HybridZ

jtr setup complications

I have a 76 280 v8 project. I have just mounted the lt1 motor (which has been converted to carb) using the jtr brackets. The distributor fit so tight on the firewall that i had to take it out just to mount the motor. From reading all the post about jtr i kinda expected that. But my question is about the headers. I got the jtr (sanderson) headers for the conversion but the drivers side wont fit. The collector touches the steering shaft and from what ive read there should be at least a 1/16 clearance there, and the furthest forward primary tube hits on the motor mounts!? Ive checked and checked and im sure i got everything mounted right. Has this happened to anyone before? The only thing i didn t do was slot the datsun mounts on the crossmember but i figured the motor was far enough back already and the hei distributor was already on the firewall without slotting the holes. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

I have the same problem and slotting the mounts would allow the engine to move back just enough to get the 1/16th inch. The steering shaft runns at an angle inward so moving behind it allows the clearance. The farther you go back the more clearance you have. Unfortunatly with my 240z if I move the engine back I hit the firewall on the passenger side with the bell housing. Not good. Vibrations and such so my holes are not slotted. But I do have the 1/16th inch so you must have something wrong. Make sure you have the large spacer on the drivers side and the narrow spacer on the passenger side and they are located between the engine block and the Chev motor mounts and not between the motor mounts and the Datsun crossmember. Makes a bid difference

I can't help with the distributor part of your problem since I kept the Opti. But I had the same issue with the headers and the steering shaft. First, did your cut the corner off your motor mounts like that manual says? I also noticed the two headers are identical and will fit on either side. One of them fit better on the drivers side. If you look closely you'll see Sanderson's quality control isn't all that good for position of the pipes in the flanges, mine were off by 1/8". I still ended up having to grind off the Sanderson emblem on the driver's side to get clearance, but it is tight. I did slot the Datsun mounts but by the time I got the engine positioned I was in the middle of the slot.