HybridZ

Evos 9sec 2jz build - 9's, 8's, and 7's done going for 6 sec pass now!

Went back to the shop today and I spent few hours working on my downpipe. One day when I really need someone to give me hand with fitting and marking piping I get "stuck" alone well at least it was nice to have whole shop to myself. Since whole shop was full of cars I was not able to use any of the lifts so I had to use good ol jackstands method. This is how the day started.

Picture_075.jpg

I just cant get enough of this view!

Picture_077.jpg

Then I stared working on the downpipe

Picture_0674.jpg

Picture_0691.jpg

Even though it looks like there is alot of space putting 4" pipe is not really that much fun

Picture_0731.jpg

Picture_0862.jpg

Picture_090.jpg

I am not happy with end result so I am getting rid of the last 90deg bend. Then I am going to take about two inches of that 45deg bend and that is where v-band flange will be installed to seperate downpipe from the exhaust. There is just not enough space to tuck in 4" exhaust with v-band clamp under the car.

Picture_0942.jpg

Picture_0951.jpg

Thats about it for this weekend I should be able to do some more work on it fallowing week during my lunch hour.

Yesterday was just another long day. I got home from shop around 11:30pm just freaking exhausted honestly I really cant wait to have my own garage so I can do this on my own time instead of doing it when I can barely stay awake. Ok enough of whining here are some pictures from last night.

Some I/C piping action (we used aluminum 3" scrap piping because it pretty much cost me nothing).

Picture_1044.jpg

Picture_1065.jpg

Picture_1072.jpg

Picture_1092.jpg

Passenger side starting point

Picture_1121.jpg

Picture_1181.jpg

Picture_1243.jpg

Picture_1202.jpg

Picture_129.jpg

Picture_1312.jpg

Picture_127.jpg

Saturday Drew is going to weld it all together and when that is done safety wire will be added to prevent pipes from coming loose. Since cold side piping is so short it would look very awkward to put Tial BOV on there so instead of that it will get mounted right on the I/C endtank under outlet pipe. More updates coming this weekend.

I am really not feeling like typing much tonight so here are some pictures of what was done today.

Intercooler piping welded

Picture_1351.jpg

Picture_1421.jpg

Turbo outlet all done and cooling down

Picture_1481.jpg

Tial Bov flange

Picture_150.jpg

Picture_1511.jpg

Welded together then drilled out and ported (no pictures of inside at the moment)

Picture_156.jpg

Picture_1571.jpg

Piping back in the car

Picture_1661.jpg

Notice lower intercooler brackets well they got redone too I was just not really happy with them so they got replaced with 1" square tubing

Picture_1691.jpg

Limited edition Tial green Bov : )

Picture_1701.jpg

Picture_1711.jpg

New intercooler brackets on the bottom

Picture_177.jpg

Picture_1761.jpg

Picture_1801.jpg

Picture_181.jpg

From the front

Picture_1861.jpg

And one last shot for the night

Picture_1891.jpg

Now that intercooler is finalized I started working on my radiator setup. We had two spare radiator cores from our time attack EvoX so I tried test fitting it and what do you know its perfect fit : ). Now all I need is to bribe Cory (one of our train operators) to draw me some nice endtanks and we are all set.

Guys meet Cory only thing you need to know about him is that he is just one badass dude

DSC000025.JPG

It took him whole 10min to get done lol

DSC000045.JPG

DSC000052.JPG

DSC000082.JPG

Core is two row which is more than enough for my setup

DSC000091.JPG

DSC000103.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

Cory put order through today so endtank parts should be here in week or so.

Well cant forget to pay the man

Picture_0534.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I really enjoyed my visit to Alabama for the holidays and taking break from Z was even better : ). Last night I was really tired so I really didn't feel like sticking around for long and in turn not much was done lol. Here are few pictures of what was accomplished.

Nice and comfortable in corner of the fab shop

Picture_1901.jpg

Drew building upper intercooler bracket

Picture_2012.jpg

Picture_213.jpg

Picture_2151.jpg

I had to shorten downpipe by good amount so that massive v-band clamp would clear everything and this is final version.

Picture_2051.jpg

Picture_2032.jpg

Picture_209.jpg

Picture_210.jpg

More updates coming this weekend.

Today was one of those days... just way to tired to get out of the bed let alone go to the shop and work on the Z but when you dont have your own garage and your personal project car is taking shop space well you dont have much choice no lazy weekends for me. Drew was nice enough to come in and give me hand with some welding so between two of us (neither one wanted to be here today lol) we got few small things done. Here is what we were working on.

Drew welding on intercooler mounts

Picture_222.jpg

Picture_227.jpg

Picture_2282.jpg

Picture_2303.jpg

Picture_238.jpg

Picture_240.jpg

Here you can see vibrant vaccum reservoir mounted on the bottom of the intake manifold

Picture_224.jpg

Time has finally come to get downpipe welded and she came out awesome!

Picture_233.jpg

Picture_2343.jpg

Picture_2353.jpg

Picture_2441.jpg

Picture_2421.jpg

Picture_248.jpg

Downpipe mounted on the car with wastegate pipe mocked up

Picture_2502.jpg

Picture_2511.jpg

Then we started working on throttle body cable I had old lokar (I think) cable from my old L28 setup so we ended reusing it for new setup but few things had to be changed around.

Pedal had to be bent 45deg to the right so that cable would not bind up against intake manifold (bad angle coming through firewall).

Picture_254.jpg

Once everything is done all the holes on the firewall will get filled in and minimized including this one

Picture_2551.jpg

Take one hammer

Picture_261.jpg

+ Torch

Picture_262.jpg

= no cutting and welding : )

Picture_2631.jpg

Tabs for the linkage brackets

Picture_266.jpg

Picture_2651.jpg

Picture_268.jpg

Picture_267.jpg

Thats where was left off for today more updates coming later next week.

Wow long day at the shop yesterday. Between Drew, Chris, and me alot of custom fabrication got done and written of the list. Since it was the last day that I could keep my car at the shop (full of customers cars) I got there right about 9am by 6pm that night Z was done for the year and on its way to storage facility. Here are pictures of what we got done.

Radiator end tank parts with -16an weld on fittings

Picture_277.jpg

Drew putting radiator together

Picture_292.jpg

Picture_295.jpg

Throttle body cable brackets

Picture_296.jpg

Pedal needs little more work to line up perfect

Picture_297.jpg

Picture_299.jpg

Picture_301.jpg

Then the motor came out (again lol)

Picture_304.jpg

New transmission support

Picture_305.jpg

While Drew and me were bussy with our stuff Chris was rocking out with this awesome removable parachute setup.

That bend in the bark looks like its off just little bit but it really isnt its perfectly centered our trunks curves are not symetrical as they might look.

Picture_269.jpg

Picture_2731.jpg

Picture_271.jpg

Chris machining down bar that slides through the body for better fitment

Picture_285.jpg

Picture_283.jpg

Picture_281.jpg

More support from the side

Picture_325.jpg

Picture_327.jpg

Picture_329.jpg

Picture_330.jpg

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT (yep we found their hiding place its in my damn trunk lol)

Picture_336.jpg

Picture_338.jpg

Here is the best part everything can come out by talking out 4 allen head bolts!

Picture_340.jpg

Picture_341.jpg

Picture_343.jpg

Picture_344.jpg

Done with the chassy for the year and she is off to the storage

Picture_345.jpg

Now I can focus on some small parts for the engine and little random fabrication projects on the engine itself. I hope that you guys are enjoying fallowing my project as much as I am enjoying working on it.

Since holidays are around the corner I decided that I am done with Z for rest of the year. I could really use some time off and combined with few days off the work should do the job! Here is the last update for this year.

New bolt for the oil filter housing that will be used for turbo oil feed (rethreaded for 1/8 npt)

Old one

Picture_348.jpg

New one

Picture_355.jpg

Picture_358.jpg

So few weeks ago I asked Cory for draw me very simple plate for coil on plug setup. One thing with engineers is that there is no such thing as SIMPLE lol. His idea is to actually draw complete billet plate that replaces both factory covers with coils integrated into it. Cory is using our new portable CMM arm (coordinate measurement machine). Romer portable CMM allows him to digitally plot any given area he is working with. By taking the arm and touching key points on the valve cover he can digitally recreate the entire valve cover in CAD software. The end result is a product that fits like stock but with much better appearance.

Corys starting with blank sheet

Picture_3621.jpg

Starting with four dots

Picture_3631.jpg

Picture_370.jpg

Picture_372.jpg

Picture_376.jpg

Picture_378.jpg

Picture_379.jpg

Picture_382.jpg

Picture_386.jpg

Picture_387.jpg

• 1 month later...

Uhh update time I guess...lol I have spent most of my free time playing xbox live for like past month nothing better than relaxing in bed playing call of duty on 50inch flat screen : ). I did get to do few things but call me lazy I just dont feel like updating 100 pics so I will start off with few of external wastegate getting fitted on exhaust manifold. More coming up in fallowing weeks.

Wastegate getting fitted from beginning to the end

Picture_4091.jpg

Picture_410.jpg

Picture_412.jpg

Picture_414.jpg

Picture_416.jpg

Trimmed for perfect fit

Picture_418.jpg

Picture_419.jpg

Picture_421.jpg

Pretty much done

Picture_422.jpg

Picture_4231.jpg

Picture_4251.jpg

Picture_428.jpg

Picture_431.jpg

Picture_434.jpg

All thats left now is to port runners some and to get head flange decked since she got warpped from runners being welded in one single night.

Next on the list are oil feed/return lines and here are some pictures of how that is going so far (quality of few pictures is not that good).

Diry, used, and abused... lol

Picture_397.jpg

Picture_400.jpg

I am going to upgrade rod bolts with some arp's before she gets put back together

Picture_401.jpg

Factory casting for oil return which I belive is same as twin turbo motor but its just not drilled and tapped

Picture_3981.jpg

That can be fixed : )

Picture_404.jpg

-8 weld on fitting

Picture_407.jpg

-8 oil return line with goodridge heat sleeve

Picture_486.jpg

Before shrink tube

Picture_488.jpg

Afther

Picture_487.jpg

I am going to get bracket welded on turbo compressor outlet to keep line little more away from #1 runner just to be safe

Picture_5021.jpg

Picture_495.jpg

Picture_496.jpg

-4 fittings for oil feed (journal bearing gt42)

Picture_509.jpg

Picture_510.jpg

Picture_514.jpg

Picture_515.jpg

Picture_518.jpg

Picture_522.jpg

One crazy Polish mechanic coming right up!!! My buddy Danny snuck in for this one lol.

Picture_523.jpg

Since 2jz seems to have alot of things that I wont be using I had Cory draw me few block off plates and we wanted to test them for fittment before order was sent out. Here are two of the "plates" getting fitted to verify clearance.

Egr system

Picture_476.jpg

Picture_473.jpg

Picture_484.jpg

Picture_483.jpg

There are few more but pictures came out really bad so I wont post those until real pieces came in. Next pictures are of the stock coolant inlet and outlet on the engine.

Picture_528.jpg

Picture_529.jpg

Picture_530.jpg

Here you can see both of them and orientation of the lower one (which I ended flipping around thats coming up).

Picture_534.jpg

-16 fittings welded on

Picture_561.jpg

Insert your jokes here Picture_563.jpg

Picture_565.jpg

That nipple is not needed for anything so off it goes

Picture_593.jpg

Back on the engine

Picture_598.jpg

Picture_603.jpg

I flipped lower elbow 180deg so now it gives me better clearance and making lower radiator hose will be very simple.

Picture_575.jpg

While ago I talked about adding another tab between throttle body brackets so that cable would not be hanging down its little things like that that really bother me so that will not be a problem.

Picture_551.jpg

Picture_552.jpg

Today was one of those days...nah just kidding it was really awesome day! Made some great progress since there were three of us working on the Z at the same time! On with the pictures.

I never got chance to show off what our awesome bead roller can do so here is how my piping looks like bead rolled

Picture_623.jpg

Picture_621.jpg

Intercooler and piping back in the car

Picture_640.jpg

Guess what goes there lol (nozzle is about 6-7" from throttle blade i belive)

Picture_625.jpg

Picture_626.jpg

Since fuel rails for 2jzge engines are over $250 I decided that I will spend $20-30 and see how far I can take my stock one (or whats left of the stock rail lol)

Picture_628.jpg

Picture_631.jpg

-10 feed and -8 return weld on fittings

Picture_634.jpg

Picture_636.jpg

Fpr removed I wil get Cory to draw me block off plate with o-ring for it

Picture_639.jpg

This is original fuel feed entry which I ended drilling out past -8 hole just trying to optimize what I got. I will use that port for fuel return.

Picture_644.jpg

Picture_647.jpg

I ended cutting out end of the fuel rail and drilling it out to accept -10 fitting

Picture_652.jpg

Picture_657.jpg

Picture_659.jpg

This fuel rail is so large on the outside that I had to problem drilling it through past opening of -10 hole so now I just need to get foot long drill bit and then I can drill through whole length of the fuel rail really making her support some serious fuel flow!

-10 of the left -8 on the right

Picture_668.jpg

Picture_670.jpg

Picture_671.jpg

Picture_672.jpg

For return line I am going with 180deg fitting to put me in right directionand to clear intake plenum including t/b cable (going with black fittings this one is just for test fitment)

Picture_702.jpg

Picture_713.jpg

For feed line I am also going to use 180deg fitting with fuel line going right above fuel rail where fpr used to be.

Drew welding

Picture_677.jpg

Nos bung

Picture_688.jpg

Iat bung

Picture_685.jpg

Picture_690.jpg

Picture_689.jpg

Thats it for today more coming up over fallowing week.

Here are some more progress pictures as promised.

Compressor housing off for welding of the turbo oil return line "support" bracket (to keep line away from #1 runner)

Picture_692.jpg

Now I can just install clamp around line and that will keep it nice and safe from excessive heat

Picture_697.jpg

Picture_700.jpg

Dump tube

Picture_695.jpg

Almost there

Picture_707.jpg

Picture_710.jpg

Support bracket for dump tube to prevent vibration and cracking since its made out of thin wall stainless steel

Picture_715.jpg

Thats all mocked up now next step is welding that bad boy together.

Since I am using thick wall ss with 1/2 header flange I am not worried about supporting turbo from the bottom but however side to side support from vibration and engine movement is whole another story. Here is nice and quick fix for that.

Two unused studs coming out of the head just happen to be in perfect location for support bracket

Picture_747.jpg

Picture_746.jpg

Just tacked together

Picture_802.jpg

Picture_804.jpg

Picture_805.jpg

Picture_806.jpg

Picture_807.jpg

Picture_808.jpg

Once it gets welded it should turn out pretty nice with some amazing color change.