HybridZ

Is it possible to make my 280zx an AWD car?

Get a front and rear cut GTR. Take a Z body to a chassis builder along with the gtr cuts.

measure the stock locations on the gtr, build a tube frame chassis for the gtr parts then put the Z body on it.

Thats what i plan on doing someday when I'm rich

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Get a front and rear cut GTR. Take a Z body to a chassis builder along with the gtr cuts.

measure the stock locations on the gtr, build a tube frame chassis for the gtr parts then put the Z body on it.

Thats what i plan on doing someday when I'm rich

i would user an older STI driveline, makes mounting things a little easier.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They did rally Z cars you know, in 2wd...

http://www2.zhome.com:81/History/rally.htm

It sounds like all you want to do is build a car to wail on in a field. If that's the case, you could put an LSD in it (or weld the diff) and be just fine.

We used to play with an '86 Cutlass in a friend's field, with a 305 4bbl and an open diff. It moved plenty fast for messing around in a field, trust me. :lol:

You could always take a front wheel drive engine/transmission and turn it 90 degrees. You one drive flange for the front diff, and one drive flange for the rear diff. I wanted to do this with a Caddy Northstar engine, and their 4T80e transmission (very strong).

Justin

Incorrect orientation, dude!

Transverse up front, driving the front wheels.

Transverse in back, driving the rear wheels.

Throttle Cable and Shifter Cable synchronisation is easy as pie after you make the frame cradles. Gives you a bit of power in reserve as well as the ability to put the front engine in L1, and the rear engine in R and do some totally awesome AW zero-clearance burnouts...:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

If i were to attempt this, I would look at entire drivetrain packages. STI, EVO, Gt3000, BMW IX's, Chevy IOP's are all good starters to check out. I think one of the newer v8 chevy motors has an IOP. (integrated Oil Pan) which means the oil pan is the front diff housing as well. I think BMW's IX 3 series cars are the same basic design, but it's been 12 years since I've seen one.

The only other option I see is creating your own IOP for the L series, which I foresee as being an engineering challenge. Off the shelf parts are the way to do this imo.

I was going to say why not just get a Eagle Talon Setup. Take all the driveline stuff and make your mounts. The engine is small the transfercase would prolly all fit in the engine bay you'd just have to prolly make a shifter relocation kit and custom driveshafts lol Your talking lots of money or tons of build time lots of money and friends that are fabricators! lol Just buy a Skyline GTS-T 4

• 2 months later...

My wife has been trying to talk me into a similar project. We have our old Subaru SVX out behind the shop. It still runs, but needs work. We also have an extra 83 280zx rolling chassis out there (used the engine/trans in another car). She wants to transplant the SVX's driveline into the 280. I see a nightmare or long nights ahead if we even start the project, but hey...what the little woman want's she generally gets. LOL

-Chris-

My wife has been trying to talk me into a similar project. We have our old Subaru SVX out behind the shop. It still runs, but needs work. We also have an extra 83 280zx rolling chassis out there (used the engine/trans in another car). She wants to transplant the SVX's driveline into the 280. I see a nightmare or long nights ahead if we even start the project, but hey...what the little woman want's she generally gets. LOL

-Chris-

make a custom frame, so that the subbie's suspension and driveline will bolt in, then modify the s130's body to accept it!

The GTR front cross member will (with a bit of modification:mrgreen:) fit into the front of a 280zx. The engine will sit a fair way forward though. So far forward that you'll need to mount the radiator on the front of the radiator support panel. It does fit though. A lot of messing around getting the right strut, axel combo for the front but the parts are all available and the project is doable. ;)

While where at it ... can i make my zx into a seagoing boat with a pool deck guys ? can i Can i ?

Oh my mistake. I thought this was HybridZ where people on this forum try different things with their zeds instead of sticking to the same combination that everyone else has. I must have pressed the wrong button and gone to the wrong forum where everyone has a clone of each others cars and are too scared to try a new project. (By the way. This isn't a new concept. Its been done before).