HybridZ

Front "frame" rust

My '88 300zx has some serious rust issues along the front "frame" rail near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. It looks like water has been leaking into the engine bay from above the battery tray (it was rusted away as well) and dripping into a vent hole and into the whole support area for the engine bay on that side. Its right where all the fuel and brake lines exit the bay and head to the back of the car. I didn't notice the rust when I bought the car because it was sitting in some grass and had a flat tire on that side. The engine is out of the car, as I was planning a v8 swap.

Is this a common issue with Z31s? Is there some sort of replacement rail I can buy? I've been told to try cleaning up the area and treating it with rust converter and then welding a support sleeve around what's left to reinforce the structure. I'm no body man, but I think that may work.

• 2 weeks later...

Rust is a common problem on the Z31. I haven't heard much on rust being where you described it, but its commonly found on the undercarriage, fender wells, and rear hatch area.

The best thing I would recommend is to sand all the rust down. If you have access to a sandblaster that will make the process much more efficient. Once you've cleaned the surface down to the bare metal, you can spray it with your preferred rust converter or primer base coat paint. Whichever floats your boat best.

• 2 weeks later...

The above post or. Take off wheel so you have a bit more room support engine with a jack underneith or a long Metal bar with a chain around engine. move the brake and fuel lines away from frame take a Grinder wheel with a couple discs. Cut it out completely so it never rust again and take some good thick sheet metal cut a similar have U and tack weld it on or if you have no welder place U piece there and take SHeet metal Bolts and run em through (pilot hole with a drill bit first but smaller of course so sheet metal screws hold) then cover with fiberglass then anti rust then paint then ROCKGUARD!! hehe