HybridZ

LSx powered Z-32.... GO!!!!

BRAAP

• Administrators

In coming up with dimensions for the custom pan, I overlaid the rack and pinion to a few oil pans.

MAGENTA circle depicts rack and pinion.

GREEN is material to remove to clear rack.

BLUE is material to be removed for cross-member, (cross-member can be modified for less interference.)

GTO front sump pan;

GTOZ32.jpg

Caddy CTS-V pan;

cadillacsideZ32.jpg

F-body pan;

F-bodZ32.jpg

C-5 batwing pan;

C5Z32.jpg

Till the next update…

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators
I still want to use a t5 on my ls1 z32 i think...I cant see spending the 1000 plus dollars on the t56 right now. Anyone ever found out whether the stock z32 tranny is easily adapted to the ls1?

Saw your update on the T-5 trans! That is very good news, thanks for the update on that. Been watching your build thread with enthusiasm. :2thumbs:

I sort a looked into the Z-32 5 speed then decided against it. Now that you bring it up again, I might just look into it a little deeper, if for no other reason than to see if it is a viable option for others to pursue, i.e. if it is just an adapter plate, getting the Z-32 flywheel modified to attach to the LSx crank, etc. This may be a worthwhile solution for some as it would eliminate the need to deal with shifter placement issues, custom drive-line, speedo drive, etc.

• Administrators

Not much to update.

Starter and starter bolts arrived.

The 0968 Vette cam arrived and is ready to install in the engine.

I have a small suspicion that I may not see the LS6 cam. Paid for it, haven’t heard squat diddly since. I have his address…. I’ll give him aa couple more weeks. :wink:

The LSx T-56 should be here today or tomorrow?

Ordered OE MLS head gaskets, head bolts, intake mani gaskets, TB gasket, new Vette water pump, and billet fuel rails for the LS1 intake.

Pulled the heads and disassembled them, Jet washed and blasted as well. Will be porting them and 4-5 angle valve job in the next couple weeks.

Also Jet washed ALL of my LSx oil pans. The ’01 truck pan, 2000 Vette Bat-Wing pan, F-bod pan and my recently acquired GTO pan. :2thumbs:

When I removed the failed lifter and cam, I took a few pictures, made some notes and started a cam failure analysis thread;

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1075148-cam-lobe-failure-analyses.html

Better get back to my Honey-do list.

Till the next update….

• Administrators
So it looks like the F-body or Caddy pan would work the best? Which one did you decide to go with.

Hoping the timing with my project and the SIKKY LSx Z-32 project coincides enough that the info I provided them thus far regarding dimensions will result in a dedicated custom LSx Z-32 pan. One they would ultimately manufacture and offer for their LSx Z-32 conversion kit. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought Braap; I have seen on another LS1 Z32 build where the owner was using a Holden pan... I'm not sure if you've considered this or not just throwing info out there and he did not host pics of his pan, just stated that's what he's using

I've been trying to find a pic for you with little results, my searching can be so-so..

Hope this helps

RK

• Administrators

Between the inrush of customer projects and ordering and receiving little bits and pieces thus far, misc hardware for the powertrain, etc, there isn't much to update right now, sorry.

The biggest news, it looks like I may have sealed a work trade deal for an LS-6 intake! :2thumbs:

Within the next 3 weeks or so, I'll pull my Z in the shop and remove the VG30DE and 5 speed, unless the poewrtain sells sooner, and will start mocking up in that car then. Hopefully around that time we'll have the custom oil-pan on hand for test fitting as well. please.gif

That's about it for now.

:burnout:

:burnout:

As per this thread - http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125246

The VG30DETT minus turbos, water pump, timing belt, timing belt covers, and one ignition coil weighs 442 lbs.

Most of the information on the net shows that the all aluminum LS1 comes in between 400-425 in most configurations. I have yet to see any documented case of it being heavier or lighter than that range.

The LS6 weight in that thread above has a 4L60E transmission and weighs 609 lbs, and that transmission's aprox wet weight is around 176lbs.

• Administrators
I wish I knew I was going to do this swap a little while ago. I just sold my money-maker LS6 intake. :(

Any idea how much the VG30DE weighs compared to the LS1?

Gollums link is great source for such data. Thanks Gollum.

My $.02 for this application is the weight difference between a VG30DETT and an aluminum LSx is going to be rather small. The ancillaries you choose and other mods to the car, or even tire and wheel choices will most likely have a greater impact on overall vehicle weight difference than the engines alone. The aluminum block LSx should come in at approx 30-50 lbs lighter than a comparably equipped/dressed VG30DETT, and the LSx center of mass will be lower than the VG30DE, which in my opinion, will have a greater impact, (for the better), on how the car feels than the 30-50 lbs overall weight reduction.

In my getting all huffy over power train weights a little while back, I wanted to give myself some perspective on how much of an impact a measly 75-100 lbs or so weight difference would have on my Z-32. Granted, this example is not quite scientific as the engine is over the front wheels, my example is weight change over the rear, but you'll get the idea.

Automotive (pump) Gasoline weighs approx 6.2 lbs per gallon. The Z-32 fuel capacity is just shy of 16 gallons, (we’ll call it 15 gallons usable fuel for arguments sake). The difference from a full tank to just making it to the gas station empty is 93 lbs. How much do you really notice that weight difference in a 3400-3600 lb Z-32 street car? Depending on how in-tune you are to your car, you may notice the slight difference in overall performance. I personally can just slightly notice the difference when taking off from a stop aggressively, if I am paying attention, but more importantly, I notice a much greater impact in performance from a cool morning vs a warm humid afternoon.

In a race car that weighs less than 3000 lbs, race stiff suspension and engine mounts, etc, that weight difference would be noticeable. For a street car as large as the Z-32 is… The weight difference, in my opinion, is so close I prefer not to even think about. :wink:

That's exactly what I wanted to know. I was assuming the LS1 was about 30Lbs lighter than the VG. Interesting that the center of gravity is lower, but after thinking about it, I realized you're right. The block itself sits lower with most of the heavy components down low (push-rod motor) as compared to the top-heavy quad cam VG.

That's going to make a big difference.

Yea, a 90 degree V DOHC engine has quite a bit of weight up top. Even the SOHC VG is considerably lighter, though I have yet to see definitive weights as posted in that linked thread. The weight I've seen floating around is 392, which might be accurate, but with what bolted onto it? It's a mystery. At any rate you start to get the picture that it's much lighter than it's dual cam brethren, and when you see the two in person you notice the huge size difference.