HybridZ

81 280zx 2+2 starting issues

zx28

I have owned this 280zx for about three years now, when i bought it (for 300$) it was sitting behind a man s house for the past twelve years. I put a battery on the thing and turned it over a time or two after adding some new gas and the thing fired right up. I never had starting issues with the car until now. Here lately the car has been frustrating to start. If i turn the key everything comes on as usual, but when i turn it to start i can hear the fuel pump come on but the starter wont turn over. Usually by turning the key on and off a couple of times it ll start right up. It has been getting progressively harder to get it to turn over as time goes on, so im wondering what could be causing this. I ve checked connections, its getting fire to the starter, but it wont turn over with the key. Is my ignition wore out? Is there a relay i should check? any suggestions are appreciated. thanks

Sounds like you have a Starter Problem. if theirs power to the Starter then theres a couple things.....

1: The impeller is sticking, sometimes rolling it forwards or backwards will free it up.

2: the solenoid has a Dead spot, meaning it dosent get its juice off and on.

So you can either open the starter up clean off contacts on the bolts and studs Check ground. other than that its prolly the Starter solenoid.

kits I think might be hard to find but I found that the KA24DE 240sx starter solenoid is closly similar and you can change the armatures out if they dont match exactly but the rest of the starter is pretty much the same.

Oh one thing. When you go to start your dash lights dont go out do they? That would be a bad ground or bad battery.

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds like you have a Starter Problem. if theirs power to the Starter then theres a couple things.....

1: The impeller is sticking, sometimes rolling it forwards or backwards will free it up.

2: the solenoid has a Dead spot, meaning it dosent get its juice off and on.

So you can either open the starter up clean off contacts on the bolts and studs Check ground. other than that its prolly the Starter solenoid.

kits I think might be hard to find but I found that the KA24DE 240sx starter solenoid is closly similar and you can change the armatures out if they dont match exactly but the rest of the starter is pretty much the same.

Oh one thing. When you go to start your dash lights dont go out do they? That would be a bad ground or bad battery.

No the lights dont go out. So if my solenoid is the problem, will my starter off of my 280z's original motor work?

Edited by zx28
duh factor