HybridZ

Swapping My LS1 into another Z!

Ok been doing some more thinking and tell me if you guys see anything wrong with this picture (pump you can't see in the pic but it is behind the strut tube):

337617348_6qKpB-L.jpg

So my feed line goes up to the filter and across to the fuel pump. Besides relocating the pump lower.....doesn't the pump have to sit completely horizontal for it to work correctly?! Please say yes so I can slap myself now...lol. The pump being a pusher and not a puller....it being mounted up higher and somewhat on an angle is a no no. Also as you can see the filter is almost vertical. GRAVITY...DUH! Tell me what you guys think. Thanks

doesn't the pump have to sit completely horizontal for it to work correctly?! Please say yes so I can slap myself now...lol. The pump being a pusher and not a puller....it being mounted up higher and somewhat on an angle is a no no.

Clive, Clive...

I PM'd you the pic last week turn it side ways. lol

DSCF0468.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Small update:

The "red" car is almost stripped.....just need to remove the bumpers, lights and hatch and it will be a rolling shell. Int is out, engine bay is cleaned and ready to go. Plan is to give the car to paint shop and they will paint the engine bay and prep the car. I will get it back to put the motor in (while I am at it, I will do the UD pulley, 92 fast intake) and get the car running. Send it back and then we should have a running LS1 car again!

• 2 weeks later...
don't forget I used one of my EFILive license to program your PCM. This means if you need to reprogram it I can do it.

Thanks I remember we did that. All the car will need this time is to be wired up in the new car and it should fire right up. There are a few things I would like do this time and have everything working in this car.

The car will be going to the body shop to have the engine bay sprayed and prep some of the body...I hope to have it back in a few weeks. I am going with the super wide CF ZGs from Justin and a set off CCW wheels. :icon54:

Pics are coming soon! I feel like I am doing this swap all over again......I am.

The car will be going to the body shop to have the engine bay sprayed and prep some of the body...I hope to have it back in a few weeks. I am going with the super wide CF ZGs from Justin and a set off CCW wheels. :icon54:

You're taking the flares off the red car? I would think with it's history, it would lessen the value, or the "coolness" of it, if you did. Or are they just regular 80s dealership flares? I don't really know.

However, I do think the ZGs will look better. Much better.

• 3 weeks later...

The 71 car is now at the body shop to get the engine bay done and test mount the CF ZGs that were dropped off by Justin himself. Also the order was placed for the CCWs 17x9.5 fronts, 17x11 rears. Hope to start getting the old v8 car apart in 4 weeks or so. Only thing that may slow/delay that is a track day coming up this month :icon14: Next thing for the v8 car is to order new engine mounts, ud pulley and intake. Time to sell more parts! Here is the car on its way to the body shop:

484073103_2nBdr-XL.jpg

Justin (280zforce) in the back ground:

484072904_YZLPW-XL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So HUGE HUGE HUGE weekend! Have to thank Joe (Rags) for coming by Friday and working with me from 6pm-1am and then stopping by again for moral support Saturday for a few hours. Dave (Cygnusx1) also came by Saturday and gave me a hand for a few hours to pull rear ends out of both cars. Basically I have to have the cars off my dad's lift by Sunday night for opening of bizz Monday morning.

Here are a few pics of my long weekend!

Looks like the 70s....:)

496859017_JQ462-L.jpg

Swapping rear ends:

496865158_ZTMjw-L.jpg

New home for v8:

496856713_gauP2-L.jpg

LS1:

496857623_resXF-L.jpg

Myself n Joe:

496858180_7rYhT-L.jpg

Plans are to take a break for a day or two. Order a few more parts and maybe get the motor in by mid next week. I am going to pull the intake and TB off and sell them if anyone is looking for a ls6 intake and port n polished TB. New set of plugs needs to go in and do the UD pulley and new belt. I will update some more when I upload the other pics. Got more done than I thought I would be able to do for a weekend!

Here are some more pics:

Sunday Night:

497017449_7TXfP-L.jpg

Almost done breaking her down:

497017239_Bv7H2-L.jpg

Word to the wise....when pulling the LSx out of our Zs like it is a F-body....headers and coil packs should be removed. I didn't do this at first and it slowed me up big time. Looks cool though right? =):

497017553_4hbuD-L.jpg

I would kill to have access to a shop like that to work in!

Beats the hell out of a crowded two car garage and the driveway, plus the parts car sitting in the back yard. :)

You're really making a ton of progress. So much for starting to take things apart in two weeks, huh?

Clive, didn't you need to remove the steering shaft before dropping the motor from underneath too? Maybe that's just too obvious to mention.

No you are right. I forgot to add that part. Basically guys, just take the motor and trans out the way you put it in...from the top :icon56: That will save you the time and fustration that I went through...but it was ok becuse I had company. :burnout:

No you are right. I forgot to add that part. Basically guys, just take the motor and trans out the way you put it in...from the top :icon56: That will save you the time and fustration that I went through...but it was ok becuse I had company. :burnout:

:)Good to know. Looks like you made great progress though. Keep it up.

Mike

Clive,

You are lucky that you have some helping hands. I had do it all by myself. Just took out my LS1 and stripped the whole car down this past weekend. I am waiting for some help to move the shell into my booth and put in on the rotisserie. I didn't realize how much wires are in the car until I took everything out. Probably a good 30 lbs including the ECU and the fuse box.

Clive,

You are lucky that you have some helping hands. I had do it all by myself. Just took out my LS1 and stripped the whole car down this past weekend. I am waiting for some help to move the shell into my booth and put in on the rotisserie. I didn't realize how much wires are in the car until I took everything out. Probably a good 30 lbs including the ECU and the fuse box.

Just let me know when you need some helping hands...I can take a trip down to philly...we can get some work done!

This might be my new favorite 'Z' picture. Zs and LS1s - :shock:

Looks like you are making great progress. [And the red cars flares - nice.]

Thanks for the comments...I love the pic and besides the LS1 it looks like the 70's in the shop. It is my background pic now.

Well bought an intake which is a lightly used ported FAST 90 intake with a Nick Williams 90 TB...very nice! :mparty:

I plan to paint the intake black.

Intake:

499020301_UjMbz-L.jpg

499020185_mm5rr-L.jpg

Port:

499020410_xvNQr-L.jpg

So I have to get some new intake gaskets and get a new belt for the ne UD pulley...pics of it all when it comes in the mail.