HybridZ

Wheel stud concern

I just recently got new wheels for the ls1 car. I needed to get spacers so i figured I would go with H&R spacers + longer studs that came with them.

Apprently those are no good. I had done some hw on them and people had striped in them the hubs and snapped them in the sx community. I figured i would get them pressed in and see myself. Well The machine shop pressed out the old ones and put the new ones in. And they were right. I can already shake most studs loose by hand. And this was from just from the car being rolled in and out of the garge (so thank god nothing happened). But i do want to ditch these studs asap. I know the common thing is to use quest lug studs. But these will not be long enough for me. (using 20mm in the front and 15mm in the rear i believe). I would like to get longer ones.

Anywho I know that best route would be to ditch the 1.25 pitch as well. But I already bought some expensive lugnuts that are 1.25 that I can not return. I was considing Nismo wheel studs. I have heard good things and they are very close in kurl diameter (search tells me I need 12.90 kurl diameter). These are 13mm. Could I give these to the machine shop to press in? Would these work? Would they be safe? Anyone used them?

Link to studs I am looking at (would need to buy two sets).

http://www.frsport.com/Nismo-40222-RS025-60mm-Extended-Wheel-Studs-240SX-S13--F-R--S14--R-_p_7862.html

Thanks.

I friend of mine had Nismo wheel studs on his s13 and broke them all the time. He's switched over to ARP and has never had a problem since. They might even be a little cheaper..

How did he do that? I read that, that happened to someone on h&r studs when the tire shop had the air gun set the 110 :icon56:. Snap them all. Im pretty sure it should be kept in the 80s range.

ARP doesn't make a 12 x 1.25 stud though, if I remember correctly. You can get the Camaro studs with the 12 x 1.5 threads from ARP.

The camaro route is one im trying to avoid because of my ridiculously expensive lug nuts that I already have and cant return.

Anyone personally use the nismo studs on a 280z?

Yes - but did you know Moroso also makes many different shoulder diameters? If you're holes are wallowed out, you can go with studs that have larger shoulders and machine out the bores. That's the route I went. 1/2" studs would barely fit through the stock holes, and it looked like a VERY weak point, so I opted to go with the larger shoulder ones with more metal mass and have the bores machined out. Expensive - but peace of mind....

I dont like to leave threads "open ended" so just wanted to post what I ended up doing.

I ended up buying new studs for a camaro (1.5). Ill try and sell the 1.25 lug nuts. I figure better be safe then sorry.

Anywho I also compared the studs, and its no wonder the h&rs didnt seat well. The actual "seat area" on the stud is almost half that of a stock stud. Looking and the arp stud, i noticed that the seating area on those is a little better then stock.

Over all I feel alot more confident this time around. Now I just need to reorder studs. :?

• 1 month later...
I dont like to leave threads "open ended" so just wanted to post what I ended up doing.

I ended up buying new studs for a camaro (1.5). Ill try and sell the 1.25 lug nuts. I figure better be safe then sorry.

Anywho I also compared the studs, and its no wonder the h&rs didnt seat well. The actual "seat area" on the stud is almost half that of a stock stud. Looking and the arp stud, i noticed that the seating area on those is a little better then stock.

Over all I feel alot more confident this time around. Now I just need to reorder studs. :?

Did you buy the Camaro ARP wheel studs?

Yes I did. SO much bigger. The problem with the h&rs compared to the arp is the actual "seating area". So definitely do it!

Thanks, sorry for bringing up an old thread. I have to get some new studs and lug nuts for the new CCWs. I plan on starting my suspension change over this weekend!

Yea, my bad. I should have posted what I ended up doing. Btw I saw the new wheels. Looks great!

Thanks, sorry for bringing up an old thread. I have to get some new studs and lug nuts for the new CCWs. I plan on starting my suspension change over this weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped in some of those "late model GM" arp studs and got some new open ended wheel nuts so that I could try different sizes of spacers, looks like it will work great. Everything is installed now, just hasnt yet been driven.

For some reason I tried to find better studs that were 1.25 to save the money of new lugs. Honestly, waste of time. The GM ones are available everywhere it seems. And as an added bonus, they are 5 lug packs, so you have a few spares if you need them. :)