HybridZ

Engine Lifting Points?

TABrinn

What is the best point on the motor to secure the chain to when removing it from the car? None of my manuals specifically say! This is the first engine I've pulled and I rather ask a really stupid question than break or otherwize damage something!

There should be a bracket located up front where the mechanical fuel pump is or would be located. The other point is often the last manifold bolt but that isn't my choice. I pull the bellhousing bolt to the driver's side and attach my chain there. It's much stronger and won't possibly damage the head. I also use a spreader bar that allows me to shift the balance as I manuever the engine/trans out of and into the car.

When we pulled the engine and transmission out of my car we used the engine mounts. This was the first engine that I pulled from a car, and it went really well except for the mess we made.

101_2417.jpg

That looks like the hard way.

Fuel pump bolt and last manifold bolt work just fine, even better if you have the stock engine hooks on the car.

A load leveler is the way to go, they run about $40 from Harbor Freight. As you can see from Jack's picture, best to drain the trans if you're pulling it with the motor.

Pulled this last week. Had no problems even with the shifter still attached. Just watch the steering column and power steering lines and you're good to go.

P1070091.jpg

That works fine until you have a pretty engine you don't want messed up. :-)

I have pulled lots of engines and I almost always use a trans to engine bolt for a solid mounting spot. Up front, either a solid accessory mount bolt or (for the L28 specifically) the fuel pump bolt hole works great.