HybridZ

R160 helical questions

logr

Does anyone know about the newer r160's with a helical. I ordered one that is out of a GC8 WRX. The guy says it will work in a 510 so I can't see why it wouldn't work in a z. I have a friend with an older clutch type r160 behind an L28T that has held up well. According to the seller it is just a matter of machining a groove in my axles and slipping them in. I doubt it is really that easy and it isn't here yet but wondered if others have any experience with the newer ones. Thanks, Mike

According to the seller it is just a matter of machining a groove in my axles and slipping them in.

Maybe not. Your side axles are designed to work with a threaded button inside the diff and are most likely about 1/2" too short. You need to measure the shaft depth on the Subie side axles and compare them to the shaft depth of the Datsun side axles.

Are you sure the WRX unit is an R160?

The newest US Spec STi versions have a helical R180, and the JDM had them a couple of years prior to us getting them here.

Come to think of it, the WRX's may have had R180's and the new STi has a Helical R200. I forget.

I don't even know what a GC8 is. The guy seems to know what he's talking about but he didn't know what year it was from. I bought an R200 helical from him before. He is duax machine. He says that he has put them in 510's before so I hope he is right. I am putting in an SR also. He wondered if it was strong enough for an L28. Guess I will see. I haven't found anything on here about the newer R160's. I wanted a helical and haven't been able to find a clsd anyway. This R160 is a 4.11 so that was fortunate also. With the 275's that I am planning on running, I can get around 68mph in 2nd which I think will be about right--------I hope.

I recieved it today and it is a 4.11 R160. It appears to work. R180 axles slip right in. The seller kept the suby axles for some unknown reason. I will need another snapring and machine 2 grooves in the axles but see no reason why this won't work. I did have to change the input but an older R160 one worked fine. Both Z axles slip in and bottom out inside before hitting the case and stick out approximately the same. There might even be room for the bolt buttons, it looks like it. I don't really want to take apart the helical to find out. There is a question though on the helical itself. It is very difficult to turn the axles different directions and it feels rough. My other helical is smooth as butter and turns easily, so I am a bit concerned. Mike

Are you sure the WRX unit is an R160?

The newest US Spec STi versions have a helical R180, and the JDM had them a couple of years prior to us getting them here.

Come to think of it, the WRX's may have had R180's and the new STi has a Helical R200. I forget.

The US Spec STI's R180s had Torsens for 2007 and 2008 (not sure about 2009).

I believe the Legacy GT SpecB R200 also have Torsens for 2007 and 2008 (not sure about 2009).

My mistake, this R160 is an AP Suretrac. It works like a helical, I guess. We shall see. Anybody have any knowledge on these? It is a bolt in though (with 2 grooves cut in the axles) and it is an unabtrusive lsd, I am told.