HybridZ

SPAL Power Window Kit

240hoke

I'm not sure if it on the web site. When I talked to the rep he said I would need this module for use from the remote. Other wise you would have to hold the button on the remote the whole time the window was operating. This allows just one press of the remote to fully open or close the window.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful....these kits need a minimum amount of room under the window for installation. Something like 5 inches. The window on a S30 pretty much goes to the bottom of the door frame'...in fact there is a rubber stop the windows bottoms to. I would expect that would rule these out. One make has the motor off-set to the side though....but it still may be tight.

There is also have a flat and curved glass version. The Datsun has a slight curve to the glass so its best to understand thier definition of "flat".

This thread has me itching to install PW and PDL...all on one remote...doors unlock and windows go down. AutoLoc has that option!

What about one of these kits?

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/powerwindowsconfigure.lasso?step=flatglass Are they any good? I'm thinking about going to power windows but not the type that uses the existing system thats in the door because one of the reasons I want one is the fact that I spent days trying to fix the passenger side window to roll up and down but it keeps on binding (think one of the arms must be bent) so I want a system that would just eliminate all that. I also want to have it where the window crank is the switch like you see on a whole bunch of hotrods, it would be power but wouldn't look power so to speak

The way Audi's do it is the following.

Press button on remote, door unlock.

Hold button on remote, doors unlock, windows and sunroof open.

If I was going to do windows it would be something like this. You would just need a time delay relay on the windows.

GM Commodores had a similar feature, but it was one click for drivers door unlock and hold for all doors unlock.

Yup...exactly the type of system I had in mind. Nissan has a similar setup on some of their cars.

I almost always have the windows down...just cant imagine the windows rolled up....unless of course it is raining like crazy. And for what it worth....I have taken it out in the rain. .... Even tracked it on a soaked fun filled day. :mrgreen:

I thought it was kinda funny too... lol

My wife's accord is the same as the Audi's, once for unlok, twice unlock all doors, hold and window's roll down. VERY nice feature for the summer months.

The way Audi's do it is the following.

Press button on remote, door unlock.

Hold button on remote, doors unlock, windows and sunroof open.

If I was going to do windows it would be something like this. You would just need a time delay relay on the windows.

GM Commodores had a similar feature, but it was one click for drivers door unlock and hold for all doors unlock.

What year Audis?

All this is cool but I think it might be going a little too far. :mrgreen:

Are yall referring to a particular kit that allows you to do this or thinking about retrofitting or making your own setup? Either way I think it will get pretty complicated, and may require a different motor and a few sensors. I know in my 350z you have to reset the motor travel each time you mess with it or the window. But it also has frameless doors and the windows moves a bit when you open and close the door i also rolls the windows down if you hold hte unlock button for a period as most new cars do. All this is controlled by the BCM.

The SPAL motor has no circuitry to stop the motor when you get to the top or bottom it tries to keep on going you have to just let off the button. I imagine a switch could be made that senses the change in amperage when the motor is stalled and cutts of a relay....or maybe this is already available?

Either way IMHO I think at that point especially with keyless entry you've got a system that will potentially cause a big headache down the road unless installed very well.

Now what I'd like to do with mine (going back to the remote entry stuff), is install a security system like my Harley has. It comes with a key fob that must be within about 4 feet of the bike for it to start, or the fuel is completely cut off. I believe its a Delphi system. I think BMW has something similar to this in their cars now if I read correctly (albeit more refined). The closer my car gets to completion, at least from a driving standpoint, the more my paranoia grows...:?

Not to get off the topic of power windows though, heh heh... Just thinking of something that could go along with the remote.

• 4 months later...

theres also this method, i have no idea who makes/made them, but they use modern power window motors hooked up to a set of gears, which connect to the original regulators, they are surprisingly quick and havent had a single problem yet.

forrest043.jpg

I went with the generic Chinese version off ebay from the vendor "alpha-bid". It turned out it was cheaper to buy the four window kit and split it with a friend than to buy two two window kits! The 4 window kit is $160, and the two window kit is $96. The only downside is that you get a 4 window switch pod and 3 single switch pods instead of a 2 switch pod and 1 single switch pod. However, I mounted my switches directly in the center console of my 240, so I didn't need the pods, and you also end up with extra switches for spares! Oh yeah, you do have to be comfortable with electrical work, because the wiring harness does have to be modified. But there's yards and yards of wire to work with.

My friend and I have both had our kits installed for about a year, and they've worked great so far. The motors are supposedly made in Japan, so they should be reliable. Also, there apparently is a built in clutch system so the motors don't stall when the windows reach the top and bottom. The caps that cover the hole in the door panel are pretty much flush, and blend in very nicely. I'm 6'7" tall, and I like the fact that my knee doesn't bash into the window crank any more.

I just have a few pics so far. I'll see if I can find some time to take more today...

Here's one of the 2 window kit:

tn_full_alphabidJPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Overall install in the door:

tn_full_DSC04374JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Closeup of window crank:

tn_full_DSC04371JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Closeup of motor mount:

tn_full_DSC04376JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Door panel cap:

tn_full_DSC04711JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Wire harness to door using rubber grommets and corrugated plastic wire loom (the wires don't get pinched in this location):

tn_full_DSC04704JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Switch location (I need to repaint the switch plate flat black):

tn_full_DSC04706JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

• 2 months later...