HybridZ

Clutch Issues tranny swap

I bought a 280z, 78 model. I am having issues with the clutch. The previous owner said the guy before him put a 5 speed in. The problem is there is no clutch adjustment left at the pedal, and the pin sticks way out before it touches the clutch fork at the slave cylinder. I tried bleeding and there is no air in the lines......Could the parts be off? I am totally new to zs so I am trying to learn as much as possible.....I searched hard....I even tried to add to another old thread, but it was in the 300 forum....sorry. Last of all, I am trying to find a list of what engines and trannies were in what cars in what years and info on them......Sorry for the long post

This forum is dedicated to the modification (to the extreme in many cases) of the Z-series. Your questions are best answered over at www.classiczcars.com and www.zcar.com

You will not find many threads addressing your questions here, but there is a wealth of information regarding the stock S30s (240z, 260z and 280z) at www.classiczcars.com

First,...Welcome. I may be corrected , but I thought all 78's were 5 spds.

What problem are you having? Doesn't disengage? High pedal? Gear clash ?

Your questions are welcome here, as many have nissan 4 & 5 spd transmissions in their cars. NO NEED to go elsewhere.

Explain the PROBLEM you are having....Tommy

The pressure plates used in the clutches varied in height from the flywheel to the throw-out bearing contact point. Because of this, there are several different length throw-out bearing sleeves/collars (the part that holds the throw-out bearing. The condition you describe can result from having for example, the shorter 280Z collar in combination with a 240Z pressure plate. Take a look at this: http://www.zparts.com/zptech/articles/trans_swap%20parts/4tobear_specs1.html

007240Z....Your response, IMHO, is spot on and should be helpful to the very appropriate question that was ask. KTM....I don't want to start a pissing contest but to refer a new member to another site for advice, who posted a legitimate question, is not what I hope this site is about. Let's not get our noses too high in the air, and turn away new members who want to grow along with the reat of us non experts.

Ok, now that I've posted in haste, I would like to add that if Tattoo Deuce's problem is the wrong Throw-out bearing collar, he obviously needs a longer one. I'm a little worried that the zparts.com article I reffered to may not be entirerly accurate. I have other information that says the 240Z collar is the shortest one with the 280Z being longer. I will look through my notes, do some more research, and post what I find.

Well I dug into my archives and came up with this:

The critical dimension for the throw out bearing sleeve is the distance between the surface that the fork contacts and the surface that the throw-out bearing seats on when pressed onto the sleeve. I can't guarrantee this information is 100% accurate, but it is consistant with my personal experience with Z car clutches. This list was compiled by Carl Beck of zhome.com.

For the 225mm clutch disc (2 seat coupe) -

up to 8-'71 240, 16mm, 30501-U0200

9-'71 to 11-'74 240 and 260, 18mm, 30501-S0200

from 12-'74 280 and 280ZX, 28mm, 30501-N1600

For the 240mm clutch disc (2+2) -

all 240mm/2+2, 24mm, 30501-0H600

As I mentioned before, the distance that is changing on the pressure plate is the height from the flywheel up to the release fingers on the pressure plate that the throw-out bearing presses on. Because the pivot for the clutch fork is closer to the throw-out bearing, this difference is multiplied out at the slave cylinder.

Another problem is that it seems to be common to recieve a 280Z clutch set when a 240/260Z clutch is ordered. I bought a Clutch Masters clutch for my 240Z that even had a different part number than the 280Z, yet I still needed the longer 280Z sleeve.

Hope this helps.

Mayolives, it has nothing to do with having my nose in the air, so your statement is not appreciated. I was referring him to those sites simply because they seem to more readily answer the basic questions than Hybridz exactly for the reason you stated! If you open your eyes and look at how many basic questions go unanswered it is astounding.

Zcar.com and Classiczcars.com are fantastic resources. I am a member of both and I routinely search there FIRST for simple questions because such threads here are usually not answered. It is a matter of which resource has the better information.

This thread is a great example of what I am talking about. Its been three days and look at the (lack of) replies.

What exactly have YOU contributed to this thread? Seems to me jack squat. I gave him resources to further his search for an answer. If you READ his first statement, he tried to search and could not really find an answer, again for the exact reason I just stated.

'been a long week and I am grouchy