HybridZ

Beau's 78 2+2

I decided to paint my tranny today, for no particular reason. Like the previous pictures show, it had been painted black in the past, and looked like crap. I picked up some paint I thought was gray and started cleaning. Doesn't the cap of this look gray to you?

spaceship4.jpg

Well, I started spraying and whoa. BLING BLING. Its very shiny, almost chrome-like. Not what I intended, but it will do.

spaceship2.jpg

spaceship.jpg

I asked the wife how she thought it looked. She says it looks like a spaceship. Works for me.

I made a little more progress today. I borrowed a pressure washer and went to town on the front end of the car. After a few sessions it cleaned up pretty good. I then sprayed the wheel wells with rubberized undercoating, and will be painting the engine bay in the next few days I hope.

enginebay001.jpg

enginebay003.jpg

enginebay004.jpg

enginebay007.jpg

enginebay008.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress! First, I got a new timing chain:

timing002.jpg

Next I got some gaskets and slapped the heads back on:

engineNov23002.jpg

Then I masked it off, and painted the block:

engineNov23076.jpg

I took my intake and timing cover to the machinist to get cleaned, then painted them with the same paint I used on the transmission. I guess its alright. I am going for a red-white-blue theme with the engine, so being a little more shiny works.

engineNov23082.jpg

engineNov23081.jpg

The oil pan got a coat of Ford blue. All new gaskets and bolts all around.

engineNov23078.jpg

engineNov23080.jpg

Next step is some valve covers and a harmonic dampener.

• 2 weeks later...

Santa came to my house a little early this year. I got a lot of new parts, I'm pretty excited. OK, here is the first batch: A new clutch from e-bay, tranny mount from JTR, and re-surfaced flywheel fresh from the machine shop:

parts011.jpg

Because I have a ford drive train and the tranny mount is for a chevy, I had to enlarge the hole in the mount. Not terribly difficult, and should give me an inch or two play with side to side. Also painted it red, so its faster.

parts023.jpg

I also got some headers from Speedway Motors. I really hope they fit, they are block huggers and work with my GT40p heads, which is kind of hard to find. Here they are raw:

parts013-1.jpg

I cleaned them up with a wire wheel and some acetone, then shot some silver VHT high temp paint on them. I hope it does what it's supposed to and hold up to the heat, but I am skeptical.

parts016-1.jpg

parts017.jpg

I got a universal 302 cross member and some rubber engine mounts from Speedway Motors. In theory, I should be able to cut the member the width of the frame rails, slip it in and weld it up. I have a feeling the steering shaft and headers are going to complicate things. I bought a new harmonic dampener and threw that on, along with another blue pulley. Here are a bunch of pics of the mount mocked up to the engine with the headers on:

parts024.jpg

parts027-1.jpg

parts029.jpg

parts030-1.jpg

parts031.jpg

So, I think I almost have everything I need to try and stab this thing into the car. It won't be hooked up or anything, but having the engine in the car will be a huge step and morale boost.

:o

Just a little update. I put the new clutch in and the tranny on. This was my first clutch job ever, it was easier than I thought it would be and gave me a good idea of how a clutch works. Here is the flywheel bolted on with new bolts. Yes I cleaned it real good before putting the clutch disk in:

003.jpg

004.jpg

I forgot to take a picture with the pressure plate on. I had to make a run to ACE for some new bolts, turns out the flywheel is metric. Anyway, here is the tranny mounted to the engine.

007.jpg

005.jpg

My next steps are to cut off the transmission mount "ears" under the Z. I also have to move some hoses and lines, but then I can trial fit the engine. Things are moving along nicely lately. I really hope this thing runs :)

• 4 weeks later...

And she's in! There is not nearly as much room to play with as I thought there would be. Its tucked down behind the front crossover, and the balancer is about an inch above the steering rack. I see that there will be some clearance issues in a few places, such as the firewall and the tranny tunnel. The headers fit great though, and that is wonderful news.

010.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

Here's a couple headder pics:

016.jpg

017.jpg

Now for motor mounts. Ugh. My inexperience and impatience are going to show in the following pictures, but if I did something wrong and my engine falls out on the freeway its all my fault.

First, I cut my new x-member in half. I got a small length of pipe with an inner diameter the same as the x-members outer diameter. This allowed me to take the x-member out in pieces. This was VERY helpful during mock-up.

jan01002.jpg

But, I found I had a problem. With the engine in the proper place, the points where the x-member were supposed to attach to the frame were pointing directly at the TC rod buckets. It was about 2 inches too low. Here is where not enough experience and a few too many beers comes in. I decided to cut windows in the TC buckets:

jan01004.jpg

I used 2" angle steel, 12" long to sit on the frame rails. I then cut little 2" x 4" pieces to drop down from the angle iron into the windows I cut, which the x-member ends could connect to. Hopefully the pictures can explain it better than I. But like I said, this is probably not the best way to get this done.

jan01005.jpg

jan01014.jpg

Here it it with the engine bolted up. The next step is to figure out a way to bolt this thing to the frame, clearance things, and re-run all the brake and fuel lines I had to cut out during the engine mock-up. Stay tuned!

jan01008.jpg

jan01011.jpg

jan01012.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today is a sad, sad day. I have sold the Datsun. I bought another car that I have been pestering the owner about for 6 years or so. I wanted to keep both of them, bu I don't have the space or the funds to support two projects. I gave the guy who bought it a good deal, mostly because he wants to fix it up for his kids. I had a lot of time and effort tied up in this car, and never thought I would sell it. But, things happen, and now I have this to play with:

047.jpg

DSCF2001.jpg

042.jpg

I just want to say thanks to everyone here who has helped me out with the Z. You all make this one of the best automotive forums I have been a part of. Now, I need to start researching how to put the 302 that was meant for the Z in this thing. :2thumbs: