HybridZ

Show Off Your Engine Bay! Pics Wanted, L-series

philipl

• 2 months later...

Some incredible looking engine bays in this thread. Finally got mine a lot cleaner than when I originally picked up my Z a couple years ago. Still need a coolant overflow tank and an oil catch can to complete, also just picked up some new air filters for the velocity stacks that I have not seen anyone else running. Anyone know of a low profile (depth wise, 2.5" or less) electric fan? I have a 12" on my Koyo Radiator and it is still running a little hotter than I would like. 

post-32179-0-38147800-1429833755_thumb.jpg

post-32179-0-09959900-1429833824_thumb.jpg

The color is from the first generation Infiniti FX and last generation Q45 and is called Berrylium (C16).

Great color combinations you used throughout the car. Real classy looking.

I think I have seen this fuel line layout before.

attachicon.gifP1004094.jpg

Haha indeed! I love your airbox and filter. If anyone is curious the filters shown in my last picture I literally just put on the car as I was not using the air horns before but rather had the box K&N filters for each carb. These new filters do not flow nearly as well, dropped my AFR's right into the 10's at WOT, so I have taken my horns off for the time being, back to the drawing board for me :( 

Haha indeed! I love your airbox and filter. If anyone is curious the filters shown in my last picture I literally just put on the car as I was not using the air horns before but rather had the box K&N filters for each carb. These new filters do not flow nearly as well, dropped my AFR's right into the 10's at WOT, so I have taken my horns off for the time being, back to the drawing board for me :(

The problem with filters that fit onto the end of air horns is that they disrupt air flow and undo the air smoothing effect that is the reason for running air horns in the first place.  Having the air horns on show always looks great though.  Your engine bay is beautiful by the way, very very tidy!  

My engine bay isn't done yet, still a few things to change up, but since this topic popped up, I'll share :)

(Please don't ask about the brackets on the strut brace - previous owner's work, not mine, I know it's odd...  I'm leaving it alone until I buy a better brace.)

post-29570-0-19802200-1429985480_thumb.jpg

post-29570-0-61449700-1429985522_thumb.jpg

Great color combinations you used throughout the car. Real classy looking.

Thanks! It's in the shop getting AEM standalone EFI as we speak, so I'm hoping to have it running great very soon and then finish out the interior. It's been without carpet or sound deadening since I first got it running in 2012...

post-2567-0-27455900-1429991864_thumb.jpg

post-2567-0-98698300-1429991877_thumb.jpg

The problem with filters that fit onto the end of air horns is that they disrupt air flow and undo the air smoothing effect that is the reason for running air horns in the first place.  Having the air horns on show always looks great though.  Your engine bay is beautiful by the way, very very tidy!  

My engine bay isn't done yet, still a few things to change up, but since this topic popped up, I'll share :)

(Please don't ask about the brackets on the strut brace - previous owner's work, not mine, I know it's odd...  I'm leaving it alone until I buy a better brace.)

Yeah I think you are bang on, I have also heard that the size of the filter really needs to be about 2.5 x the size of the opening for maximum efficiency. I may try one more option for individual filters that solves both issues; 

http://www.inglese.com/ing/8-snap-in-stack-filters-chrome-top-for-billet-or-efi-stackshtml/

How do you like the ITG foam setup? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks! It's in the shop getting AEM standalone EFI as we speak, so I'm hoping to have it running great very soon and then finish out the interior. It's been without carpet or sound deadening since I first got it running in 2012...

I finally put the intake back together today.  Here's an upated engine compartment shot.

post-2567-0-42708400-1437942488_thumb.jpg

Edited by cegrover

Been feeling nostalgic for my old 280z lately. I did keep the whole turbo/injection setup with megasquirt, so maybe someday I'll get back in the game. I never had a place with a garage back then, so most of the "fabrication" was hasty and chop-shop status (note the zip tie-to-radiator-support IC piping mount), but I still stand by some of the choices as being poorly implemented viable ideas. I had plans for under-scooping the top mount intercooler with a tray that was ducted to the front of the car, and then a louver plate attached to the top to help pull air through at speed. As it was there though, I'm pretty sure all I was doing was heat soaking it. 

One of the things I'd convinced myself was a good idea that I never saw anyone else do was feeding fuel into both ends of the JSK fuel rail, with the pressure regulator/return coming out of the center. My thought was that since the rail was so long, there would be benefit in feeding it from both sides to prevent the injectors downstream from starving. That's one of the choices I'm not sure I'd make again. You can see that better in this pre-turbo picture:

DSCI0015-1.jpg

After turbo install:

intercoolerphotoshoot5.jpg

intercoolerphotoshoot7.jpg