HybridZ

Oil accumulator???

slyhog22056

Since i will only be driving the 500Z 1 or 2 days a week would it be possible to put a oil accumulator inside the cabin to eliminate dry startup?

My dad used to have them on his race cars but i am not sure where to hook it up on the 302. Would it go in at the oil pressure gage hole on the block?? does this go direct to the crank bearings??.. Not sure, that is why i am asking coaches....

Any thoughts about Z-max instead?????

I really don't think it's necessary. 1-2 times a week is not a problem. Just let the car idle and warm up for a minute or two before driving. aren't accumulators usually used for race cars so while cornering hard, you don't uncover your oil pickup and run dry. I guess it would work for dry startup, but honestly, don't think it's worth it. They do make plates that fit between the oil filter and block with outlets for an oil cooler that would probably work for you. seriously though. save your money unless this is a track car, then get a better oil pan.

Well i talked to a few racing friends of mine and they suggested putting a 7 or 15 psi N.O. pressure switch through a relay to the ignition system, that way it doesnt fire ignition until it reaches 7 or 15 psi. That will also cut off the ignition in case oil pressure drops beloe that point for some reason. Simple and easy. and i will have to let it run for a while before i can drive it... no choke....

I will be running for insurance. Think of the accumulator as insurance in a can. I have a 3qt one made by accusump. Since I plan on running 50w oil and a oil heater. I will heat the oil 1st then use the accumulator to prime the oil system and then fire up the engine. We will also use it in case the oil is sloshing about to keep oil pressure through out the system.

Note: I do have to battle water / alky in my oil, but again to me it is cheap insurance...... Mine will be tapped in the oil passage next to the oil filter on a SBC. You can go to canton or moroso and look at installation instructions.

John

You should NEVER have an automatic ignition kill switch on your road driven car. Imagine full throttle tracking out of a fast sweeper, 100+MPH 1.3Gs teeth clenching corner exit.... and suddenly you loose power, the car spins off track and rolls 20 times while shedding its bits over half a mile. Oil pressure shut down is for heavy equipment, boats, and dragsters.

As far as the Accusump is concerned, the added complexity can cause big problems for the average user. If you are racing then you may very well need one every few minutes on a closed circuit race course.

I have the EPC valve operated 3qt unit installed on my race car. There are a few things you need to consider when plumbing one of these things into your car.

1. The accusump accumulator is only a small part of the system $$$.

2. trying to oversimplify or cut $$$/corners will only reduce the reliability of your car, not save it from oil starvation.

The EPC valve is the most effective configuration. It will accumulate peak engine oil pressure and hold it until pressure drops below activation pressure. The other configurations are much less effective and rarely manage to provide full accumulator volume.

• 2 weeks later...