HybridZ

Oil burning on engine breaking only???

Guest mattrp

Guest mattrp

My 305 in my 72 datsun burns oil horribly, but only during engine braking. I went autocrossing, which never uses engine braking, but revs high, didn't suck down a drop of oil. But on normal streets where you shift down a gear and let the engine slow you down, the engine just pumps the blue smoke out the tailpipe, and I am quickly a quart down. At no other time does it act this way. I have tried the restore stuff, and the heads are rebuilt, but the rings have many miles. Is this just a characteristic of old rings?

Matt

72 500Z

I agree with John on this one. When braking

all the oil that is pumped to the top side of your motor may be flowing heavy to the #

1 and 2 cylders and a large volume of oil

is running down the valve guides... Do a

compression test, if it is good the it is

positively the guides... Pull your heads and get them re-worked or replaced and you should be ok...

BTW, Engine braking is not a good idea. I did this for years until I went to a drivers training school. They had some real good examples of parts failure due to engine braking a car. Driving instructor chewed me a new one every time he saw me doing it on the road course and it eventually broke me from doing it.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk