HybridZ

Why the bad rep on the CA18?

AkumaNoZeta

Your perception about large engines getting better gas mileage is inaccurate. Car companies regularly increase the displacement of a current engine to increase fuel economy. For example, the BMW M3 had a 3.0L I6 until '95, I believe, and got bumped up to 3.2L to increase fuel economy and emissions.

There are plenty of hybrid Z's with LSx series engines making well over 300HP and getting 28-30mpg. The little engines are having to rap themselves out so much that they start chugging the fuel, so they can actually end up getting worse mileage than the big V8's

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want a rotary, i'll sell you the whole shebang - mount kit, trans crossmember, front plate, 13b-re motor, turbo 2 tranny, new act clutch, 12lb flywheel, hks bov, tial 46mm waste gate, exhaust manifold, microtech ecu, everything fabricated to go into a Z. whole set :) you just have to put finishing touches on it. literally, everything :) but you have to buy the whole thing.

if you want a rotary, i'll sell you the whole shebang - mount kit, trans crossmember, front plate, 13b-re motor, microtech ecu, everything fabricated to go into a Z. whole set :) you just have to put finishing touches on it.

Wait, are you serious?....curse you for throwing a wrench into my V8 plans...

And you're ninja edit is no match for me ;)

yeah, i'm 60-70% serious, but only if someone offers me a nice deal on everything, and I have a LOT of crap to have a complete solid build. obviously, i didn't include everything, and forgot to mention t04s turbo that's set up for mid-range power (.7 a/r cold, .84 a/r hot, p-trim, split housing). Not to mention custom fabbed front crossmember and mount, front housing for the engine, relocated oil pickup and pan.

I just want to get an LS1/t56 to have the damn thing running already. if you're really interested, I'll draw up a list of everything I have for the car, and condition (new or used) it's in.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only skim read the 3 pages of ramble.

But what i do know is that a good friend of mine has just rebuilt a CA18DET.

These engines came with two types of cyl heads. The head with only one inlet port per cyl flows heaps better than the head with 2 smaller inlet ports per cyl.

He had the duel inlet port head on the first build and stock cams. It made 160hp at the wheels on 16psi.

He has now rebuilt the engine with the single port head (very minor porting job) and has fitted mild 260 deg duration Cams.

Nothing else changed on the build, apart from billet rods and Forged pistons (but they dont make HP)

It now makes 160hp at the wheels on only 4 psi, and has just been back on the dyno today at 10 psi and made 276hp at the wheels. With a pretty safe tune (it can have some fuel taken out of it and some more advance added) it should easily go over 300hp at the wheels then.

It runs a cheap Chinese SS low mount manifold with a garrett GT series turbo (cant remember the actual model) and bigger injectors etc.

This engine is in a Datsun 1200 coupe, so a nice light car - And apparantly goes VERY well. He reckons it is scary. I should be getting a ride in the next few weeks.

Just thought i would share.

Could the dual unlet port head be ported to take away the wall between the ports to make it one big port?

Even if this was possible, you wouldnt want to do it, you would totally loose velocity and it probably wouldnt produce power below 13,000rpm

A stock A12 engine would probably make more power :wink:

Go have a read of the Sticky Thread by Matt Hutchens about building a RB26, he talks about porting the RB26 head, I guess this would loosely apply to a CA18DE as well. He says DO NOT increase the size of the port, just clean it up etc and remove any lips and imperfections from the casting and original machining. Its interesting.

To origonal poster:

You say you know a thing or two about torque, but I beg to differ.

Take a ride in a 400+ Wheel HP supercharged 5.0 then come and talk. That car will rev it's nuts off and beg for more. It's scary how fast you get to 7k on one of those engines, which isn't necessary good for it.

I know what you mean though about high rev engines being fun, but for me the fun factor with RPM is more about rev SPEED, not just the number on the tach. I want my engine to TELL me how hard I'm pushing it and to feel the RPM change. I also want it to let me know how silly it finds the early gears. The stock 250ish HP 93' cobra could take off in 3rd from a light and you'd sit there and wonder "why haven't I shifted yet" and then realize that you're in 3rd... I did that a couple of times. Woops.

Torque is insanely fun. High RPMs are insanely fun. Finding the balance of both in your engine is key to me. I personally don't want a big block that makes peak power at 5000, but I also don't want an engine that revs to 10,000 ans sacrifices the "scary fast" feeling. The right high rev engine combo can work though, but it's application specific. I'm sure in a F1 their "low torque" feels like a truck load due to the low weight and gearing. In a honda 150 pounds of torque feels like a truck load. In a mustang that feels like nothing. You need at least 350 pounds of torque imo to get a mustang to start feeling sporty.

In a Z you can weigh anywhere from 2200-2800 depending on a lot. That's quite a platform which might require vastly different power and torque requirements for what you're looking for.

All that said. I find the CA18DET to be a neat motor and would love to tinker with one. If you go that route though look into what it will take to be making at least 300 pounds of torque, as that's what I think these cars deserve to have a bit of fun in. The SR is way over rated by a lot of people, and the KA is really just for the people that want moving power in a turbo 4 cylinder. The KA is a great platform, but they really have their nitch for just slapping on a turbo can beating the hell out of them. I'd love to see more people build them for high RPM though because from what I've seen they're not bad for how high displacement they are.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I cant seem to find any connecting rods for the CA. I can find pistons easily though. Is this because it already has forged steel rods that are really strong or for its lack of popularity? Can the stock rods handle 20 psi?

cheers mate

You find lots of ideas regarding a high power ca18det in my signature link.

Will a 5 speed from S12 fit onto a KA? A guy I know has a S12 with a grenaded CA (unsure of which one :P) with a 5 speed.

yes it will, do a search. you will have to modify a 4-speed B transmission bell housing as if you were going to use the 240sx 5-speed. Then follow the directions on this page http://home.comcast.net/~zheimsothtn/transmission.htm for the assembly, just replace the use of a 240sx transmission with s12 5-speed. And bolt it right in, on a positive side you can use 240sx internals in a s12 5-speed, and you DONT have to cut your driveshaft.