HybridZ

GM 3800 s/c Zcar

L67z

Just wondering what you guys think of my idea.... Been messin with 3800 supercharged series 1 and 2 Grand Prix GTP and Buick Riviera cars (drag racing) for a few years and have unfortunately found the limit with front wheel drive transaxle differentials. I have broken enuff of them that im forced to try rear wheel drive to go further with the engines. Anyone seen this done? Ive seen Grand National setups just wondered if anyone had seen a newer 3800 in one? 400 hp is easy from these engines and im sure with a 700r4 mileage should fall between 25 and 30 mpg in a z.... Any opinions?

Try the search button, a guy just recently finished up a N/A 3800 in an S30.

I know the issues with the supercharger on the US Market 3800s is that in a rear wheel setup [like a camaro or Z] the intake side of the M90 hits the firewall. Holden made a special intake for the M90 so it wouldnt hit, but from what I hear they are hard to find or expensive.

Good luck, I have thought about doing this as well :)

Not worried about that...researched it before. gonna build an airbox IN the cowl area...no scoops it will pull air through the grills used originally by the heater. Im more worried about the differential. Ive heard 300 zx diff r stronger but i like usin nitrous on my 3800 and i think its close to 550 wheel trq on the bottle. mabye i should plan on a Jag or 9 inch ford to begin with.

Holy Crap! Guess that answers my question of if i can up my nos setup from 125 to 200 huh? do you know if the rs 200 is the same as the mid 80s 300z car diff? my friend has a parts car i was plannin on takin diff cv axles etc from. I think its a 83-85 300 turbo car if i remember correctly.....

• Administrators
Holy Crap! Guess that answers my question of if i can up my nos setup from 125 to 200 huh? do you know if the rs 200 is the same as the mid 80s 300z car diff? my friend has a parts car i was plannin on takin diff cv axles etc from. I think its a 83-85 300 turbo car if i remember correctly.....

If it hasn’t already been said yet, our search feature is very handy. :2thumbs:

Also, at the top of each sub forum are stickies with the most common info such as diff strength, what cars came with what diffs etc. Our very own JonMortensen spent a great deal of time and energy writing much of the info that will answer your diff questions.

Here is our Drive train section. The stickies will answer your diff questions;

http://forums.hybridz.org/forumdisplay.php?f=62

• Administrators

Looking forward to reading more about your conversion. I have heard some of the Grand Prix GTP cars, street driven, were getting into the mid 12''s!

With a Z cars lighter weight, short wheel base, rear wheel drive and 50-50 weight distribution, 11 second streetable S/C 3800 is totally realsistic! :coollook:

:burnout:

:burnout:

shootin for a 10 sec driver. my 95 series 1 riv went from 16.4 to 13.8 with minor mods/pulley and I have been involved with a intercooled series 2 regal gs i personally saw go 12.0 no nitrous just intercooler/pulley/portedblower and other normal mods. I know lots of 12 and 13 sec gtp guys.... I want to run 10s on a 200 shot and take the car on a road trip to road america (not far from me) to see how i fare against vettes and the like on a twisty closed course track. My local dragstrip has a special street car event 4 times a year called midnight mahem in cordova illinois and i want to beat up some camaros and mustangs with my BUZILLA. Definately a satisfying thought....

If it hasn’t already been said yet, our search feature is very handy. :2thumbs:

Gotcha covered ;)

The v6 shouldnt sound a whole lot different than the L6 until i open the supercharger by then itll be too late... Sneaky sleeper Methinks

If you've been around the supercharged 3800s for a while, I figured you'd know the blower makes quite a bit of noise, even at idle. Well, at least the ones I have been around do.

Have you found the N/A 3800 thread yet? I guess I'll look around a bit

I would also like to see this done and what you are going to do with the S/C plumbing if you decide to go with it.

*edit* searched "3800" and it was about 1/2 of the way down the first page :)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136291&highlight=3800

I used to have the NA 3800 in my 260z 2+2 no one realized it had the v6 until it was to late they all assumed it was a "crappy old datsun"

Holden here make a sc version of the "ecotec" v6. I would of liked to swap that into the z. But i think it would have clearance problems with the bonnet given that the fan off the alternator (on the NA version) chopped through the bonnet lineing and the sc version if alot higher motor.

Which version/year 3800 were you using? Series 1 or 2? What transmission did you have in the car? What PCM did you use to make it work? Im quite interested in swapping 3800 fwd s/c engines into rwd small imports. Thanks for the reply any info would be appreciated!

Hi

i used the 93 commodore motor witch i believe is the series 2 with the top radiator hose at the front of the motor, was running the turbo 700 gearbox, standard ecu which was pretty easy to install are you guys interested in pics?? i don't have many tho

Sweet pic of a GNZ!!! Hopefully I will be the first with a Series 2 supercharged. Ive made 400 hp from a street oriented GTP while still gettin about 25 mpg. Ran 100 hp nos kit on that car and my buddy was runnin low 13s with 500lbs of stereo in his trunk smokin the front tires well past 60' at close to 3800lbs w driver. The biggest thing with his car was his trap speeds....110 plus. My series 1 riv ran 13.80s at about 100 with a 100 dry shot but it was 4000lbs and had tall gears. Too bad they dont make hot rod series 1 parts or i'd put one in my z. Alas I will have to build my series2 to get up over 400 hp- add a 200 nos shot in A 2500LB Z and things could get hairy! Im sure these engines make 500-600lbs of torque on the spray so this thing may be the best sleeper ive ever had! Ill keep yas posted!