HybridZ

Youngins: How'd you end up with a Z?

LowCarbZ

Hey after looking at it, this one if from Motor Trend, not hot rod, and when I grabbed it from all my other articles I accidentally left the last page at home, but here is this one, MIGHT be the same one you were referring to. :) Motor Trend also compared the new 370z to the 2010 mustang... the Z is better on almost all levels again. Hehehe I can scan that article to if anyone wants to see.

I am pretty sure I have seen the 240Z/28 Hot Rod article that

was mentioned, and I think it was a 350 into a 240Z conversion article, not a comparison of the two. (At least, I know I saw a 70s Hot Rod Magazine with an article of a similar title. A buddy of mine had about 1500+ 70's Hot Rodding mags and fished about four or five out for me because they were about Z cars.)

However, I rather enjoyed the article you posted, more than I did the V8 conversions! Do you also have the first page (with the rest of the "Opener" shot of the 240Z in it?) and if so could you post that with the last page when you do? Thanks!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thatguknow

I just turned 24 this month and I have owned two 300z's. My pops bought an old beater of a 280zx when I was about 15. I wanted it so bad even though it was and auto. He ended up getting rid of it, probably for the better. I was 17 when I bought my first Z. She was an 85 turbo 5spd that I picked up for $2000. I had so much fun with her. Got caught going 155 in a 65 and then ended up getting the charges dropped because the officer failed to appear in court. I got lucky that time. But as luck would have it I was driving her one day and hit some loose gravel in the middle of a turn. I slide about 20 ft and smacked the nose into a nice 1 1/2 foot tall curb. Needless to say the frame was shot and the engine got a nice crack in it. I then purchased the Z that I currently own from a friend. I have had little time to do much since I got her. It's an 84 N/A 5spd with tokicko shocks and springs, polly bushings, and "modified" cat. Not as fast as the turbo but still fun as hell. I am back from a deployment in Iraq. And after 15 months I now have some free time and the very necessary funds that is needed for a Z. Soon to have an RB25det to put in her. I have always loved sports cars and Z are just so addictive. I am not sure who originaly said it, but : Once you get inside of a Z, the Z gets inside of you.

Do you also have the first page (with the rest of the "Opener" shot of the 240Z in it?) and if so could you post that with the last page when you do? Thanks!

Im not sure which first page you are talking about, the first page is there, ummm I've got 2 copies of the whole magazine at home, so I'll post what I can, but I dont understand what you are asking for the first one.

and I'll find the 370z vs 2010 Stang and post it tomorrow :) that ones in color! Hehe

Im 20, got the Z when i was 18 to do a father son bonding project, we tore down the Z and restored the mechanics. Didnt know much about them when we purchased it, but began to read up on the history and once we started working on it, i fell in love with the Z. I hate to admit it, but one of the three main reasons i ever go home for school breaks is so that i can drive the Z

Build thread link is in my sig if anyone is interested

The kiddos figgered it out. The old man's Z is better than their Hondas, Toyo's, and Subies... and W-W-A-A-Y-Y cooler!!

Spawned by the "How old are we" thread.

How'd so many young 20 somethings end up with cars 10+ years older than them? Post your age and your reasons for your Datsun purchase.

At 24 for me the Datsun has just always been that realisitic dream car. I've always been the definition of a "car guy". I can tell you what car is behind me at night based on the headlights and what's approaching based on taillights. I've always worked on my own vehicles and when I was a kid as soon as I could walk I never left the house without a hot wheels car clenched tightly in each fist.

Combine that with the stories my parents used to tell me about the 240Z they owned way back when. Dad was always avid about how well it handled and few cars he'd driven compared.

I've always fawned over such vintage cars as the 68-69 Camaro of course the 66 Cobra, Chevelles, a Sunbeam Tiger is high on the list, maybe even a 70 Monte Carlo with the 454. But few cars ever seemed realistic due to the price point and the cost of putting fuel through them alone would bankrupt you.

So recently I found myself wanting to stray away from the lifted Jeeps for toys. I've owned and modified a few of them. Having raced motocross for over a decade I desperately wanted to pick up a crotch rocket (the Honda RC51 in particular *drool*).

But being that I didn't want to be selfish (or dead) I opted to pick up a sports/fun car so the girlfriend (who I own a house with) and I could take off on weekends together. The search criteria was pretty simple. It had to be 2dr, manual, RWD and not unrealistic on fuel. So this killed the muscle car idea. In my search I looked at newer 240SX's all of which were rotted or had the crap driven out of them along with many other cars. I then tried to hunt down a Datsun. And lucky me the timing was right and I came across the one I bought.

Now a good friend of mine is shopping for a street bike again for spring and there's a good deal on a RC51 for me. I'm really biting my tongue to keep from buying it hahaha. :)

Im 17. got a early 260z Exactly double my age

1) I wanted a car I could work on myself (FI scares the hell out of me)

2) Wanted something with a fastback/classic look. Not some modern cookie cutter

3) Manual trans.

4)affordable. Insurance is an extra $18 a year haha.

im 19...i had my first z (1982 280zx) when i was 15....then sold it(to much luxury junk and to heavy)...looked around and found me a 1972 240z a while ago...in between ive owned 8 z's but these 2 are the ones i kept and drove...ive always been partial to all the old japanese sports cars...light, fast, easy to work on...i just love nissan/datsun...that and i like dumping money(that i really dont have to spend) on old rusty cars...: )

I'm 22, and have been wanting a Z since I was 15 or 16. Pretty much when I first got interested in cars as something more than a method of transportation I was first interested in an old mustang, and then S30 chassis Z's. Thanks to parents VERY not supporting of my automotive interests I didn't really get into cars until three years ago when I got my first project cars. I moved into the nissan family a little over a year ago when I got my 240sx drift car and promptly started modding it and eventually dropped a RB25 into it before selling. This hooked me on the RB engines and got me interested in the idea of working over my early love, the Z, with another 25. The right RB came along a little over a month ago and I snagged it and started looking for a chassis. That came last weekend when I scored my '71. Now I just need to get busy restoring it!

Im not sure which first page you are talking about,

I am talking about the first page that wholly failed to display for me last night before I rebooted and then magically appeared just now after I went back to confirm that you only posted four pages. I was wrong; you posted the whole thing, but Firefox on my machine has been playing stupid games with the cache, and not always loading every last image on a page, and I haven't figured out how to get my machine running properly. I think I need to do a fresh install of windows etc.

NOW.. off to read that first page I didn't get to see last night. :rolleyesg

my dad got a Z31 when I was about 14, mom a z32 a year or so later. My cousin had a 280zxt for a little while. Played with all of those cars quite a bit. my cousin sold his. My Mom and Dad still had thiers. I put the word out to the family that I was looking for a Z, ANY Z!

A couple of months later my Uncle called and I flew up to wellington, took a look and drove home my new 280zx! Triples and alot work already done on but I is still stripping it.

Im 19 and have owned my Z since sep 2006. always loved old cars especially camaros. once my dad and i went "1/2" on a 68 camaro and the project didnt go the direction i wanted it to go i got my money back that i had thrown in. found the s30 from just going to carshows and what not (honestly dont remember the first time i saw one). i loved it! It was old, sporty, and very appealing to the eyes. looked at a few till i found my 72 in san diego. and ive loved them since. it really worked out well because they arnt overly priced, truely a classic, no smog, and easy to work on! i hate all the wires and connectors and sensors of new cars. it was a great choice for me. now if only the thing was street worthy...

Actually I didn't want the Z at first. It was my fathers car and the way he is with things I felt the car would never really be mine. I wanted a Volkswagen beattle instead because it was rearwheel drive, dirt cheap, and plentiful. Fortunatley for me my father hated this idea.

The Z was side swipped while he was driving home one day. So my dad got another car and it sat in the garage. He told me if I fixed it, I could have it. So at 14 I started working on it everyday. Little did I know this would start a trend in my life. I finally got it running the day the twin towers came tumbling down. I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Such sadness, confusion and excitement all in the same day. Once she ran though, I was hooked, until she broke.

It's very much been a love hate relationship between us. Now she sits on stands at my parents house again, waiting for the turbo I just bought and some frame rails and a little wiring.

My uncle in Seattle area bought a '72 240Z in 1987 and I happened to be visiting at the time and rode with him back the house. I wanted to buy it from him, but he had just bought it and didn't want to sell it of course. He had a LOT of cars and the Z ended up sitting in his barn for 20 years. I asked about it all the time but he would never sell it to me. He died last year, and had 85 cars, parts and engines and transmissions laying around for all of them, and his sons had to deal with selling everything. So I said hey guys, I want the Z, and they let me buy it finally. Only 87,000 miles and ran when parked.

I've had it now a year, and have been driving it regularly and upgrading things as I go. I've got 4 wheel disc brakes now, honda wiper motor, 15 inch swastika wheels and new tires, eibachs and kybs, with a turbo conversion and LSD w/300ZX CV's planned (already have the engine and diff/axles). Overhauled the carbs, put a pertronix in, did the door seals and trunk seal, but still getting fumes, going to be swapping in the 5 speed soon hopefully.

Its LOTS of fun, but I need to paint my 1969 Volvo 1800S and get it back on the road before I can really get into the Z too much. I'm 36 now and have loved Z's since I was younger.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

i am 19 and i bought my first z at 16 it was a 79 2+2 and 5-speed. "400 dollars". i didnt get my liscence till i was 18 so i compleately went thru the car and tought myself bodywork and a little about fuel injection she was pretty when i was done but i let a friend borrow her and he got her impounded in less than an hour of driving her and i had just quit my job so bye bye melma.:cry2:

:wink: hello freya my s30 260 56000 original miles. "300 dollars". broken timing chain bye bye l26 hello 318 (i knew there was a reason i didnt scrap that van) so as soon as i get a day off work and a cherry picker ill do the swap (or start any way).

"learning never to trust anyone .......priceless"

Naaaa..there are many you can trust. Just dont be naive and use your noggin!

Just a quick little detour along those lines... Friend of mine in high school gets his drivers lisence, takes mom's brand new car to school the very next day. In order to impress a girl, he lets her drive "his" car to lunch. No sooner did she leave the school parking lot when she wraps it around a stoplight pole, tearing the pole out of the ground and flipping the car on its top. Apparently camry solaras cant handle city block turns at 60... And she didn't even have her temps yet! Many lessons to be learned there...

:hijack:

Now back to our regular programming....

Well I am 22 and have been around cars all the time growing up. My dad was always buying and selling cars to make some extra income. I started high school and started shop and it just grew from there. The more I learned about fuel injection and how a car works the more intrigued I became. (I don't know anything about carbs, another great reason I bought my Z) I graduated high school with intentions of becoming a Porsche Tech but decided against working on cars as a living. My father and I looked around for a project car when I was 16-18 and never really found anything that was reasonable. I feel in love with Zs I would say about a year before I joined hybridz.org (in 06) after seeing the infamous Z doing a burnout at 60. After a little over 2 years of serious looking I bought my Z with a bunch of extra parts so my father and I could start a real father soon project. My father and I didn't really hang out a lot when I was a kid/teenage years due to work and lots of other things, so I kinda bought the car so I can hang out with my dad and really get to know him and put together a car I loved. This is my 2nd datsun, my first was a lowered datsun 521 truck that was ratted out but ran pretty good. Ended up blowing a head gasket at a bad time and had to sell it.