HybridZ

I have a wiring solution ...However,...

....I'[m still concerned about getting my rings to seal, now that they have been washed down with gas...TWICE. What are my optionjs here in getting this thing to quit smoking? I'm hearing all kinds of things, but what really works, short of pulling the pistons and re-ringing them... It is gonna kill me to do this...

Solution for the starter is the ground issue Pete mentioned earlier. CHecked it and got a voltage reading of the wiring and it is definitely the issue. Car needs better ground. OK...that is fixable cheap and easy...

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest RON JONES

Unfortunately that may be your only fix.I,ve got a call in to my buddy(why are engine builders so hard to get a hold of?),just to run it by him.He is an expert and will know what your real options are.But if I remember correctly once they get a good wash down,they need to be replaced.But don,t hold me to that,I could be wrong,and lets hope I am.I think he went to the dyno today,he,ll call me back(eventuaitly).

Guest RON JONES

I just got done talking to my buddy.He said the problem is after a wash down,after your done cleaning out evreything,you need to squirt a little oil in the cylinders.If you don,t squirt a little oil in there,as soon as you fire it up your cylinder walls glaze over due to no lubrication.Then thats the end of your ring to cylinder wall seat. Replaceing the rings and a hone is your fix.Try the comet,it might work.What do you have to loose.I have heard this trick,but don,t know if its for real................ Asked my buddy about the comet.He has heard of it working,but its good trick for a motor thats is old or if your not concerned about the comet geting on your valve stems and posably doing a number on your guides.Its A quick fix,but maybe not in your best intrest.

[This message has been edited by RON JONES (edited April 14, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Mike, I know this sounds really low tech, but It WILL!! work. This fix comes from a pit crew buddy who used to work for Eddie Hill. He said set your idle to around 2000 rpm and slowly sift comet into the carb. I know it sounds screwy, but it is worth a try before you re-ring. it should only take a few tablespoons. He said it would make a believer out of you. Sounds kinda funny, but I can see where it would work like a fine lapping compound. Let me know if you try it. Tony

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

I contacted three engine builders, all who know my build and all who want to build me a motor... All three said that since I have Molly rings, and since the motor is new, it will probably be OK. Motor will take about 1000-1500 miles to seal up, but the contaminants will eventually purge from the system. All three told me they have had motors take up to 4000 miles to quit smoking, but as long as compression is good and leakdown numbers are good, DON'T tear down the motor because of a little smoke. And Ron, You are right about the Comet.. ASked two of them this AM and they both said that it was a bad idea beacuse of what it does to the valve train, and roller valve trains in particular. I'm gonna Re-break the motor in and see if it clears up. If the motor does have to be reringed, I'm gonna get it internally balanced while it is out. Maybe even go with a forged crank.

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Oh well,, sorry for the bad idea, just passin on info. Hope you get it cleared up Mike

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

Takman,

Both engine builders said that that was a good idea for a short term fix, but all of those busch and grand national motors get torn down after a weekend, so it won't hurt them. Both builders said that if it was a junkyard motor and I wanted to get 15-20K miles out of it then go the comet route, but with aluminum heads and high end parts, it might not do as much good as bad.

Also, there is no such thing as a bad idea here man! Thanks for the help!

Mike

------------------

mjk

I think my smokey motor issue as been resolved... FYI for anyone building a motor, I strongly suggest two things: Use high quality rings (I used C&A Zgap rings) and if you suspect that the motor has been flooded, smell the dipstick. If you detect a hint of gas...Change the oil, filter and try toflush the engine. I also pulled the plugs and ran compressed air in each cylinder twice. Now, after all that, you will still get a hint of smoke for a bit, but I was told by several engine builders that Molly rings take longer to break in, up to 4000 miles. As long as leak down and compression numbers are good, don't panic and re-ring the motor. Be patient and do a break-in on the motor. Run it thru the rev range on a nice drive taking it up to around 4000 and back down several times over a 30 minute period. This is what I'm gonna do, and every time I start the car up, there is less of a trace of smoke. After about 1500 miles I'm gonna re-check the situation and go from there, but I'm pretty sure the motor is fine at this point!

Thank god!!!!

Panic attack over...resume your regular programming....

Mike

------------------

mjk