HybridZ

Car runs fine then dies

I have a stock 71' that will start fine, idle fine for a while, and if it gets revved up it will idle very high and if it gets driven, the engine dies out after a while but will eventually start back up :willy_nil The guy I bought it from had the wiring all messed up, seems like the only thing electrically that works is the ignition. Whole dash is inoperable at this point. Could the engine be overheating? Bad ignition coil? I changed plugs/wires/cap/magneto hoping it would help, but it didn't. I can't tell if it's electrical or fuel... I really don't know. Thanks to anyone that can help.

I have a stock 71' that will start fine, idle fine for a while, and if it gets revved up it will idle very high and if it gets driven, the engine dies out after a while but will eventually start back up :willy_nil The guy I bought it from had the wiring all messed up, seems like the only thing electrically that works is the ignition. Whole dash is inoperable at this point. Could the engine be overheating? Bad ignition coil? I changed plugs/wires/cap/magneto hoping it would help, but it didn't. I can't tell if it's electrical or fuel... I really don't know. Thanks to anyone that can help.

If youve touched everything but the coil, Im saying its the coil, sounds like the charge is fluxuating, friend of mine had a similar problem in her little Holden Barina, it would just die out, random idle speeds, changed the coil and its run better then its ever been, I can see why people change to Crane/Pure Electrical ignition systems.

If it was overheating, I cant see how that would affect the electrical system as far as teh dash is concerned, you would know about it, my daily driver did that a while ago and conked out fullstop, didnt start up again, had to change the entire cooling system in the car, radiator, pumps, was rather painful, so I doubt that could be it...but again, not ruling anything out.... borrow a buddys coil and see if that changes anything.

• 2 weeks later...
.....The guy I bought it from had the wiring all messed up, seems like the only thing electrically that works is the ignition.....

Have you had the engine checked/serviced, perhaps the timing is off? firing problems? carbs not balanced? have to keep ticking the list off.

Perhaps its time to just strip it down and just rebuild the electrics man, something is dicky in the system, I have run into similar problems with my car.

What plans you have for the engine anyway?

Perhaps its time to just strip it down and just rebuild the electrics man, something is dicky in the system, I have run into similar problems with my car.

What plans you have for the engine anyway?

I initially planned to sell the motor and drop some sort of clunky 8 cylinder pushrod engine in the car, but recently I've had a change of heart. I'd like to rebuild the motor to similar to factory specs and do a good amount of driving with the car. Might have something to do with the cost of a swap vs original equipment... haha. maybe in the distant future.

Sounds like a carburetor filter problem. There are small fuel filters for the carbs. Take them apart and clean em.

Cleaned em, and replaced the fuel filter. Damn, this overgrown go-kart really flies! :lol: Thanks for the suggestion!! I was thinking the other evening that it was a fuel problem... flow restricted, runs lean and idles higher, makes the problem worse and dries up what fuel it has.

Thanks to everyone for the replies :mparty: