HybridZ

Lowrider's 260z

I finally got around to making a video of the car. Its been running pretty good! The power is definetly night and day, but im sure ive said that more than a few times already. I dont thinl my fuel pump likes the higher strain that the FMU is putting on it too much, its decided to get a little louder all on its own. I guess a new fuel pump will be in the cars future before long. I averaged up my mpg this week, and staying out of boost i get 24mpg highway. Overall im happy with the setup so far!

Video time!

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up searching on here about loud fuel pumps. Found a thread that mentioned a walbro 225 screaming its guts off and restricting fuel. The solution to the thread was to run a pusher pump to the efi pump. I gave it a try, only i ran two efi pumps in series. It solved my volume problem, along with quieting the pump down. Two birds with one stone!!

I made a relay up to trick my ecu into delivering extra fuel under boost. I utilized a hobbs switch, a relay, a potientometer, and a crazy idea! The hobbs switch activated the realy, the relay in turn switches the resistance from reading off of head temp sensor, to reading the potientometer(which is adjusted to fool the ecu into thinking the motor is cold). The idea came to me like one of those windows 7 comercials! The circuit works amazingly!

I have some more pictures of the engine bay pretty much buttoned up:

Photo0742.jpg

Photo0741.jpg

Photo0740.jpg

some of the car:

Photo0744.jpg

Photo0745.jpg

Photo0750.jpg

Photo0749.jpg

Photo0748.jpg

is your intercooler hot piping running under the engine??

indeed it is! I copied the idea from a member here named ktm. It allowed me to keep the mechanical fan, along with cooling the hot pipe a little bit because of air exposure from under the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally decided to tackle what little rust was in the car. I only had a few place in the floor pans that needed replacing. I did'nt think it warrented replacing the entire floor pans, so i made patches to put in. I think that the patch venture went well. I cut out the cancer with an air saw, and formed some patches out of some spare metal around the shop. I sprayed rust converter on all the surface rust, tack welded around all the patches, then went underneath seam sealed, undercoated the new patches, then painted the inside with some black enamel to seal them up.

Pictures!

Photo0753.jpg

Photo0754.jpg

Photo0755.jpg

Photo0756.jpg

Photo0757.jpg

Photo0760.jpg

Photo0761.jpg

Photo0764-1.jpg

Photo0766-1.jpg

Photo0767-1.jpg

Photo0768.jpg

Photo0770-1.jpg

Photo0771-1.jpg

Photo0763.jpg

Edited by lowrider

I swear if I have to remove the diff in this car one more time, I'm going to go crazy!!!

It all started when I smelled something burning when I would slow down after some boost runs. Checked oil, all was well. Put the car on the lift and it was obvious that the rearend was some how leaking gear oil on the exhaust. I got out the handy dandy flash light to find that my rear cover gasket was pushed out on the drivers side of the diff allowing it to drip down and leak. UGH!!!

This makes the 3rd time that i have taken the diff out and put it back in!

After i got it out, the root of the problem was the vent somehow got clogged and built up presure inside the diff forcing the gasket out so the air could escape.

Pulled the vent out, and put the vent from the R180 in the cover, reinstalled, and called it a night.

The whole up side to the ordeal was that the diff was a piece of cake to remove with the RT mount!

My 3" exhaust sitting outside the shop

Photo0776.jpg

Ron Tyler mount goodness!

Photo0778.jpg

Out and ready for the rear cover

Photo0779.jpg

Rear cover with new vent

Photo0780.jpg

• 2 months later...

I havent updated the thread in a long time! I've mainly been just driving the car, Bosst got bumped up from 7 to 12 pounds. just little stuff just piddling around.

The plan is to install some CRX seats soon, but working 50 hours a week has kinda put a slow on that project.

Edited by lowrider

so your running all of this turbo shenanigans on the ZX N/A ECU? Thats good news for me lol

Lol, yupp! It works like a champ as well, 12 psi no prob!

Im using 265 sohc ka injectors, I tweeked the afm wheel so It doesnt run rich when im cruzing around. Then use an FMU for extra fuel on boost!

Pretty straight forward. lol

12 psi killed it! I broke two ringlands on the number one piston. I discovered the problem after an on boost run. I noticed a ton of smoke coming from the valve cover breather. Did a compression test and found that cylinder 1 was 70 psi while the others were 105-110. The plan is to get another piston and rings, and stab another piston in. I do plan on building a forged internal turbo motor, just not right now!

Photo025.jpg

Taken apart!

Photo022.jpg

Photo023.jpg

Photo024.jpg

intercooler is missing!

Photo039.jpg

This was after draining my intercooler...

Photo040.jpg

carnage

Photo043.jpg

carnage yet again

Photo026.jpg

Photo027.jpg

Photo028.jpg

Photo029.jpg

Photo030.jpg

Photo031.jpg

does 105 110 psi not seem like very low compression to start with? my 8.5:1 1jz was 170-180 psi (dry test). For all the effort of pulling the engine apart, maybe gap and install new rings all round? Im no expert on L series at all, what are normal compression numbers?

does 105 110 psi not seem like very low compression to start with? my 8.5:1 1jz was 170-180 psi (dry test). For all the effort of pulling the engine apart, maybe gap and install new rings all round? Im no expert on L series at all, what are normal compression numbers?

I wanna say around 160-170.

Im not too concerned. I know this motor is nowhere near new and I dont expect it to have 170psi of compression. The thing that really matters is if the numbers are as close across the board as possible. But yes, there is a good chance im prob going to rering the entire motor while im at it.

• 1 month later...

The car has undergone a few changes the past 2 weeks. Since the piston incident I have been researching Megasquirt. Last 2 weeks ago I finally bit the bullet and bought MSII extra, a relay board, a wiring harness, and all the other assorted bits. I got the goods last Friday, started wiring Friday night, collected the various missing sensors and materials to finish up Saturday, and had it finished and running Sunday! I’ve gotten the current map pretty close to where I want it! I LOVE MEGASQUIRT!

So, today the pops and I went to the junk yard in search of some doors for my uncle’s 50 caddy. This yard was like heaven! 80 acres of nothing but old cars! Who would have though among the sea of old Chevys, Fords, and Dodges there would be any Datsuns? Surprisingly there were 2 280zxs’, a 280zx 2+2, a 280z 2+2, and an interesting roadster. I had my fingers crossed that among the 3 280zxs’ one would be a turbo but no such luck. However I did find a Webber big throat throttle body that belonged to one 280zx. Needless to say, I grabbed that for a meager price! On my way to the z cars that were in a pine thicket I stumbled across a roadster that had an interesting motor in the engine bay. The Datsun had a SOHC ka!

Anyways, on to the pictures of today’s venture. Pictures of the megasquirt later!

Photo081.jpg

Photo080.jpg

Photo083.jpg

Photo079.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update project wise. I still need to get some pictures of the megasquirt. Im holding of on installing the webber throttle body untill i can jew the pops of a non-webbed non-egr n42 manifold from one of the 280zs' we have around the shop. The plan is to smooth everything out and port the runners along with opening the throttle body opening for the webber.

Well, I went to "The Dragon" Friday evening after class with a few of my buddies. My one friend brought his camera along, so we set up the tripod in the hatch of the z and shot some HD footage on the glorious road. I had a nice ride up to the cross roads of time. Then on the way back, just passed the Tennessee border I started hearing what sounded like rod knock... We pulled over imediately. Finally pin pointed the sound, turned out to be the water pump belt, It had eaten 4 of the teeth off. decided to limp it through and try to make it to the bottom of the mountain. All was going well untill after the overlook. Keep in mind this is at around 8:30 at night, The belt finaly gave. I pulled over, and removed what was left of the mangled v-belt. I had my friend luke lead, while i coasted the rest of the way down the mountain. We all loaded up in his Mustang and made a parts run to Maryville to get a new belt so i could get home. Luckily the Autozone stayed open till 10! When back and within 5 mins we were good to go! During this whole process my friend with the camera, Kody, documented. lol

At the overlook:

dragonadventure1.jpg

Elbow deep:

dragonadventure4.jpg

dragonadventure3.jpg

At the bottom of the mountain:

dragonadventure2.jpg