HybridZ

$1.98 posi ???

dmanzo57

I remember reading about this trick for the 9" Ford open differential.

It involved adding shims in the differential to tighten it up and make

it act like a posi-traction, for a while at least.

Would this work on a R200 open differential? Where would the shims need

to be placed?

Thanks,

Don

cheers.gif

I have ben in a car when the rearend locked. it instantly started swaping ends. Long lonley road half way inbetween san antionio, and neuevo laredo. not only were we stranded, we were lucky to be alive. be carefull.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

speaking of Ford parts

you ever hear of a mini spool?

i have a machine shop next to my shop and we have been talking about making a mini spool for the R200

got to have some orders first

if you would like to put your name on a list to get 1, E Mail me at

ZSpeedauto@aol.com

P.S.

they make tappits like the dealer (or stock) ones any height, yes with the skirt so thet dont slip out at high RPMs

2thumbs.gif

Yea weld it! even cheaper if ya have the tools!hehehe

I'm always up for a low budget trick!!

I bought a 3.9 R200 like this a few years ago.. It was great for launching!! The car would really hook, and I decimated lots of suckers with that combo.

Kinda hard on U joints though.. as mine was a near daily driver street shark. Drove it on the street like that for two summers.. even in the rain!

It wasn't as bad a people say they are. I have some great footage of the car on the track in the pouring rain with that diff... not one spinout.. and yea I pushed it all it could suffer..It was loads of fun.

Though it was like pushing a cement truck whenever the car wasn't running... ugg.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend with a Datsun 1600 Roadster that tightened down his pinion gears as well (it's obviously not an R200 rear but I'm just confirming that the trick exists). He was happy enough with the results to the handling (it's an SCCA autocross car) to shell out the money for a real LSD though.

The pinion is only one gear and tightening it removes the play,sets crush collar. It does not affect the side gears that alow only one side to be the power wheel. Welding them, mini spool which replaces the gear set, lsd unit are the usual ways of acheiving a true posi unit. Aftermarket posi unit act differently depending on what you want. A Detriot Locker is a full no slip posi that sux when it comes to cornering but its strength is top notch, mini spool is basically the same, lsd allows some give in between the rear wheels which allows smoother cornering. A welded diff on a short wheel base car/jeep/truck is tempermental to corner with. So in most cars people go for an lsd style unit for all around driving performance. Just my $0.02 here trying to help out!! 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif