HybridZ

LSx powered Z-32.... GO!!!!

BRAAP

• Administrators

Crash,

You are quite welcome, I am glad this has been of help. I will continue to offer as much info as I can, just as I have been even though I'm pulling the plug on my particular project. :-( Details to follow shortly.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Ok, I’ve made a decision that was very VERY difficult to make!

I have officially pulled the plug on my Z-32 LSx conversion. verysad.gif My particular Z-32 is too nice to chop up, (in my eyes any how). I will continue to contribute to this thread and help others pursuing this conversion as best I can. I still have the Z-32 mock up mule and don’t have any plans to get rid of it any time soon and still have the LS1 mock up block and an extra LS1 intake as well. If you guys want a particular scenario mocked up with the parts I have on hand, just ask and I’ll make an effort to mock that up and take all the pics I can.

As such, being as I want my daily driver to have more torque, my uber clean, Pearl Green Z-32 is now up for sale. I could just keep it and tolerate its stock N/A performance, but cant justify it. I have this male craving to Hybrid a daily driver chassis with an LSx! I’ll post a classifieds ad in a few days time.

Moving on....

...My next car/project/daily driver WILL get an LSx, as such I will continue my research and acquisition of all parts “LSx”.

With my Z-32 up for sale, I’m on the look out for a new LSx compatible chassis.

Thank you Shaggy for all the Z-31 samples. Those examples are stunning, but I think I want to turn my attention down a different path. Again, I do thank you. bgiorno.gif

After seeing how nicely the LSx fits in the deep cavernous 350-Z engine bay in a recent thread posted up elsewhere, that has sparked some interest in doing a G35 coupe LSx car. I would like a 4 seater, though if the right deal on a the right 2 seater came along, aka 350-Z or Honda S-2000 with blown power-train, I might consider that, (clean body and interior).

The other option on the table is, (cough... cough...) the BMW E-36. A 4 door ’95-’99 M3 manual trans car as the recipient of my LSx and T-56 pretty much fills the role in the performance handling department with the ability to haul 4 adults. LSx firmly roots it acceleration performance and fits in the E36 engine bay with much ease. Granted, a sedan or even a 4 seat coupe doesn’t have the driveway sex appeal the Z-32 or other 2 seat sports car has but if an extra person/child wants to go into town, I don’t have leave the toy at home and take the truck so all can go along… The other Bimmer 3 series cars, (323, 325, 328) could also work especially at a much lower entry fee, applying the money saved vs the M3 to the suspension goodies. :wink:

Edited by BRAAP

Well, yeah, I'd have a problem cutting up a clean car too so I totally understand.

The BMW E36 with an LS1 is one of my friends dream cars. If he had the cash, he'd be building it as we speak. It's a pretty cool swap and I've seen videos of them do extremely well on the track.

LSx motors are seriously awesome motors, so anything they can be fit into they should be put into! :D

The S2000 would be a cool swap. I've heard of it being done before, but never seen it with my own eyes. I look forward to what you plan to do. Meanwhile, I'm still saving some $ to start my project. Hopefully in the next month I can start purchasing the parts and stripping down my car.

How strange, I was just looking at BMW prices recently as donor vehicles. They've REALLY come down as the market has shifted lately. I'm sure you could pick up one with just slight engine problems for pretty darn cheap.

All options sound exciting to me though, and I'll be eager to hear about it and watch it progress.

Yeah. For the past 2 years, I've seen the E36s going for about $5K-ish running. I bet a good body donor car with engine issues would be an easy buy. I've seen pics of LS1 Z33s around. Pretty cool looking, actually. But I still like the Z32 more. I'd LOVE to get a really beefy LSx in a Z34 as they're my favorite body and interior as of yet. But I we won't be seeing those for cheap any time soon and I still really love the drive and feel of my Z32.

i have a 99 convertable bmw as my daily, and thought about doing a LS1 swap in it, but I think i'm just going to sell it for the 300zx. I don't mind cutting the firewall, done it plenty of times in 350 conversions in minitrucks. Thanks to all for everyone's input.

Hi everyone...gonna go ahead and jump in here. I'm planning an LSx swap in my Z32 as well. And like BRAAP, I am not wanting to cut my firewall/trans tunnel. Soooo, here is what I have so far:

I've got my donor car as well as an "extra" car (I believe BRAAP calls it a mock-up mule:mrgreen:). I also have 2 additional front cross members and steering racks that I will be using for mockups. I will be using a Mcleod bellhousing in hopes that it will give me enough clearance in that area. And finally, a plastic mock-up LS1 engine block should be here in the next couple of days, which will make it alot easier to work with.

So basically I'll be tinkering around with different steering rack setups (and modified cross members if needed) in hopes that I can come up with some sort of solution to this problem that we all seem to be having...lol.

BRAAP, your info thus far has been awesome, so keep it coming....the more work you do, the less I have to do...haha. jk

Nice, Spartan. The plastic mock-up block... How heavy is it and where did you get it from? I've never heard of this before.

I look forward to seeing how the bellhousing works out for you because I have no idea how much clearance it actually leaves. I'll have to cut the firewall no matter what, but the less I have to cut the better.

• Administrators

Spartan,

Thank you. Glad all my efforts thus far were not in vain. I will continue mock up and supply any info I can and do find that may of benefit to you guys that pressing on…

The Plastic mock up block will help tremendously. Another key component is to also bolt the trans or a replica of the trans you plan to use as that will establish set back and height due to the bell-housing and trans body clearances etc with the Z-32 body/tunnel/fireawall. Any way, looking forward to seeing your progress. If I can be of any help, don’t hesitate to ask. Same goes for your to Crash. :2thumbs:

• Administrators

My car is now up for sale;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=147405

Made up my mind on the new car. It will be an BMW E36, 4 door car, manual trans. Ideally an M-3 keeping the option open for any 3 series if the price is right.

Next Z car project, if I start one any time if the near future, will be something more serious, weekend warrior track car, something fun, extreme, but street legal so seat time wont be limited to just track days. :wink: A gutted and seriously lightened up Z-32, cut the firewall and move the engine back till it fits "just right" with a nice moderately prepped LSx would be rather cool! Finding a beater shell that I wouldn't mind hacking up for pennies will be the key to that project... :wink:

I think you hit the nail on the head with that project. BMW first, track car after! Keeping yourself busy!

Honestly, I've been thinking about this project so much that when its done I'm going to feel kind of empty. So I'll likely start another project too.

You going to post your BMW project on these forums even though it's not a Z?

• Administrators

Mostly will only post in the public sections of the forum any info related directly to the LSx power-train that would be of benefit to this forum. If I discuss the car and the conversion, it will be just the highlights with some details and pics, etc, in the members projects section, "Other Vehicles"

Sweet. Can't wait to see what you do. There were a few M E36 cars here on craigslist for about 4-6K. They looked like they were in good condition body wise with some minor electrical or mechanical issues. The mechanical problems are not a big deal, but some BMWs have electrical issues with thinks like radio, lights, wipers, etc... Aside from that, you should have no problem finding a good priced straight bodied M.

Ok, I’ve made a decision that was very VERY difficult to make!

I have officially pulled the plug on my Z-32 LSx conversion. verysad.gif My particular Z-32 is too nice to chop up, (in my eyes any how). I will continue to contribute to this thread and help others pursuing this conversion as best I can. I still have the Z-32 mock up mule and don’t have any plans to get rid of it any time soon and still have the LS1 mock up block and an extra LS1 intake as well. If you guys want a particular scenario mocked up with the parts I have on hand, just ask and I’ll make an effort to mock that up and take all the pics I can.

As such, being as I want my daily driver to have more torque, my uber clean, Pearl Green Z-32 is now up for sale. I could just keep it and tolerate its stock N/A performance, but cant justify it. I have this male craving to Hybrid a daily driver chassis with an LSx! I’ll post a classifieds ad in a few days time.

Moving on....

...My next car/project/daily driver WILL get an LSx, as such I will continue my research and acquisition of all parts “LSx”.

With my Z-32 up for sale, I’m on the look out for a new LSx compatible chassis.

Thank you Shaggy for all the Z-31 samples. Those examples are stunning, but I think I want to turn my attention down a different path. Again, I do thank you. bgiorno.gif

After seeing how nicely the LSx fits in the deep cavernous 350-Z engine bay in a recent thread posted up elsewhere, that has sparked some interest in doing a G35 coupe LSx car. I would like a 4 seater, though if the right deal on a the right 2 seater came along, aka 350-Z or Honda S-2000 with blown power-train, I might consider that, (clean body and interior).

The other option on the table is, (cough... cough...) the BMW E-36. A 4 door ’95-’99 M3 manual trans car as the recipient of my LSx and T-56 pretty much fills the role in the performance handling department with the ability to haul 4 adults. LSx firmly roots it acceleration performance and fits in the E36 engine bay with much ease. Granted, a sedan or even a 4 seat coupe doesn’t have the driveway sex appeal the Z-32 or other 2 seat sports car has but if an extra person/child wants to go into town, I don’t have leave the toy at home and take the truck so all can go along… The other Bimmer 3 series cars, (323, 325, 328) could also work especially at a much lower entry fee, applying the money saved vs the M3 to the suspension goodies. :wink:

BRAAP: Go see the following for a LSx in a BMW E36. http://www.nash8503.com.

Got the plastic mock-up block from Summit......it's pretty sweet! I actually just sat it in my engine bay the second I got it, just for the hell of it! lol Seeing it in there made me want this swap that much more!!

So not to hijack BRAAPs thread, I will be starting my own build thread. Remember, I will not be cutting the firewall. I am in the process of building a complete bolt-in front crossmember and steering rack that will elimiate the need to cut the firewall, cut the hood, etc. (It's already been started...hehe)

:mrgreen:

Of course, I'll keep checking this thread regularly! Good luck with your BMW BRAAP!!!