HybridZ

Start of LS1 z32 build thread. Enjoy!

meindaparish

Scott, I've solved the problem of the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate. I spoke with a fellow hybrid builder on v8rx7forums.com named Graham/fx who did a 5.3 to world class t5 build on his vert FCRX7. Amazingly enough, he said a stock ls1 flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate is what he used. For throwout purposes he used a Howe hydraulic throwout bearing found here:

http://www.howeracing.com/p-7753-improved-hydraulic-for-stock-clutches.aspx

82870.png

To finish off the issue, he said he used a stock pilot bearing from a newer GM pickup truck. Im very happy with this info. He said it went together like stock and performs just fine on his road tests. The TO bearing is only 165 dollars from howe. Not too bad IMO.

Scott, I've solved the problem of the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate. I spoke with a fellow hybrid builder on v8rx7forums.com named Graham/fx who did a 5.3 to world class t5 build on his vert FCRX7. Amazingly enough, he said a stock ls1 flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate is what he used. For throwout purposes he used a Howe hydraulic throwout bearing found here:

http://www.howeracing.com/p-7753-improved-hydraulic-for-stock-clutches.aspx

82870.png

To finish off the issue, he said he used a stock pilot bearing from a newer GM pickup truck. Im very happy with this info. He said it went together like stock and performs just fine on his road tests. The TO bearing is only 165 dollars from howe. Not too bad IMO.

You should check out speedway, I got the same piece for a lot less. And also check the engagement of the splines on the input shaft. When we did this if was almost off the splines. That's why there's a thicker flywheel made for conversions.

Cary

lookin good man! I can't wait to see the completion of this. So the mounts are 100% fabricated, eh? Ever think of building a few of them and selling them to the masses?

whats up with the wood laying on the ground in that one pic? Was it a roof or something?

I could make a few for people if they really wanted them. I just dont wanna deal with any lawsuits or anything if something breaks!! lol :) Not that I dont trust my welds or anything, but you know how it goes. When everything is 100 % i will give some good pics and measurments.

And that wood on the ground is the wood flooring left over from the house that was there. When they demolished the house, they didnt pull up the wood flooring off of the slab.

Cool project! Was looking at how the car is up in the air...I hope those are not just cinderblocks...they can FAIL....I work in the emergency services field and have been to a fatal accident with a similar setup... just want to make sure you enjoy the results of your project...in one piece!

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got back to it today.... been waiting on time and funding(aren't we all!) I finally completed the motor mounts 100%. Just gotta paint em now. They came out well, definitely think they will work great. The good part is, you can drill the hole where ever you want, so I can move the motor slightly forward or back.

f7b88f63.jpg

The other side is open so you can get the the bolt/nut. Ill post more pics later

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm interested in knowing as well. From what I understand, using a Corvette pilot bearing and also using a thick flywheel is required. The October 2008 issue of Car Craft explained the mathematics in the article, and after seeing that I felt that either: 1) I'll be ponying up the dough to use the McLeod flywheel for this combo, or 2) find out if there's a thicker GM flywheel in production that would suffice.

Then.....

I'd come across an article in Corvette Fever where they'd used a TKO transmission on an LSx motor, and no mention was made whatsoever about having to utilize a thicker flywheel, only that a different pilot bearing is required. There was an explanation about using a BBC transmission bellhousing to allow room for the LSx flywheel/starter, otherwise you'd have to go with a 153-tooth flywheel/starter (versus the 168-tooth flywheel/starter for the LSx) to use an SBC bellhousing. No mention was made about the transmission input shaft having sufficient/insufficient depth to properly engage the pilot bearing due to the flywheel.

http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/corp_0808_tremec_tko_600_the_shift_is_on_tech/bellhousing.html

• 1 year later...