HybridZ

240z seat question?

toronto240z

Im in the process of a frame up restoration on a '73 240z and I would like some feedback from you knowledgeable folk!

The floors were replaced so currently there are no seat bracket installed. Im going to start laying out the sound dampening material and the carpet and wanted to know if I should mount the new seat brackets before laying out the insulation and carpet and if I should mount (with lock nuts and bolts) or weld the new brackets to the floor.

I'm in a fix because I want to start putting the interior back but I am not sure on what seats I am putting in as I don't have any.

any help would be appreciated

Im in the process of a frame up restoration on a '73 240z and I would like some feedback from you knowledgeable folk!

The floors were replaced so currently there are no seat bracket installed. Im going to start laying out the sound dampening material and the carpet and wanted to know if I should mount the new seat brackets before laying out the insulation and carpet and if I should mount (with lock nuts and bolts) or weld the new brackets to the floor.

I'm in a fix because I want to start putting the interior back but I am not sure on what seats I am putting in as I don't have any.

any help would be appreciated

I made the mistake of fabricating and welding my seat brackets prior to buying my seats. I had to cut my brackets out and weld in new ones. If I had to do it again I would have waited.

Thanks guys I think I will get the seats mounted first :) I have seen a pair of black Ractive seats going for around $280/pr sliders included, what do ya think of the price? the company doesnt make brackets tho. I'm trying my best to avoid welding the mounting brackets in just because I have never done that before...I have worked with sheet metal and very comfortable with that but my past work has never required me to weld anything...apart from fabricating a set to be bolted in place are there any sort of ready made universal type bracket?

Welding in the brackets adds rigidity. Plus, would you want to bet your health on a few pop rivets in a frontal collision? It is a simple task with a mig welder. If you're anxious about it then ask for help or get in a little practice on some scrap. The key is clean metal and a good welder.

I am going to be in your exact boat.

Buy the seats first. If you still have your old seats, you may want to use those sliders. You will likely have to make a bracket to attach them to the seat, and then some kind of bracket to mount to the floor no matter what seat you choose. Don't be fooled into a universal bracket unless you can see it for yourself. The universal bracket does not fit "ALL" especially a narrow floored s30.

I have been looking for seats for quite a while, and have not yet found what I'm looking for. Let me know about the seats you are looking at..sound like a good price to me (if they fit)

Good luck

Scott.

stay away from Ractive stuff. It's crap quality, especially for a car like this. Stay away from those car show "Recaros" too, as their even worse. Try and find some old real recaros, or go for some Sparcos or Cobra or Corbeau (not too expensive depending on the model).

Not too sure about mounts and that stuff, but invest in some good seats, or at least one for you.