HybridZ

Importing 2003 corvette back into the U.S.

Corzette

Was wndering if anyone could tell me if a 2003 Corvette can be re-imported back into the U.S. without any mods. This car was bought from a Japanese car lot and probably never has been owned by an American. I know the headlights and rear brake lense covers were changed and a side panel marker added to meet Japan specs. Other that that nothing else that I know of. I should be able to just ship and drive right? Can anyone chime in.....

Thanks

Terry

If it was purchased in the U.S. and then shipped to Japan then it may not be to difficult getting back in. If specifically built for export it is a different story.

It is not on the list of eligible vehicles to import.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/elig050108.pdf'>http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/elig050108.pdf

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Thanks guys. Yeah I saw the import list but that may only apply to those cars that need mods etc. I have EMailed a couple RIs and will call customs. I cant imagine a vette not being able to come back. The only Vette that is/was made especially for Japan is the S-Spec 2009. All others should be in comliance with US specs vice what ever mods was done upon entering. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Terry

I doubt there would be any issues. They usually don't allow certain models to be street legal, because it, or the engine was either never released in the US. If there is any issue (with any car being imported) Just to get it into the US, they have you sign a form stating that the car will not be used for street use. From my understanding, they send the form to the DMV

Did you get a good enough deal to deal with the hassle? The 'Vette is unique in Japan, and pretty common in the US, could you just sell the one you have now and buy one stateside?

Good question Pete. Well I may be here for another 3 to 5 years so I am wanting to ride in style. I didnt plan on bringing it back but if I cant sell I need a plan "B". Yeah here in Japan the Vette is unique and a real sweet ride. I only paid 18K but added a few things to include rims and spoilers etc. I bought this planning on staying here awhile longer. But if my extention goes wrong or I cant sell I just needed to know I could bring back if needed. I found a sweet racing mod place for U.S. imports here and the owner is also looking into this for me. Check out the site...man makes we want to start modding now lol. Its in Osaka. http://www.sleepers-performance.com/ Oh and for the record I bought my Vette from this company here in Kanagawa. Check the site if you care too, lots of sweet rides there...I was like a kid in a candy store. http://www.fireballs.co.jp/

Terry

The VIN isn't really the issue that import inspection looks at (they check to see if it was stolen in the country its being transported from and too).

Its whether that particular model chassis has been crashed tested by US standards and if the engine meets US emissions regulations.

My uncle had his chrysler imported from Korea to Cali with no prob. (BTW cars in korea are LHD)

Ok I finally got closure on this after talking to customs and an RI. The C5 was an export only car and technically doesnt exist in the U.S. These can not be re-imported into the USA without petition. That can take months/years. So I am not closing the deal on that. However a 1992 and 1999 model can be imported at an average cost of $6000 for needed mods...still a non player. Any car over 25 years can be imported as exempt (just like my Hakosuka was). So I decided instead of buying the total restored 1981 for $25K, I found a cheaper 1981 that I can take back when time comes and still turn wrenches on (engine upgrades etc) until we leave. Too bad for me because I really wanted the C5. Here is the one I am def getting as we speak after much much consideration... http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/15/0130090403D4002513002.html

Man these cars only had 190 HP....guess Ill go nuts till I get a good 350 built for her. I suppose the same build I have for my 240 will do...some AFR 195s, Comp 276 cam, headers, 9:5:1 pistons, single plan intake and holley 750 should waken her up quite a bit. Wouldnt mind a 700R4 either as it currently has a TH350. 49,000 miles. Ill be glad when this is over...selling the 2JZ TT Aristo for $2500......

My buddy just bought (like within the past two weeks) a ZO6 (or was it a 5? do they have a ZO5? I'm not a corvette guy...) for $18K, I wouldn't bother importing one with later models of better performance going so cheap.

The end-all is to have them send you photos of the driver's door jamb, and the emissions stickers under the hood. If the compliance sticker on the door jamb states FMVSS compliance, as well as EPA, then you can reimport it no problem.

When I bought my 73Z off Roger Puffer (400MMS, Kadena AFB), that is all they looked for on rentry. And that allowed me to tick the 'complies' box on the importation form.

There is some talk about the converter being punked for operating outside the USA with no unleaded being available, but that's not the case in the time frame that Corvette was used. Even then, they only required a statement to say the converter was replaced. There was no compliance test unless it was a LOCAL (read STATE) requirement.

It's lying to the federal gubbmint, about a car...pffffft!

Last I had contact with him directly was in 91-92 when I had to get my car (er...his car) smogged!

What a cluster...

At that time he was back to Kadena, and planning on being there for a while. I never actually met him face-to-face! Only on the phone. He had sold the car during the divorce, and I got it from the guy who was going to take it to the P.I. and do a V8 Conversion on it. He couldn't get it running, and so the rest is history...

I ended up finding out who's car it was from Clyde Wood (Clyde Tomoyose) who was working up at the Torii Station Auto Hobby Shop at the time, and who had the pistons made for that engine at his dad's shop down in Naha when Roger was on the island in 81 (I think). When he returned from Nellis, he parked the car around the corner from my house off base for years. Maybe he was living out in Morgan Manor, I don't quite know. Anyway, when it came time for registration (I got popped for running around on the Japanese plates by the CHP 2 years after getting it to California...) I got in touch with him via phone for some 'documentation'.

If you have ANY photos of Roger, or his car (the Blue Z with the Headlights in the Hood) let me know, I would KILL to have some 'period correct historical shots' from the car before I put the G-Nose and Whale Tail on it.

I never thought to ask Roger for copies of any of his construction photos when he was having it built.

Maybe I should start some internet searches to see what shows up, eh? You scratched my brain on that one. I would like some photos of the car's history before me!

I digress...

Woah! Yeah, I guess!

You guys hang with Pete Skelton and Joe Geronomiller from 18EMS?

Man, Pete came on to the dorm one day after lifting and stole two slices of pizza off the CQ's table...someone had laced them with Magic Mushrooms. That was not a fun afternoon in Pete's room trying to hold him down!

Ahhh, youth...