HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

Looks great, where did you get the brake lines and clamps for the brake lines -looks very clean.

Lines: http://www.newoldstockmotorsports.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=1&class_1=1&my_type_id=1&class_2=4

Clamps were blasted and nickel plated... restored.

Here's an update: The car will be going to National Speed in Wilmington to be final tuned. It will be transported without the hood, fenders, or interior, so nothing can get hurt along the way. The dash is in though.

The brake system is now fully run. This is the proportioning valve that will come up in the center console. I'll make it look "period correct" later.

jared074.jpg

As much as possible has been hidden...

jared073.jpg

A custom bracket was made to hide the AEM standalone tight under the dash.

jared077.jpg

jared080.jpg

And all the wiring is now ready for the engine.

jared082.jpg

jared083.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your mentioned that the full-race manifold was having complications with the steering shaft, can you tell me more about this issue? How low is the engine mounted? Is it barely in the way or is the steering shaft trying to go through the manifold?

This concerns me because I am looking at doing an SR20 in my early '74 260z and I especially wanted to do a T4 twinscroll setup with the full race manifold. The reason I ask about the engines mounting depth is because the mounting brackets offered by mckinney motorsports doesn't seem to drop down as far as yours does. Maybe, possibly, their motor mount would clear up the issue.

Also, I think I will be using either the S13 or the S14 engine for cost reasons as opposed to the S15. The S13 most likely because I'm not sure I want to deal with the variable timing. How much can you tell me about your experiance with the S15 engine and its variable timing? How hard is the cam variability to tune with the large turbo? Does it make a big difference in drivability?

Those brake line fasteners and bolts, etc. are they all NOS or...? I'd like to know where to get them because all the hardware in my engine bay got coated in rubberized goo when the P.O. sprayed the engine bay with it. Looks like crap

Brake line fasteners and bolts, if I know what you're asking about, actually are the originals that have been restored. If I'm not answering your question and you're sure of it, give me another stab at understanding which parts you are talking about.

Your mentioned that the full-race manifold was having complications with the steering shaft, can you tell me more about this issue? How low is the engine mounted? Is it barely in the way or is the steering shaft trying to go through the manifold?

This concerns me because I am looking at doing an SR20 in my early '74 260z and I especially wanted to do a T4 twinscroll setup with the full race manifold. The reason I ask about the engines mounting depth is because the mounting brackets offered by mckinney motorsports doesn't seem to drop down as far as yours does. Maybe, possibly, their motor mount would clear up the issue.

Also, I think I will be using either the S13 or the S14 engine for cost reasons as opposed to the S15. The S13 most likely because I'm not sure I want to deal with the variable timing. How much can you tell me about your experiance with the S15 engine and its variable timing? How hard is the cam variability to tune with the large turbo? Does it make a big difference in drivability?

I'm just going to show you some pics. You can see how low the engine is by the hood latch. The first three pics are just of the manifold that I can't use. It's so gorgeous. As for the S15, I'm still not running yet so I can't help you. However, the speed shop that built the engine didn't complain about it at all. Oh, and in the pics, I still have the old freeze plugs in and the old crank pulley. Both have since been remedied.

Be sure to see that not only is the turbo putting the piping into the tower, but the bypass into where the steering shaft would be. Any thoughts? Is everyone else seeing this like we did?

image002.jpg

image004.jpg

image006.jpg

IMG_0122-1.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

The S13 most likely because I'm not sure I want to deal with the variable timing. How much can you tell me about your experiance with the S15 engine and its variable timing? How hard is the cam variability to tune with the large turbo? Does it make a big difference in drivability?

Sorry to thread jack but if you replace the cam in a SR20 with an aftermarket cam from tomei, hks, greddy, etc then the variable timing won't work anymore.

Awesome car btw and can't wait too see some video of this thing on the dyno.

I had a Full Race exhaust manifold, but it got in the way of the steering shaft. National Speed is making one for it.

IMG_0123-1.jpg

So, is National Speed going to make a custom twin scroll manifold for your setup? If so, do you think they would be willing to build a second one?

I hope this isn't thread jacking, it's just I've been looking into this setup for a long time and this is the first good lead I have come across. I am also shooting for around 400-450hp with little or no lag and really good top end power.

What turbo are you using? looks like a garrett GT3076. I was actually wanting to run the T4 manifold with dual wastegates and use a borg warner s300sx 83-71 turbo. From what I've gathered from the guys at full race, the overall lag between a twinscroll T3 and a twinscroll T4 is negligable. However, there is apparantly a great deal of gain in performance to use the T4 frame. From what they say, they have had a lot of customers go with the T4 borg warner and have never been dissatisfied.

Just what I've come across. Anything you have heard on the matter?

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys. I have an update. We have the driveshaft in so we set it down and hung the doors. It goes to National Speed in Wilmington today to be dyno tuned and to have the exhaust manifold made at Momentum. When I saw these photos, I about cried. It's been so long, but I'm really loving how she's looking. I hope you enjoy...

jared085.jpg

jared086.jpg

jared087.jpg

jared088.jpg

jared089.jpg

jared090.jpg

jared091.jpg

jared092.jpg

jared093.jpg

jared094.jpg

jared095.jpg

jared096.jpg