HybridZ

77' Haunted Headlights

datsun40146

I'm having an issue with the headlights on my new 77' 280z. I tracked the issue down to some symptoms. When ever I try to turn on the headlights I get nothing, but all the running lights work. So I took apart the combo and turn signal switches from the steering column and let them hang. I then turned on the lights and lo and behold I have light. As soon as I touch the two switches back together I loose my lights. However if I leave the lights on and put them back together they lights will stay on until I turn off the switch. Then when I try to turn them on again I get nothing. I have tried different sets of switches which made no difference. It seems like a ground problem to me but I can't find the ground that would be causing this very odd problem. I have already checked and replaced the glass fuses just to be sure. My car also has been upgraded to maxifuses in place of fuseible links. The maxi fuses all check out fine. Also it may be unrelated but my turn signals stopped flashing although I still have hazard lights.