HybridZ

351W with t5 swap. please read. *CARB*

7MGFORCE

question about the 1970 351w with mustang 1992 5.0 t5 tranny.

all mounts are custom made.

1. from my understanding the 351w are front sump. BUT how much does it interfere with the crossmember? would it be possible to just move back the engine? any pics?

-i was thinking of cuting the firewall a bit to fit it so i wont have to swap pans and pick up and such plus it would put the engine closer to center of gravity. but if its too much then i wont cut it.

2. what about flywheel? i have read that it has to be 157tooth with 28 oz and 10.5"

would any new flywheel that meets those spec work? or would i have to strickly have to source out stock flywheel?

3. what clutch would you guys recoment for a combo that can handle no more than 400wtq?

i dont plan to exceed that till way later.

4. what carb would you guys recomend for around 400whp/wtq application? 600cfm or 650 cfm or 750cfm? i plan on using edelbrock b/c its well cheap and decent lol.

it will be match up with victor jr. intake.

and do carb engine needs a surge tank? i plan on installing this on my 75 280z. how will it route the fuel line? i have 3 fuel lines in my car. so 1 feed the other return but then how do i hook up the last one?

thanks

There are rear sump 351s, such as in the old LTD wagons. I would go with a 750cfm on a stout Windsor. Also, no, surge tank not needed.

ya but the that i found is front sump. plus i really want to put the engine back and cut the firewall if its no more than let say 2 inch?

and i though so. i knew the carb had this fuel tank thing in them but wasnt sure if you still need one on top of that. so with that said i can use my stock tank with fresh filter and new low pressure pump right?

Your going to be way better off converting to rear sump, its not that hard or expensive. It doesnt really sound like you know a whole lot about what you want to do. Thats all I'm gonna say.

ya i know its only like 99 the last time i check.

BTW for those who have this swap what headers are you guys using? i think so far shorty 302 headers seems to be the best option. but is there any others that wont require moding?

I just ordered a new clutch and flywheel for my old 351w. I got one off ebay. It is the F1 Racing stage 2 kit. The package came with a light weight chromo fidanza flywheel (both 28 and 50oz bolt on weight) and a carbon/kevlar gripforce clutch and pressure plate. The whole thing was under $350 shipped. very happy with it.

I also had to get a rear sump oil pan. Summit has a conversion kit with the 5 qt pan, pickup, new dipstick and gaskets for $135