HybridZ

Start of LS1 z32 build thread. Enjoy!

meindaparish

Well, after a year of research and debate on which powertrain to swap into my n/a 2 seater Z32, I've finally decided to go with the lm7 5.3 liter small block chevy v8. I originally wanted the godly ls1, but since the lm7 only weighs about 60 or so lbs. more, i didn't think the ls1 was any longer worth it for my budget build, as i got the entire 40,000 mile engine, wiring, ecu, and accessories for $400.

The next issue was finding a tranny that would break the bank or weigh as much as a beluga whale. For this I've drafted the assistance of a borg-warner T5 transmission. The bellhousing that is needed is an 11'' t5 chevy bellhousing. This tranny also helps offset the added weight of the lm7 over the ls1, since it weighs 50 lbs. less than the t56.

So the project begins now, gentlemen. I'll keep updates as frequent as possible with as many pictures as i can take. If anyone has any questions or comments please ask, as i'm sure along the way I too will be asking many questions. Also, comments welcome!

photo.jpg

i picked up the engine yesterday, as well as my ls1 intake manifold. I also purchased the bellhousing i need last night, ill post pics of that later.

• Administrators

WOO HOO! Another LSx Z-32 conversion in progress!

Excellent choice for a transmission! :2thumbs: Biggest hurdle will be getting it and the clutch adapted to the LM7, but as you stated, the 50 lbs weight savings will be worth it, not too mention it is physically smaller in diameter than the T-56 and Z-32 trans leaving more room in the trans tunnel for custom exhaust. The World Class T-5 is a smooth shifting trans perfectlyt matched to the 5.3!

Looking forward to reading more on your conversion as you progress. :2thumbs:

UPDATE

I spread all my lm7 parts around the garage tonight and took down the short block to it's bare state. I'm hot tanking it tomorrow. I have a buddy who works at a machine shop doing itfor free so that's awesome. I'm heading to thunder racing on Thursday to get some arp rod bolts, main bolts, and head studs. Then maybe find some new bearings and rings. Imthinking NAPA auto parts or car quest for a quick local pickup. And plus, chevy v8 crap is sooooo cheap. And I found a t5 from an 84 z31 turbo model, in a pull a part salvage yard. Now Im just curious as wether I need to change the yoke, or will the drive shaft spline in the z31 t5 be the same as the z32. But I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

photo-1.jpg

Here's the project vehicle in action about 2 weeks ago

2ba21f96.jpg

Sittin' pretty

4e1fbbfc.jpg

Painted the block after getting it back from the hot tank. Also, cleaned the crap out of the heads and valve covers.

e4b4f592.jpg

The problem is I just found a ls1 longblock with a spun rod bearing for $350! So if the guy selling comes through, the title of this build thread may also need to change, but I'm not getting too excited yet. I really like the 5.3, but it would cost me more in new bearings, gaskets, seals, and labor to put it back together then it would cost to go pick up the ls1 longblock....it just seems to make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

My plans are to sell the 5.3 block, rods, pistons, extra LS1 intake manifold that I have, as well as the heads off of the ls1 (since im using the 5.3 heads). Soo if anyone wants any of that, let me know. The block has been hot tanked clean and checked for straightness by a machine shop. The cross honings look pretty good too. So if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my world class t5 today, 350 bucks. My cousin trying to check out some clearance.

72c4b85d.jpg

Late tonight I put my mock up, cracked ls1 block and extra heads together to start to mock up and fabricate my motor mount extensions. It looks like the truck motor mounts will work perfectly. Also, the F body exhaust manifolds clear the steering shaft BEAUTIFULLY. The whole package appears flawless, I must admit. Ill take a bunch of pics tomorrow in the daylight so everyone can see. I love progress.

a28e0a30.jpg

what are you going to run for a clutch, flywheel,and presureplate. I am doing the same swap and it appears that the mounting pad for the crank on the ls motors is 3/8 of an inch or so closer to the front of the motor than the first gen motors. the only factory flywheel that will bolt to the crank is not drilled for the bolt pattern needed for the t5 clutch pplate setup. I hope I am wrong or that you have solved this problem.

Scott,

I too am not 100 percent yet, but Ive looked into it, and I know its not too hard. There is a guy im in contact with that did an lsx rx7 with a world class t5, and I plan on messaging him soon. Ill let you know what exactly i come up with. Honestly, its the most ignorant part of my build yet. I basically just knew that i didnt want to fit, pay for, or find a T56. I also knew that others have done it, so its possible. With knowing this, I just jumped on it when i foudn a WC t5.

Sounds great I will look forward to seeing how you do the t5 install because I will be doing the same soon. I am looking now for a world class t5 from a camaro. Some think that the camaro t5 was weaker but I was insured that all the t5 (world class) are of the same strenght. They had more problems with the chev mearly because of the weight of the car and that was the biggest difference between the two.