HybridZ

1971 Datsun 510 Goon

nullbound

Wow. That sucks. I hope you can get it fixed up soon. Let me know if you need help locating any parts.

BTW, did you have the ZX brakes installed or were you still on stock brakes?

Thanks... I may ping you when I'm looking for parts (driver's fender, grill, and surrounding pieces). It'll be interesting to see what the other driver's insurance company tries to offer. This happened on stock brakes, which I went through a few months ago, replacing the pads/shoes and upgrading the rubber lines to stainless braided ones. I was holding off on the ZX upgrade until I got the 260 on the road.

• 7 months later...

The front end is finally getting fixed at the body shop. It took a while to get all the parts needed and for my paint guy to have an opening, especially since he was also working on my 260z. I'm hoping to get the goon back within a month. In the meantime, I've been gathering suspension and brake parts for when I get the car back.

And here's a little something I picked up recently, too:

DSC03368.jpg

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03372.jpg

Once I get the car back, the L20B above is going in with a ZX 5 speed. I'm also doing front coilovers, bushings, and 280zx brakes. Now if I can just find somewhere to put my 280 that won't piss off the neighbors.

Wreck? What wreck? I dropped by the body shop today to have a look at the wagon.

DSC03568.jpg

DSC03569.jpg

DSC03570.jpg

I should be able to bring it home next weekend. The front driver's side turn signal lens was busted and I didn't get the replacement to them until today. They put the lens on while I was there, but the lens wasn't lining up with the body correctly. They're going to fix that during the week.

• 2 months later...

The wagon is ready to be worked on, but it's been too hot to think about.

I did, however, manage to get another set of rear leaf springs off a parts car that qwik240 has at his place. It was so hot that day... but sawzall, some shade, some cold bottled water, and I got the springs I'll need later for when I get around to the suspension work on my car.

Dave's Rusty Turd:

DSC03595.jpg

Any shade was good shade:

DSC03596.jpg

Spoils:

DSC03598.jpg

I plan to combine one flipped leaf from these springs into the pack that's currently on the car. This was covered in a Dime Quarterly article for lowering wagons.

Another future consideration came from jmortenson in using a set of leaf spring sliders: leaf spring sliders

I want to lower the wagon without using lowering blocks in the rear. I'm just not a fan of that method. If necessary, I'll have the springs re-arched.

• 1 month later...

Any updates?

I love this goon!

Thanks, man. No real updates, unfortunately. One of my hold-ups has been to get my driveway extended, which just got done on the 8th of this month:

med_gallery_212_991_562290.jpg

I had to do this so I'd have somewhere to park the wagon so that the neighbors/HOA wouldn't/couldn't complain. Otherwise, I would only be able to park it in the grass next to my driveway (where that new paved area is in the pic above). The neighborhood fashion police didn't like it whenever I parked my 280Z on the grass.

I'm not part of the covenants in my neighborhood and have politely given them the finger for their past complaints, so they've turned me into the county code enforcement for any complaints they've had since then. The county code person came and saw my 280z in the grass and said I had to park on a hard, treated surface or get fined if they came back to find it still sitting there in the grass. They also verified they only come out if someone complains. Otherwise, they have better things to do. So it's now paved and I can park there and continue giving our HOA reps the finger(s).

Other than that, it's been too hot until recent weeks and work has been keeping me too busy. I've got a few small projects to wrap up on my 260z. Once those are done (hopefully in the next few weeks) I can then get the goon in the garage and get started on the upgrades. I've got almost everything I need for what I plan to do (brakes, suspension, motor and transmission swap, some interior work).

I'll take plenty of pics B)

• 6 months later...

Still waiting! lol

Hope she is coming back out soon!

:unsure:

Unfortunately, I don't have anything new worth reporting. I've been working on the 260z, did a few things to the 240z, and have been helping a friend on occasion with his insanely awesome '60's mustang.

The list of remaining items on the 260z keeps growing (nasty while-i'm-at-it situation). I should have some updates up on the 260z and the 240z in the coming weeks.

Work on the goon will follow. It will definitely be a summer project... I really miss driving that car and want it back on the road. People at work have been asking about it, too.

Sorry to keep you waiting...