HybridZ

Z31 VG30ET into an S30 project outline

ZR8ED

Great to have some more pics of it. 9 years ago, huh? I wasn't able to drive back then, much less work on a car.

I'm doing the same swap as well, only very slowly. I've planned on having the engine (and thus, the shifter) mounted further back. No exhaust crossover, and the coolant lines from the back are being "modified" as well to fit. Basically, the intake manifold is right next to the hood latch. Any further and I might have to reach in the boot to shift.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently doing the VG30ET swap in my '71 240Z. I used a Pathfinder intake manifold angle-milled slightly for hood clearance and will be front mounting the turbo with custom manifolds. I was able to use the stock trans mount location with some minor hole slotting and a shifter mod. The early (series-1) 240Z chassis uses a different trans cross member and shifter location than the later cars so this may have been a factor. Steering clearance will not be a problem with the custom manifolds, but it would have been if I had used a relocation pipe. I used an alternator bracket from a KA24DE to avoid frame clearance issues. I found that I also had to use a different oil filter but went with a Volvo 240/740 OEM filter. I had no clearance issues with the hood latch area as the pathfinder manifold sits to the left of the hood latch and does not hang off the back of the engine like the 300ZX manifold does.

Edited by Glitch
forgot to add something important

The pic in my signature is my car with the pathfinder manifold installed. It looks a bit different because I spent several hours smoothing it and removing all extra bumps and letters from it but is otherwise stock. I don't have any other pics hosted anywhere but my signature pic is current.

Edited by Glitch
forgot something

The pic in my signature is my car with the pathfinder manifold installed. It looks a bit different because I spent several hours smoothing it and removing all extra bumps and letters from it but is otherwise stock. I don't have any other pics hosted anywhere but my signature pic is current.

Host your swap pix here. I wanna see too!

I'll post some new pics soon. Right now where I live it's still -12C and snowing!!! My car is stored in an unheated garage so needless to say I haven't been doing any work on it through the winter. Things should be a little more spring-like in the coming weeks and I can't wait to get this car finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What type of motor mounts did both of you use to do the swap?

My swap will be right about the same as both of yours but it will not be a VG30ET, i will be doing a supercharged motor in my engine, which means i will not have the itake plenum on the car.

So will there be any differences with the motor mounts that will need to be done?

Thx.

-Omar..

What type of motor mounts did both of you use to do the swap?

My swap will be right about the same as both of yours but it will not be a VG30ET,

If you're not using the VG30ET, I'm curious why you're asking these guys specifically. Also, your signature still says "VG30ET swap in progress."

If you're not using the VG30ET, I'm curious why you're asking these guys specifically. Also, your signature still says "VG30ET swap in progress."

Im asking that because im pretty sure all vgs have the same mounts, as my brother has one.

At the time that I did my signature i was planning on doing a turbo motor, but a buddy of mine sold me the things i need to supercharge it for only $100.

Drax, my thread is not entirely worthless...I do have one pic :P The snow is pretty much gone now and as soon as I get a bit of time to move the clutter around my car I will take some pics. I did upload a few crappy phone pics to an album on my profile here at Hybridz if you just HAVE to look at something. There are a couple of shots of the mock-ups for the mounts in there.

Im asking that because im pretty sure all vgs have the same mounts, as my brother has one.

At the time that I did my signature i was planning on doing a turbo motor, but a buddy of mine sold me the things i need to supercharge it for only $100.

turbos have a different driver mount, its moved forward, just like the mounting point on the crossmember.

if it was me, id turbo and sc it LOL

turbos have a different driver mount, its moved forward, just like the mounting point on the crossmember.

if it was me, id turbo and sc it LOL

I was thinking about it, cause that was my original plan and I already have the turbo manifold.

My bro is gonna upgrade his t3 to a t3/t4 60 trim .63 ar, so if i really want to, i can just rebuild it and have a twin charged car.

But that is gonna be WAY too much for me! :D

Im only fifteen and my first car is already gonna be BOOSTED! :)

So im just planning on doing the supercharger for now..

But you never know, sooner or later I know im jus gonna go twin charged.

Though another reason im going to go VG30ER is because how common is it that you see one? Especially in a "74 260Z?

-Omar..

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

i came across this website http://xenonzcar.com/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=40e61874a16631ecb6028e7d62580752 i plan to do vg swap in my z hopefully and i thought it would nice since it relocates the turbo upfront.

That's some expensive garbage!

The link doesn't show up for me, but I can only assume it is for the turbo relocation manifolds I make, since I am the only one who makes them for the VG30ET. I can understand why it may seem expensive when it has taken over two years for you to put a 2JZ into a 280z due to lack of funds, but I don't understand the garbage comment. I have never had one of these fail on anyone, they work great and they bolt onto the factory cross over pipe. I ran an 11.5 in the 1/4 on mine and could have gone more had I more injector to work with.

That being said... It looks like there is TONS of room for a VG30ET in an S30 chassis! I love the project, keep it up!

• 1 year later...