HybridZ

Battery cable lug crimping

Dave

In the process of making my battery cables because I can't find ready made ones I really like. I have fine strand welding cable that I will use but when it comes to lug crimping I see that some solder, some crimp and solder and some are crimped only. I would think crimping alone would be good enough but I see 3 different crimp styles, indent crimping tool that uses a hammer and there's a diamond crimper that gives a square crimp and the last one is a hex crimper that is 6 sided.

What have others been doing to put both ends on their battery cables.

Electrically speaking solder is the only way to go for best conductivity. Get some solder cup ends and a Bernzomatic (sp?) torch some resin core solder and get them soldered for best results. Use the torch to melt the solder in the cup about half full, then tin plate the end of the exposed welding lead and then dip it in the solder cup end and hold. If solder spills out, no biggie just don't get it on you in the process so be wise to that.

I used a VERY thick wire (4 gauge I believe) and crimped some battery-terminal ends from my auto parts store on it. Works great. For trouble free longevity though, I'd have to agree with dr_hunt; nothing beats soldered connections, even though you could just crimp it and look at it in one year or so and see, if anything is wrong with it. Leave a little extra slack on it, just in case it does go bad and you need to cut a fresh end...

Oh, and since you're doing this, I found a battery distribution block to be a very neat thing to have. In case you are putting your battery in the trunk or so that is...

I did not mention it in the starting post but there is a distribution block with a 5/16" stud on the firewall that is used for the lead to the starter and the power tap for the add-ons. I plan to move the battery later and I will start at the distribution block. For the time being the battery is in the stock location.

With the lead to the starter that is hex crimped there is no room for solder, and I don't think soldering and crimping is the way to go. When I bought the welding lead and lugs they offered to crimp them and the finished product looks well done.