HybridZ

R180 to R200 Pinion Flange question

PETEW

Ok. Maybe I'm not that bright (my wife would probably agree), but I have read many times over that when switching over from a R180 diff to a R200 diff that you have to change the Pinion Flange on the diff. While doing my swap I pulled off the Flange on the R180 and the R200 and it looks to me that the shaft size of the R180 is smaller, making switching pinion flanges impossible. Is it only me or is this the reality of this swap? So what are you guys doing that switch from the R180 to R200 differential? Thanks for the help.

Thanks. I know how to do the entire swap, and the 240z half shafts are actually the same length as the 280Z's. John C has that info on his website. I am just wondering why I have never read about the Pinion Flange having a different diameter shaft from the R180 to the R200. I am trying to find out if I am missing something. If I am not, how have others gotten around it. I hate having to go and try and find another drive shaft if I don't have to. Thanks.

You do not have to change the pinion flange. The only time you'll change it is if you're going from a later R200 (Z31 for example) to a Z. The S130 pinion flange has the same bolt pattern as the S30.

The parts list needed to bolt in a longnose R200 into a 240Z is as follows:

1. mustache bar from 280Z with R200

2. yoke (companion flange) from 280Z with R200

3. rear cover from 280Z or ZX with R200

4. side stub shafts from 280Z or ZX with R200 to bolt up to stock halfshafts

FOR EARLY 70-71 Z's only, you need 5 -7.

5. Longer 72-78 driveshaft

6. Curved transverse link that sits right behind the diff from 72-78 Z

7. Flip front diff mount around on crossmember

More info:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

You do not have to change the pinion flange. The only time you'll change it is if you're going from a later R200 (Z31 for example) to a Z. The S130 pinion flange has the same bolt pattern as the S30.

The parts list needed to bolt in a longnose R200 into a 240Z is as follows:

1. mustache bar from 280Z with R200

2. yoke (companion flange) from 280Z with R200

3. rear cover from 280Z or ZX with R200

4. side stub shafts from 280Z or ZX with R200 to bolt up to stock halfshafts

FOR EARLY 70-71 Z's only, you need 5 -7.

5. Longer 72-78 driveshaft

6. Curved transverse link that sits right behind the diff from 72-78 Z

7. Flip front diff mount around on crossmember

More info:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114798

Jon,

That is what I always read. I have read it here, Zcar, and many other sites that I have gone to. But my 240Z clearly has a different pinion flange on it with different spacing (in regards to the bolt holes). I have never heard of different bolt spacing from different year Z's, that is why I am posting this. I thought I heard of the '75 280Z having a different bolt pattern, but that would be from another R200 so swapping that pinion flange to a r180 would be impossible. I am really confused. I will take some pics later today and post them up so you can see. Thanks for your help.

Make sure you are looking at the bolt holes when they are clocked correctly. I made that mistake once and went out and got another drive shaft only to come home and remember the bolt pattern is a rectangle, not a square. I ended up using the other drive shaft on my current car, so it wasnt too bad of a mistake :icon45:

I know it sounds dumb but maybe try rotating the drive shaft 90* and see if the holes line up then.

It depends on what S130 the R200 came out of.

diff-flanges-2168.jpg

The non turbo S130 should have the one on the left as well as the S12 200sx turbo R200.

The one in the center is found on s130 turbos.

The one on the right fits Z31 and infiniti M30 and possibly the S13.

I measured the R180 flange that is the size of the one on the left and it does not bolt onto the R200.........the bolt is the same size and thread but the splined part of the shaft is larger.

Make sure you are looking at the bolt holes when they are clocked correctly. I made that mistake once and went out and got another drive shaft only to come home and remember the bolt pattern is a rectangle, not a square. I ended up using the other drive shaft on my current car, so it wasnt too bad of a mistake :icon45:

I know it sounds dumb but maybe try rotating the drive shaft 90* and see if the holes line up then.

Ding, Ding, Ding! Give that man a prize. I can not believe that I did not turn the drive shaft the right way. I would have swore I checked both ways, but this is what happens when you work on the car late at night after a full day of work. I guess I am just trying to prove to everyone that I am a knuckle head. :)

• 1 year later...

I am having a similar problem in that my R200 with 3.90 gears is the one in the center photo and has a companion flange that will not fit my '72 240 drive shaft. I did not think that the 280zx turbo came with 3.90 gears. Am I missing something? Where can I get a proper companion flange to put on my R200 and also, since the flange on mine is wrong, how do I know if the rear cover is the correct one?

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem in that my R200 with 3.90 gears is the one in the center photo and has a companion flange that will not fit my '72 240 drive shaft. I did not think that the 280zx turbo came with 3.90 gears. Am I missing something? Where can I get a proper companion flange to put on my R200 and also, since the flange on mine is wrong, how do I know if the rear cover is the correct one?

I have two of those differentials, the 3.90 is out of an 83 non turbo 5sp, the differential that is pictured in the middle is a 3.54 out of an 83 turbo auto. You might want to pull the rear cover off of the diff and check the ratio. If it says 39:10, it is a 3.9. The 3.54 is 39:10. I can try different drive shafts on them if you would like, I have a few laying around. ;) Oh and you will know the cover is correct if it does NOT fit your R180 mustache bar.

Edited by Tank