HybridZ

Powerstroke or Cummins in a 280zx?

sanders8800

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cummins diesel, I believe, is about 560lbs. Not MUCH more than a BBC, which has been done.

You can get a LOT of power out of a diesel though...and for probably a little less than a regular V8.

DO IT!!!! ...and post lots of pics. :)

Maybe the bare BLOCK, not a complete motor!

I say it would be great for an all out drag car, but if you plan to go around corners AT ALL it would be a bad idea. Just my opinion...that would be like a what? 65/35 front to rear weight distribution?

Actually thinking about it. The Z is about 2500 lbs stock right? L6 with 4spd is 530 lbs so that would be 1970lbs. Add 1500 lbs for the diesel...3470lbs and that 1500 is all front-mid weight so it may actually be closer to 70/30?

I found this. Very discouraging to me, but all I did was glance at it. I love diesel engines but I hate a ton of weight http://www.adieselengine.com/new_page_1.htm

Im sure those are semi engines. as a 6cyl cummins ina truck is a 6bt and should be smaller than those inthe link. you may look into the 4bt those are smaller and lighter. I just found this place it has a ton of good info for dims. and weight:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8187

Jeremy

duramax with a turbo 400 would probably be most likely. I think they have about the same dimensions as a bbc. I'm sure all of you know about the duramaxx powered mustang that runs in the 9's and gets 33mpg or something like that. Be ready to spend some money though unless you find a good deal on one. For a used stock engine they have been going for about 3500-6000 depending on miles and year. I've been looking.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I tend to do that a lot. But...LD28 huh? Does it weigh about the same as the L28 N/A? That sounds intriguing. Wasn't there a guy here making a DET head for L6s by using 2 KA24 heads? Couldn't you use that idea and modify the spark plug holes to use injectors and have a direct inject LD28? And then you could put as much boost to it as you want because you dont have the octane issue. How's the revs of a LD28? Wikipedia didn't have anything about it and I couldn't find anything in search engines.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I tend to do that a lot. But...LD28 huh? Does it weigh about the same as the L28 N/A? That sounds intriguing. Wasn't there a guy here making a DET head for L6s by using 2 KA24 heads? Couldn't you use that idea and modify the spark plug holes to use injectors and have a direct inject LD28? And then you could put as much boost to it as you want because you dont have the octane issue. How's the revs of a LD28? Wikipedia didn't have anything about it and I couldn't find anything in search engines.

Its 3 Ka24 heads and he isn't producing them. Just a one off custom piece. I would be nervous using it with the compression of a diesel motor anyways.

The LD28 came in the maximas in 81-83. There's a video of a white 240z with one in it floating around on youtube. The swap has been talked about on here before too. I don't know too much about the motors but I believe they have an iron head, different stroke, and smaller bore than your standard l28.

I know you have to modify the oil pickup because the oil pan is a front sump.

The only thing I found so far is a white Z that had the crank from a LD28 in his L28 to make a 3.2 ltr. I didn't expect the KA head thing to be produced, just mentioned it because if it works than anyone could make it. I was just thinking out loud. Is there any DOHC heads for L-series engines? I saw one on youtube, but from what I read that was a rare datsun factory thing. I thought OS Giken made one but dont see anything on their site or anything.

Here the LD28 came in a number of different cars, the Laurel diesels, Cefiro, some light trucks, Patrols. theres a good number around. checking out Trademe.co.nz, theres an LD28 plus GBox for $600 now, about 300 USD. thats about standard for a workign engine, the price normally ranges about $300 to $800 depending on condition for a running motor.

Its 3 Ka24 heads

It's 2 heads. One cut in half and the other has the number 1 and 4 cylinder cut off it.

As for a diesel, you won't get the power out of an LD28 that you will out of a powerstroke or cummins.

The good thing is that it basically bolts in, you can bolt the turbo manifold to it, and modify the fuel setup to compensate for boost.