HybridZ

VIPEC is here...

Careless

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I am getting a quote - seriously looking to swap out my Microtech Lt12S, X6 and wideband. We will see how quickly quick tune works!

Q

After the timing mishap with a certain someone, it kinda makes you wonder whether or not the electronics would do a better job than the humans in this part of town, eh?

I paid fairly close to list price, however I did so to get full support from my tuner and the dealer that sold the unit here in the US. That said, if you are going to tune this EMS yourself I would suggest emailing a couple of the dealers down in Aus/NZ as their dollars are currently weaker than USD and the list prices are nearly identical in nominal terms. Of course you wouldn't have access for troubleshooting quite as easily. Good luck.

My local tuner (Doug at UP Garage in Tacoma) has installed three of these units (RB25, RB26, and maybe KA) with very good results (smooth power and torque, solid idle and drivability). I'm hoping this is the last EMS I need for my car!

After the timing mishap with a certain someone, it kinda makes you wonder whether or not the electronics would do a better job than the humans in this part of town, eh?

There are some featues on the Vi-PEC I like - a big one is the closed loop WOT. I also like the multidimension maps - this is useful on an RB with throttle bodies IMHO. Using the TPS as well as the MAP, knock sensor and wideband should prove useful.

i still experience some serious flat spot issues just with a MAP - if the system also relied on the TPS this problem could be averted.

I figure all said and done with the V88, wideband, ingnition and an external MAP - <$3500.

We will see how quickly I can tune it.

PS - everyone makes mistakes. Having said that if you promote yourself as the best - you should know some fundamentals. Anyone else here EVER see their boost and timing curves "match" rather than be a "mirror" of each other?

Q

• Administrators
The Quicktune feature looks interesting....

"At any time after tuning is finished the values in the target closed loop table can be changed, and the engine will automatically run the new air fuel ratio"

"At any time after tuning is finished the values in the target closed loop table can be changed, and the engine will automatically run the new air fuel ratio"

I am not sure if I understand the quick tune. Why not just set your timing, and AFR and run in closed loop mode? Especially because you can do that at WOT.

I wonder how quick tune will work on the street - without access to a dyno?

q

• Administrators
Why not just set your timing, and AFR and run in closed loop mode? Especially because you can do that at WOT.

Because a post-calculated AFR is not the same as a pre-calculated AFR. With current technology there is some delay... the distance from the chamber to the O2 sensor, sensor response time, and the ECU's reaction time become a factor with rapid engine acceleration. On a static dyno, salt flat car, stationary engine, etc, closed-loop WOT can work well because the transition rates are either slow or non-existent. A turbo car making a blast through low gears happens too quickly for closed-loop to work properly.

I wonder how quick tune will work on the street - without access to a dyno?

Expect accelerated brake wear :wink:

Edited by RTz