HybridZ

Led Taillights

Hi,

I have a 1978 280z. I purchased a set of LED Tailights from Dave Z. I cannot get them to work and I am looking for some suggestions on getting them working. The current set-up of tailights,stop,directional and hazards work. I have cleaned the hazard switch and changed the flasher to an electronic flasher but, still no luck working. Any suggestions?

Thanks

D

Yes I have e-mailed Dave and he has provided support but nothing has worked. As far as the polarity they are plug and play so there is only one way to hook-up.

Thanks

Sounds like news to me. Nothing leaves my site without passing a rigorous test. First, is the car running when you test the lights? I ask because your 12 volts at the battery results in about 10 volts or less at the taillights (age and resistance reduce the voltage) Running the car with the alternator backing up the battery wil increase the voltage and the lights will light up like a Christmas Tree.

Second, I'm guessing that the lights work fine but the turn signals are not flashing. Is THAT the problem? If so, switch the flasher, under the dash, to a Tridon EP35 or equivolant ELECTRONIC Flasher. LED's don't have the resistance that regular bulbs have. Stock OEM flashers are Thermal units and won't see enough resistance to work, because of the lack of resistance from the LED's. And once again, if the vehicle is not running, they will be very dim.

I built them this way to eliminate ANY chance of them being overpowered and blowing up. They'll take up to just over 15 volts. BUT need no less than 12 volts to work properly.

Use some test leads on the LED taillights.

Ground the terminal with the black wire on it, using your battery up front or a spare.

Use another lead from the test battery, touch it to ANY of the other terminals and see what happens.

Let me know what you find. But I'm guessing that the LED taillights will work just fine and the problem is in a connector or somewhere else. I Guarantee my work. Ask anyone.

Dave.

EDIT*** I just read your email to me (First one) and you only mention the Flashers not working. So is it just the turn signals not working or everything, as stated in your first post?

Dave,

By none means was I implying that the leds were no good or that you have not helped with the problem. Apoligize if that is how it came across.I am just frustrated that I cannot get them to work. I have swapped out the flasher to an electronic one and grounded it(Still not working) The orginal lights do work(stoplight,flashers,hazards).I have not tried the leds with the engine running but I will. It will be a little while because I injured myself and will not be able to work on the car for a while. Thanks for the info.

D

Sorry if that sounded rude. I was not in a good mood as UPS has screwed me six ways from sunday and did'nt even bother to use lube.:mad::cry2:

They failed to pick up orders from my supplier, failed to deliver items that were ordered 2 F@#$ing weeks ago and was promised a 3 day delivery.....

Needless to say, I have orders that are 90% done, laying around, waiting for parts to show up, just so I can slip on connectors and ship them. AND FEDEX is high on my shitlist as well. My rear struts from MSA sat in the FedEx depot for 12 flippen days, 50 miles from my house, before they were finally delivered. "Your World On Time" my ass. I can't run a business this way, it's not fare to me or my customers to have to explain why the top 2 Parcel Delivery company's are screwing up the orders.

Let me know what you find out about the lights after you run the car while testing,

Dave.

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread but the Tridon EP35 electronic flasher will cure the turn signal not working problem?  My LED lights flash fine on the hazard switch but not on the turn signals.  I'm assuming it's the 38 year old flasher and the lower amperage LED lights not playing well together?

I've also seen a reference to the fact that the 280Z has a 2-prong flasher and that there's a difference between the early 280Z's and the later 280Z's.  I have a 7/77 production date 280Z.

Edited by Phantom

I replied to your other thread. For LEDs you will need an electronic flasher because LEDs do not pull enough current to make conventional flasher work. It may come with two prongs and a black ground wire.  Plug it in and attach the ground with to the car.

Edited by Miles

OK - the answer here is a 2-prong electronic flasher WITH a grounding wire.  I got an EF-32RL off Amazon and it works great.  Evidently the key is the grounding wire.  Without it the electronic flasher won't work on our cars.