I should check? I checked the water pump also... It seems ok.. No play in shaft and spins freely... Any ideas or other things I should check would help alot... Thx again for any and all help..:burnout:

Hello guys and gals.. I am new to the site. I just recently purchased a 1984 300zx turbo. It has the jim wolfe ecu upgrade ,fmic, manual boost controller, and rfl bov..Since I purchased the car it has overheated.. They had a electric fan in the car that was a push fan not a pull fan. I replaced the fan.. But the car still gets overheated. I did notice the reservoir was completely fulll. I am going to flush the system today. And the color of the antifreeze was pretty sick looking..I checked the thermostat by placing it in water till it boils and it does open fine... Are there any other things I should check? I checked the water pump also... It seems ok.. No play in shaft and spins freely... Any ideas or other things I should check would help alot... Thx again for any and all help..:burnout:

Since you're there, just replace the thermostat. Unless you check the temp of the time it opened, it's tough to say whether it will work to help cool or be too far passed the danger zone when it opens.

Check your rad cap and make sure it's not leaking pressure, change your rad fluid. and you can also bleed the system of any air while the car is cold by taking the rad cap off and running it until no bubbles overflow out of the water inlet/cap-hole. You might have to rev it up a bit to get some bubbles to rise.

Are you sure it's overheating, or is that what the guage is saying? you could change both coolant temp sensor/sender and get a new coolant temp sub-harness.

• 4 weeks later...

Perform routine maintenence first: Flush system, change thermostat, check rad cap, bleed air (all stated above). You'd be suprised what difference fresh coolant makes. What is the condition of the rad? If the coolant is boogery and it is the original rad it may be partially clogged. Next thing to check on is if the elec fan is rotating in the correct direction, seen them reverse wired several times. Next check your adjustable thermostat for the fan. Don't have one? Get one, it's adjustability will help the car to run more efficiently. Pusher type fans typically do not cool as well as puller types because they are an obstruction before the radiator cooling fins. Next thing to look into are blown headgaskets. Conisdering the upgrades done to the car it would be safe to assume that it wasn't gently treated, just a thought. Good luck!

Edit: Another problem seen often is overheating due to a poorly located/angled intercooler. Try to relocate it or mount it directly onto the front of the rad (go w/ a puller fan). And some quick sheetmetal shrouding works wonders as well.