HybridZ

Weight comparison

Ford 5.0 is 450 lbs appearently, adding the weight of the T5 (about 75 lbs I think) would be 525 lbs. With iron heads and iron block. All aluminum LS1 with T56 is 508 lbs so I've heard. T56 is around 120 lbs I believe, so put in the 75lbs GM patterned T5 would be around 456 lbs. Add aluminum heads and aluminum block to the 5.0 than it would be around 425 lbs maybe? I was thinking about swapping an LS1 in the Mustang in the future until I started thinking about aluminum bits for the 5.0 and I think an all-aluminum 5.0 would still a lot lighter than an LS1, does this all sound correct including weight figures?

One other note, the GM T5 in stock form isnt very strong. Im going with a Tremec TKO 600, weighs like 105 LBS and its a torque beast.

agreed, this is also something that is constantly being brought up on the third gen camaro forums.

You can have a T5 built to take power but in the end it will trump the cost of a TKO and will only be as strong if not just a bit stronger than the TKO.

i never weighted my t56 but i could pick it up with out to much trouble and im 170lbs. Is your weight figure with the fly wheel, clutch, fluids, and bell housing?

From this forum and others. The trans empty alone weighs 129-138 pounds according to Tremec Spec charts. Everythings else I have read says around 180 pounds.