HybridZ

my 71 240z w rb25det... almost ready

RS Speed

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oil relocation kits still have an adapter that screws into our oil filter housing so either way you are screwing something :) I can easily access my filter so I didn't want one but my buddies s14 is using one and its been great. All the oil lines are SS with -an fittings, Headlight are from ebay with a HID conversion.

How big are your lines? I was thinking -8. Is that too big?

Are those headlights the projector ones?

• 2 weeks later...

NEW TURBO IS INSTALLED!!!! sadly its been freezing/raining in SoCal and I've been sick as a dog so I've only driving her 5 miles or so. Hopefully I will go for a quick testdrive after work today and give her a little base tune for the added air. I ended up going with a turbonetics 60-1 on a .63 stage 3 turbine. With the little driving I've done I noticed 12 psi or so around 3k rpm, sounds like a diesel turbo winding down from boost :) Ill snap some pictures in the next few days when I get a chance, really busy schedule this week.

Also thanks to Eric from the forum who dropped off my CV axles at my work place today, as soon as my adapters arrive the CV conversion will be over. I aslo got one of the ron tyler mounts and new bearings so the rear end should feel a LOT better after this step is done. The old goat is really starting to come together. After the CV conversion I need to install the alcohol injection and go put down 400 on a quick dyno session :) this should hold me off until I re-coop and figure out the next step I need to take.

EDIT: I had a few pics on my iphone:

tt2.jpg

This is my buddies turbo but mine is the exact same thing but newer lol, I just didn't snap a picture of mine. His s14 is my Z's sister car, identical engine mods from a to z.

tt1.jpg

the 250sx and 250z together lol (Range Rover backed up into the s14 so excuse the janky front end allignment and carbon hood being held together by RED TAPE!!!)

tt3.jpg

NEW TURBO IS INSTALLED!!!! sadly its been freezing/raining in SoCal and I've been sick as a dog so I've only driving her 5 miles or so. Hopefully I will go for a quick testdrive after work today and give her a little base tune for the added air. I ended up going with a turbonetics 60-1 on a .63 stage 3 turbine. With the little driving I've done I noticed 12 psi or so around 3k rpm, sounds like a diesel turbo winding down from boost :) Ill snap some pictures in the next few days when I get a chance, really busy schedule this week.

Also thanks to Eric from the forum who dropped off my CV axles at my work place today, as soon as my adapters arrive the CV conversion will be over. I aslo got one of the ron tyler mounts and new bearings so the rear end should feel a LOT better after this step is done. The old goat is really starting to come together. After the CV conversion I need to install the alcohol injection and go put down 400 on a quick dyno session :) this should hold me off until I re-coop and figure out the next step I need to take.

Man I'm dying to see ur results with the turbo. How much was the upgrade? Which manifold did u go with?

I feel u about the rain n being sick. I'm in the same boat. My car has just been sitting waiting. Feel better man.

Well I've been driving it around for a week and so far I love it hahaha. I'm having a little boost spike issue so I can't turn the boost up to high since the spike makes me uneasy, Ive got a fix in the works but I havent implemented it yet... just enjoying the car for now. As it is I'm spiking 16 and then it holds ~12. Its a buttload faster at 12 than the car ever was with the NEO turbo at 15. I can't imagine how fun it will be once I get her running clean at a solid 16-17 psi, I think that's as far as I am going to push it on 91 octane/stock block but its silly as it is :)

dude, that Z is nasty!

btw my prior postings, i was talking about rb, but i couldnt find a oil pan..

i went the "bare bones" swap (83 l28et)... budget was over 5k. i tried to not do a cheap build, ya its running and holding great. like you said about trusting nissan engines, they do last. run them out of oil, run them out of coolant, still come back! Trust ME.....

but cool man, those rb25's are built realy well, 350 will last you a long while. 400 with alcohol will be great man!

so how is the "bently/91 civic" riding? over all?

and when are we gonna see this BEAST in magazines?!!?

I actually installed my seal kit last night... wish I did it sooner the car feels like a bently lol... well maybe a 91 civic but its a step up from a dry rotted 71 datsun lol

Yeah I love these things , they are problematic at times (read ahead lol) but pretty rewarding. Sadly last night my RMS started leaking and its building a puddle between the motor/trans.... think im gonna shut her down till after the new year to pull the trans and do my rearend upgrades at once. On a bright note I walked on a 2010 carrera S yesterday at only 12 psi so I'm pretty happy despite the seal leaking.

Cars riding nice, the seals are a great addition to the car, Id say maybe a 92 prelude LOL bently was a bit of a stretch hahaha

About the magazine.... Modified mag or superstreet is going to have my car in the January or February issue :mrgreen: I'm doing a collaboration with my friend which does graphic design for skateboards and he wants to start doing valvecovers. Were pretty much okayed for early next year but I'll post a thread when I get confirmation for sure :)

dude, that Z is nasty!

btw my prior postings, i was talking about rb, but i couldnt find a oil pan..

i went the "bare bones" swap (83 l28et)... budget was over 5k. i tried to not do a cheap build, ya its running and holding great. like you said about trusting nissan engines, they do last. run them out of oil, run them out of coolant, still come back! Trust ME.....

but cool man, those rb25's are built realy well, 350 will last you a long while. 400 with alcohol will be great man!

so how is the "bently/91 civic" riding? over all?

and when are we gonna see this BEAST in magazines?!!?

I actually installed my seal kit last night... wish I did it sooner the car feels like a bently lol... well maybe a 91 civic but its a step up from a dry rotted 71 datsun lol

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on a few different things, snapped a few pics. One is my 300zx gauges conversion and the other is the valve cover graphics. This guy designs skateboards and hes wanting to move into valve covers so were using my car as a demo sorta. Should be in modified mag within the next few months but I'll keep it updated. Anyhoot on to some pics!

It depicts me in the background (big eyes)looking into a test tube and making some kind of an RB concoction LOL, I love my logo connecting the two valve covers :)

z1.jpg

Engine bays been getting pretty dirty with all the daily driving lol... gonna clean her up before the photo shoot and I got a new battery since this pic... thing was toast.

z2.jpg

Basic setup of the gauges out of the housing, its all been trimmed now but I snapped this pic during the construction phase

z3.jpg

Note that 300zx's dont have odometers on the speedos, its off in the corner of the cluster.... this took some tinkering to get right lol

z4.jpg

Back shot of the rpm gauge.... To the right of the picture is my old RPM gauge which is actually mounted to the datsun face and calibrated to read properly with the rb motor and datsun face... Its for sale if anyone wants a RPM gauge which works on the RB motor and looks like OEM [end plug] lol

z5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
These were printed directly on to aluminum and I think they can only do flat surfaces, the hump in the middle might cause a problem on the 26. The flat section in the middle cover looks like it could be done.

I like the cover a lot, he may have some business... where you at in CA. I live by south bay.